Jump to content
BANGKOK 22 May 2019 21:50
atyclb

Retirement extension but outside thailand for extended periods and bank deposits

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Only if they are from the US..

Yes, only US citizens can get O-A visas in the USA. I think everyone understood my sentence that "people going back to the US for the O-A visa" meant people who are only from the US. Thanks anyway...

 

Edited by JohnnyBD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

I'm ok, I have the 800k in bank. I'm just trying to understand why some people go back to USA to get O-A visa and then do a border run for a 2nd year stay when they could go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 2nd year stay. Ubonjoe more or less explained...

 

The other differences are:

--the O-A visa allows you to keep your bank funds in your home country, and doesn't require their being brought into Thailand and deposited into and kept in a Thai bank.

--But the O-A visa also typically requires you to obtain medical and police clearances in your home country that must be submitted to the Thai Embassy or consulate. The retirement extension of stay at Immigration doesn't require those.

 

Some people travel back to their home countries regularly anyway... Others don't and want a solution that allows them to stay in Thailand without having to travel internationally.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

The other differences are:

--the O-A visa allows you to keep your bank funds in your home country, and doesn't require their being brought into Thailand and deposited into and kept in a Thai bank.

--But the O-A visa also typically requires you to obtain medical and police clearances in your home country that must be submitted to the Thai Embassy or consulate. The retirement extension of stay at Immigration doesn't require those.

 

Some people travel back to their home countries regularly anyway... Others don't and want a solution that allows them to stay in Thailand without having to travel internationally.

 

 

Thanks for explaining... That makes sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This is a good example of how idiotic Thai Immigrations new rules are for a simple one year visa extension.  There are so many expats that travel extensively yet are based in Thailand.      

The extension is designed for people that want to live permanently in the country, not use it as a base.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

 

 

imo seems patently absurd if the person is outside of thailand and would be better served to withdraw from their home bank atm still needing to transfer and incur transfer fees every month.

This is a good example of how idiotic Thai Immigrations new rules are for a simple one year visa extension.  There are so many expats that travel extensively yet are based in Thailand.      

 

 

a rational person/system would look at passport and see you have been outside thailand and connect the dots and not penalize you for not sending money to the country you have not been present in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, elviajero said:
4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This is a good example of how idiotic Thai Immigrations new rules are for a simple one year visa extension.  There are so many expats that travel extensively yet are based in Thailand.      

The extension is designed for people that want to live permanently in the country, not use it as a base.

 

2 bkk condos and a couple of hundred k usd invested and nickel and dimed to death with unnecessary hassles. i used to think root canal was perhaps the worst experience i have had. well having had 2 root canals i can say the root canals are now preferable to visa hassles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, atyclb said:

 

 

a rational person/system would look at passport and see you have been outside thailand and connect the dots and not penalize you for not sending money to the country you have not been present in

You are correct but that assumtion would eliminate the majority of Thai Immigration officers.  To watch what Thai Immigration leaders are coming up with weekly is mind boggling, as the four western embassies say and do nothing. 😞 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elviajero said:

The extension is designed for people that want to live permanently in the country, not use it as a base.

What is the source of that statement, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bickering/hair splitting/semantics,  posts removed.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...