Biggest U.S. college fraud bust nets actors Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin

webfact

20 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I had a class where I had to crank out one of those per week. Doesn't seem particularly onerous.

It is when you have to do it. And who says I didnt have to do them for class every week too? That was just the departmental thesis.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Good technique. Too bad they never make an effective argument, they just, like the older peers, devolve to insults. 

Either you never had kids or you wanted them to be little mimics of yourself.

There nearly always comes a time when kids are young adults.

They question and probe. If you taught them to be insulting, then you have failed as a parent.

Good children should question and you need to give them adult answers. Not indoctrinate.

Up to you, but by your answer, you already failed the most basic thing a parent can do.

Learn and show respect. I wish you well in how they perceive you now. 

1 minute ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Either you never had kids or you wanted them to be little mimics of yourself.

There nearly always comes a time when kids are young adults.

They question and probe. If you taught them to be insulting, then you have failed as a parent.

Good children should question and you need to give them adult answers. Not indoctrinate.

Up to you, but by your answer, you already failed the most basic thing a parent can do.

Everyone's got biases, and truth be told I think I'm correct in most of my biases. Still, I try not to pass on my biases, or at the very least declare I hold this or that bias and give my reasoning for holding it.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

As an amusing distraction:

Boston and Stamford derive their names from small towns in Lincolnshire England.

These towns have renamed their technical colleges from Boston/Stamford Technical College, to  Boston/Stamford College.

Since doing so they are doing a roaring trade recruiting Chinese Students.

The fakery spreads.

Umm, it’s Stanford University (technically “Leland Stanford Jr. University) named after the founder’s son who died aged 15, before he could attend university himself. It’s not named after an English town.

2 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Umm, it’s Stanford University (technically “Leland Stanford Jr. University) named after the founder’s son who died aged 15, before he could attend university himself. It’s not named after an English town.

Different schools.

11 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Although I dont need to justify myself to someone who can barely write a coherent sentence, I really dont need your wishes as my brat is quite successful thanks. She still thinks like a brainwashed simplistic leftie idiot sometimes, but now that she is out of school with a fatcash job and all that, and has traveled around, she has a more rounded perspective, like her fat dad.

59 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Notwithstanding the old story of walking barefoot through the snow for 6 miles to go to school, I could not graduate college in 1981 sans a typed (IBM selectric) 24 page double spaced thesis. And open book exams did not exist.

I gave a midterm and a final. The classes were scheduled once per week for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Students were required to write two out of a choice of three essays in a bluebook. They could use their readings and notes to answer the questions. I gave these type exams from 1984 through 2009 until I came to Mahidol, where the system simply wouldn't work.

9 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I gave a midterm and a final. The classes were scheduled once per week for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Students were required to write two out of a choice of three essays in a bluebook. They could use their readings and notes to answer the questions. I gave these type exams from 1984 through 2009 until I came to Mahidol, where the system simply wouldn't work.

I challenged a Humanities class once. I was given 3 hours to write on the topic in a bluebook. I sat there and thought about it for an hour or so and the first thing I came up with was to pull the middle 8 pages out of the bluebook. After that the ideas I'd been incubating for an hour just flowed and i ran out of room at the end, which is kind of ironic.

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Everyone's got biases, and truth be told I think I'm correct in most of my biases. Still, I try not to pass on my biases, or at the very least declare I hold this or that bias and give my reasoning for holding it.

My favourite author is Gene Wolfe. He has a quote which I enjoy.

"I am a democratic critic. I know I am right, but I know that sometimes you may be right too"

I was harsh when I made my last post but I dislike children not being able to think for themselves as they adjust to an ever changing world and attitudes.

Because I do not know your circumstances, I should not have been such an idiot. I apologise. But I am still correct. lol. Cheers 

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Different schools.

Ahh, in hindsight I understand what they were referring to. It’s just that the original story was about higher end/elite schools and mentioned Stanford. The “Stamford” misspelling is quite common when referring to Stanford.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Its good to see the Hollywood elite being exposed for the corrupt swine they are.

And they have the gall to comment on Trump. Bunch of self righteous a-holes.

I didn't know that Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin had been elected to be the representatives of the Hollywood Elite, whatever that is. And what about the rest of the parents? If one of them is a doctor, will that make all members of the medical profession "self righteous a-holes" as well. And whatever milieu or profession other parents belong to, will that constitute a similiar indictment? I don't know what profession or socialogical group you can be pigeon-holed into, but if one of these parents turns out to be a member, would that make you a "self-righteous a-hole" as well?

Its good to see the Hollywood elite being exposed for the corrupt swine they are.

And they have the gall to comment on Trump. Bunch of self righteous a-holes.

And apart from the foolishness of assigning guilt to a whole class of people for the transgressions of a few, as far as these charges go, none of them defrauded people out of a total of $25,000,000. 

11 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

25 with a Masters. Care to debate me by PM? Most lefties are scared.????

I'd prefer not to PM you.   I can barely deal with reading your posts.   So how much did you have to pay to get him into Uni?   Are you nervous?

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

I can barely deal with reading your posts.

Well I can barely deal with writing them so we are even.

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

So how much did you have to pay to get him into Uni?   Are you nervous?

Who and why, pray tell? You are confusing me.

"....and parents who paid into it could all face up to 20 years in prison if convicted."    LMAO

Yah, right!!! The person writing that article must be incredibly naive to think any of the rich and privileged parents involved will see the inside of a prison......except on TV from the freedom and comfort of their homes.  A legal system bought and owned by the rich will teach the children of the rich that no consequences face them for any illegal actions down the road. 

11 hours ago, Inn Between said:

"....and parents who paid into it could all face up to 20 years in prison if convicted."    LMAO

Yah, right!!! The person writing that article must be incredibly naive to think any of the rich and privileged parents involved will see the inside of a prison......except on TV from the freedom and comfort of their homes.  A legal system bought and owned by the rich will teach the children of the rich that no consequences face them for any illegal actions down the road. 

Is this the USA copying Thailand, or is it vice versa.

5 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

wow so slick...what a debater.

just pointing out my glee at the holier than thou Hollywood elite being exposed as the crooks they are.

Right.  Of course the majority of the people who cheated the college entrance system were wealthy business elite, but no one is surprised to learn they are crooks.

Just now, heybruce said:

Right.  Of course the majority of the people who cheated the college entrance system were wealthy business elite, but no one is surprised to learn they are crooks.

no surprise there...but this topic is about hollywoods beloved as cheaters.

Felicity Huffman is an Oscar winning actress..

She is an Oscar nominated actress, she didn't win.  Hundreds of "celebrities" fall into that category, and I'd never heard of them, her, or the film she was nominated for.

33 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I literally watch hundreds of films....cant remember everything....what is true is

she's not a nobody as you assert

But is she one of "Hollywood's beloved" as you assert?

And as for Lori Loughlin..it is to laugh. Her husband, who was also arrested, is apparently a vocal Trump supporter.

https://uproxx.com/viral/lori-loughlin-husband-mossimo-giannulli-trump-supporter/2/

And she was treated very gently in an interview by the Christian Broadcasting Network where she voiced sentiments that certainly wouldn't qualify as left coast social values. 

http://www1.cbn.com/700club/actress-lori-loughlin-balancing-family-faith-and-career

I literally watch hundreds of films....cant remember everything....what is true is

she's not a nobody as you assert

I described her as "moderately successful".   I disputed your claim that she was "Hollywood beloved" and "hollywoods elite".  I never described her as a nobody.

You have once again confirmed that you make stuff up and post it.

Both of these actresses are best known for US series that went on for years.  Never heard of LL before.  Huffman was on Desperate Housewives, a drama series not to be confused with a reality show of similar name.  (While living in Malaysia it was one of the few English language tv shows that didn't nauseate me.)  What I find ironic is that her character on the show (middle-class mom) was known for going to any length to protect her kids.  Her real-life husband (Macy) is probably best know for playing the sniveling, scheming wimp in Fargo -- I find that funny too.

It seems the outrage has to do with the new-money elite (like show-biz people) but not the long-established respectable families.  Eg, the Bush family have Yale alumni going back to the 19th century, including membership in that infamous fraternity.  Does anyone truly believe that W was admitted into Yale on his academic merit?  And look how smart his Ivy League education made him! (He himself makes self-deprecating jokes about it.)  Anyone from a family that has a building named for a family member at a higher education institute will not be required to take an entrance exam or produce (legit) SAT scores. 

I supported myself by tutoring while in uni, and several times I was offered to take admissions tests for someone else: this is nothing new.

Archived