Neighbors trying to kill my Tookays

I have 6 Tookays 5 of which I've watched grow from eggs.  They are nice little fellows and eat a lot of bugs especially roaches and termites which I really appreciate.

My lady neighbor though well educated is afraid of them and has is passing that fear along to her children.  The Tookays don't bother anyone and are quiet most of the time

as they are females.  But it's an uphill battle.  My dog does not like them and my wife and my next door neighbors.  I've even given them cute names like, "Tinkerbell" but to no

avail.  Last night the lady hired two guys to come in and chase one.  I told her to just call me.  I'll remove them if they wander on your property.  But I really don't know how

to keep the little critters only in my yard.  There is a wall of course but since they climb on ceilings that's not much use. 

Don't know how to convince my wife, there are so many things in the world to really be afraid of why add one that is completely harmless. 

They are worth a lot of money as Chinese medicine, about a thousand baht for a half kilo one or around a foot long, bigger ones goes up to 5000 baht, some claim 15-16 inch ones are paid around 10-20,000 baht, but I don't think those exist and it is just a ploy for the buyer to drum up their business, saying they pay up to50,000 for a tookkae

so, say it is your pet, anyone try to catch them is going to be sued for theft, but then you have to find a way to keep them on your side of the fence 

unfortunately they are also Thai boogeyman, parents like to scare their child into doing something will say that the tookae will get them unless they wash the dishes etc.

31 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Is that your capture dude? Awesome.! If so, whats the numbers? What equip? Damn thats good!

Thanks.  I have a real thing about posting original content. I am not a fan of links, shares or forwards, either.

I had to rummage through my files to find that I took that shot with my old NEX-6 mid-November 2014.  These days I use my iPhone exclusively because it is so convenient and takes great photos.

My big one is about 18 inches long.  Big girl.  The females are quiet.  The males make all of the noise.  The dog has a scorpion bark, poisonous snake bark, green flying snake bark, tookay bark.  All different.  The dog ignores big toads/bullfrogs.  So I don't know why she is freaked by tookays.  There was a Thai horror movie about them which apparently scared all of the kids.  They do poop a lot and it needs to be cleaned.  I had one trained to poop on a paper but my wife kept throwing away the paper and not replacing it.

took.jpg

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

unfortunately they are also Thai boogeyman, parents like to scare their child into doing something will say that the tookae will get them unless they wash the dishes etc.

if i ever again bother with a thai woman,

i'll keep this advise

44 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My big one is about 18 inches long.  Big girl.  The females are quiet.  The males make all of the noise.  The dog has a scorpion bark, poisonous snake bark, green flying snake bark, tookay bark.  All different.  The dog ignores big toads/bullfrogs.  So I don't know why she is freaked by tookays.  There was a Thai horror movie about them which apparently scared all of the kids.  They do poop a lot and it needs to be cleaned.  I had one trained to poop on a paper but my wife kept throwing away the paper and not replacing it.

took.jpg

Wellllll, that picture would convince ME to get a few!

Thanks for the video, too.  Strangely enough I never saw any (just had the little tan house geckos), but I recognize the sound, even though before now I didn't know what it was!  I wish I'd known when I still lived there; I would've gone trying to see one when I could hear them.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

Thanks.  I have a real thing about posting original content. I am not a fan of links, shares or forwards, either.

I had to rummage through my files to find that I took that shot with my old NEX-6 mid-November 2014.  These days I use my iPhone exclusively because it is so convenient and takes great photos.

Dude that's world class. I am not worthy of even using your bandwidth

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

took.jpg

that centipede would scare the pants offa me more than the tokay...

Tokay: an inexpensive fortified wine favored by skid road bums in metro areas of cities on the west coast of the USA...

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

If the lizard is on your neighbor's premises, it's not your lizard.  Some Thais view them as pests.....just as you probably view termites as pests and kill them when they're on your property.

Not just pests they are afraid of them.  Not dangerous although they are called the pit pulls of gekos.  Stupid people who kill things that help us because of some silly superstition as in China they are used as a sex drug also silly.  They move slow and are easy to catch because they are not afraid of anything.  Poor little things.  I feel sorry for them.  My dogs wants to kill them.  My wife and neighbor too.  I'm their only friend. 

On 3/13/2019 at 8:39 PM, marcusarelus said:

Not just pests they are afraid of them.  Not dangerous although they are called the pit pulls of gekos.  Stupid people who kill things that help us because of some silly superstition as in China they are used as a sex drug also silly.  They move slow and are easy to catch because they are not afraid of anything.  Poor little things.  I feel sorry for them.  My dogs wants to kill them.  My wife and neighbor too.  I'm their only friend. 

I like Tookays too, which is just as well as there are many around the house.  One comes into the house for a few days every now and again, and I'm always happy to see him.

I've even thought about leaving out some dog/cat food at night for him to eat ????!

Who cares about the spelling? If it's a Thai word there's probably a million different farang spellings.

Got some at my place - dogs don't care about them, but give them buffalo, cows or samlors and the dogs go crazy. I've taught them not to bark at lovely ladies on motorbikes though!

23 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I like Tookays too, which is just as well as there are many around the house.  One comes into the house for a few days every now and again, and I'm always happy to see him.

I've even thought about leaving out some dog/cat food at night for him to eat ????!

I take it that you're not the one who does the house cleaning.

Archived