Teachers face loss

My 11 year old son had a school test yesterday. The woman teacher wrote simple English sentences on the board numbered one to ten and the pupils had to write the translation down in Thai in their notebook. My son speaks fluent English and can read very well. The teacher had written the word 'monkey' as 'munkey' so my son asked her in front of the class if that was a word he didn't know or had she spelt it incorrectly. Deathly shocked silence in the classroom, my son said you could hear a pin drop. She stood transfixed with the chalk in her hand for two minutes and said nothing, then she opened a dictionary, corrected the word and sat down saying nothing. One lad then said half loud in Thai, "awkward silence" which broke the ice and everybody laughed including the teacher. He was the hero of the class, it was that big a deal.

When he told his mother what had happened when she picked him up from school she hurried to the teacher to 'smooth things out' which as it turned out wasn't necessary, the teacher laughed it off saying "I knew I had a luk krung in my class and knew that he spoke fluent English but I didn't know that he had a falang character." It shows just how ingrained the hierarchical structure is here, something which didn't even deserve mentioning in the West caused shock and horror and needed diplomacy to quieten the waves, perhaps he should have just said nothing, the teacher can do no wrong.

I am pleased the teacher did not takeout her anger on your son...then march him to the principal's office for more direct corporal punishment...

You may have a different experience with another teacher...

Sometimes it is best to wait until the class is dismissed to challenge a teacher's correctness.

This word of caution extends through university and workforce...

Causing people in authority to lose face in front of others...in general...is not a great idea in this country...

30 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your son corrected a teacher, WOW, brave lad, teachers here know everything and are never wrong.

My stepson has been criticised by his teachers for 'being too abrupt' when talking to them.

That's my fault, as I've brought him up to tell the truth and be straight when asking or answering questions.

The teachers don't like that.

I had a friend who years ago had a Thai g/f who spoke passable Engrish. I always remember something she refused to back down about: the letter 'W'.

She insisted on pronouncing the letter itself as 'dub-you', not 'double-you'.

Why? Because as a kid, herEnglish language teacher who was a Thai, told the class that was how it should sound.

My friend's g/f refused point blank to accept her teacher could be wrong. This is despite living in the UK for over ten years.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

My stepson has been criticised by his teachers for 'being too abrupt' when talking to them.

That's my fault, as I've brought him up to tell the truth and be straight when asking or answering questions.

I had a friend who years ago had a Thai g/f who spoke passable Engrish. I always remember something she refused to back down about: the letter 'W'.

Why? Because as a kid, herEnglish language teacher who was a Thai, told the class that was how it should sound.

My friend's g/f refused point blank to accept her teacher could be wrong. This is despite living in the UK for over ten years.

Maybe she heard Bush talking, ole dubja

18 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

I am pleased the teacher did not takeout her anger on your son...then march him to the principal's office for more direct corporal punishment...

Sometimes it is best to wait until the class is dismissed to challenge a teacher's correctness.

Causing people in authority to lose face in front of others...in general...is not a great idea in this country...

Yes, I am aware of the dangers but I think things are slowly changing, change has to come from the young, the students, it wont come from the encrusted hierarchy. The school my son goes to has relatively young teachers, between 25 and 35 yrs. The hi-so's have relied on this mindless obedience for power, it's the only way they can get away with corruption. One can say what one will about modern media iphones facebook and the like but they also chip away at the suffocating crust especially in the minds of the young, unfortunately this has gone too far in the West imo where little to no respect is shown to old mature institutions although perhaps these very institutions are themselves at fault, complacent arrogance instead of service.

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:
14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Maybe she heard Bush talking, ole dubja

Or Richard Nixon - I saw a documentary about the secret war in Laos, which he always pronounced as 'Lay-oss'.

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I remember having a similar experience with a teacher,although it was about decorum. When I took my son to school he got off the motorbike giving me a perfunctory wai, closed palms thrown across his shoulders, an insult really, this in front of the head teacher who gave me a telling off for letting my son get away with it.

"It's the way we do things, we are casual, I don't need him to give me a wai to know he respects me"

"That may be so but you are in Thailand and your son will have to abide by Thai etiquette all his life, you are doing him no favours, you are his father and he should show you respect in public"

Point taken, he was right of course, why make a big thing out of it so I promised him better behaviour in future.

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I remember having a similar experience with a teacher,although it was about decorum. When I took my son to school he got off the motorbike giving me a perfunctory wai, closed palms thrown across his shoulders, an insult really, this in front of the head teacher who gave me a telling off for letting my son get away with it.

"It's the way we do things, we are casual, I don't need him to give me a wai to know he respects me"

"That may be so but you are in Thailand and your son will have to abide by Thai etiquette all his life, you are doing him no favours, you are his father and he should show you respect in public"

Point taken, he was right of course, why make a big thing out of it so I promised him better behaviour in future.

The head teacher was right, your son will have to understand the Thai etiquette. But an English speaking and writing half Farang/half Thai kid must be a nightmare for a Thai English teacher ... who might understand English well, but make expected errors also. Your little one needs to be a bit clever with his advantage, and be as diplomatic as possible. But strong English skills should help him a great deal in the future.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Sometimes you have to give a little bit, in this case the teacher was right. Sometimes its better to fit in. However where do you draw the line. Your son was right for correcting the teacher. I done that too in the past with English teachers in the Netherlands when I was young. 

Nobody (including me) likes to be corrected or shown his faults. I have had other accountants go over my stuff and point out faults  (it happens) its never fun. So i can understand a teacher not liking it either. It takes some getting used to but it will never be fun.

There doesnt seem to be a problem .

The Teacher didnt seem to mind , just seemed a bit surprised .

I do think that the O.P is overly concerned about "losing face" (as many felangs are)

Maybe the teacher was a bit surprised and got caught off-guard , nothing more than that

This is a good example of how some felangs are over concerned about Thais "losing face".

Worried that a slight disagreement will end up with someone going on a violent rampage

Thais are generally not like that and the whole issue of "losing face" in generally a felang myth

I have had to correct the spelling in not only the text books used by my children but also the spelling and often the grammar in the test/revision papers they bring home. I always encourage them to show the respective Teacher.

I am by no means pedantic but allowing them to continue to learn from a text book or test paper that is incorrect seems just wrong.

"Thais are generally not like that and the whole issue of "losing face" in generally a felang"

I willl remember your words of wisdom the next time I read a news report of a Thai stabbing, punching, or shooting someone over his perceived loss of face. 

I read this whole thread in a completely  different way. Why did your wife go running back to bring the whole ( small issue which you admit in your post) up again with the teacher?  Seems like the teacher had to loose face twice that day , seems like the kid is a tattletale and the letter u and  o are similar so who really cares? It also was even to the kids account  something the whole class laughed off and even the teacher laughed it off ( good for the teacher ).  

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's pronounced neither like 'dub-you' nor 'double-you'; according to my learned friend on soi 4 Sukhumvit, it is pronounced 'dubb'n-yew'

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

This is despite living in the UK for over ten years.

My native tongue is English and I must admit if you stray much past Watford it's like they speak another language.....Have the same problem with the North Americans. Constantly having to clarify pronunciation and spelling our daughter is taught at school, as it's very North American biased whether they are from Thailand or the Phillipines. Still credit to the teachers at least they speak "English".

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Or Richard Nixon - I saw a documentary about the secret war in Laos, which he always pronounced as 'Lay-oss'.

I can understand saying Lay-os as that it is how it is spelt.

I've never understood the spelling of transliterated language to English.

Why not just spell Suvarnabhumi as Suwannapoom?

It wouldn't make any difference to the Thai people and make it a lot easier for tourists trying to get a taxi to the airport. 

Or as some wag posted previously Soyawannaboomboom.

...from experience....

...no immediate reaction...does not mean.....'everything is okay'......

...to quote someone I thought I knew...."If someone gets me angry, I will not stop until I get them back"...

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It isn't just Thailand but SE Asia in general. They all have this problem about losing face.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

There doesnt seem to be a problem .

The Teacher didnt seem to mind , just seemed a bit surprised .

I do think that the O.P is overly concerned about "losing face" (as many felangs are)

Maybe the teacher was a bit surprised and got caught off-guard , nothing more than that

This is a good example of how some felangs are over concerned about Thais "losing face".

Worried that a slight disagreement will end up with someone going on a violent rampage

Thais are generally not like that and the whole issue of "losing face" in generally a felang myth

pull the other one, I have seen loss of face a lot and it isnt pleasant, strange that my wife has always told me not to cause a thai loss of face as they can often get violent, its not a farang myth when even thais warn you not to cause it

Archived