Police ignoring motorbikes illegally using Pattaya tunnel

webfact

By Jetsada Homklin

02-n-F-26-05-Bikes-violate-tunnel-laws-c

Signs (inset) clearly point out what vehicles aren’t allowed through the underpass, but random checks show motorcycle daredevils are speeding through.

When Pattaya’s Central Road bypass tunnel opened, police vigorously enforced rules barring motorcycles and large trucks from using the underpass. But that didn’t last long.

Tourists and residents both have complained that large numbers of motorcyclists are speeding through the tunnel with little fear of being hit with the 1,000-baht fine. Police are nowhere to be seen.

In August 2017, when the tunnel opened, 18 motorists were stopped and fined in its first three days of operation. Police said numerous signs clearly pointed out what vehicles aren’t allowed through the underpass.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/police-ignore-motorbikes-and-trucks-illegally-using-pattaya-underpass

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-13

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Maybe the Police realise that there is no logical reason to ban motorbikes from the tunnel and that the law, in this case, is an ass.

I think you credit the Thai police with way more intelligence than they are due. 

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why, how are they hurting them? 

They are speeding.. so they are going fast enough not to stop traffic. I don't see why motor bikes can't use flyovers and tunnels. I can understand them not wanting slow moving food carts (motorbikes) there. However normal motorbikes don't hold up traffic. There is no logic to this. 

Its just Thais being elitist and car drivers wanting more room. 

There should be more people on motorbikes less in cars. Pollution wise its better and traffic wise its better too.  

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

They are speeding.. so they are going fast enough not to stop traffic. I don't see why motor bikes can't use flyovers and tunnels. I can understand them not wanting slow moving food carts (motorbikes) there. However normal motorbikes don't hold up traffic. There is no logic to this. 

Agree, the law banning motorcycles from free-ways etc was put in place many years ago when the average motorcycle was unable to keep up with traffic flow & big bikes were illegal and not allowed to be registered, but like most things in Thailand, change doesn't come easily.

7 minutes ago, CGW said:

Agree, the law banning motorcycles from free-ways etc was put in place many years ago when the average motorcycle was unable to keep up with traffic flow & big bikes were illegal and not allowed to be registered, but like most things in Thailand, change doesn't come easily.

Change does not come easy because people riding motorcycles are considered a lower class. So its more important to keep the roads open (even if its only in their minds) for those who can afford cars.

IMHO i never see the Thai goverment make changes like this that actually benefit the country. I see them mostly launching projects so they can take a cut. Making new laws and amending stupid old laws does not really seem to be done much as there is no money in it. 

59 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Maybe the Police realise that there is no logical reason to ban motorbikes from the tunnel and that the law, in this case, is an ass.

100% agree

It is time Thailand modernised its attitude to roads - default should be all roads open to all vehicles with restrictions on motorways for scooters or motorbikes below 600cc

a far simpler way of doing things

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police ignoring drivers who don't stop at the red light, Police ignoring motorbikes on the sidewalk , Police ignoring drivers at high speed in town....and so on...

2 hours ago, smedly said:

100% agree

It is time Thailand modernised its attitude to roads - default should be all roads open to all vehicles with restrictions on motorways for scooters or motorbikes below 600cc

...how about 250ccm?

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

...how about 250ccm?

although some people refer to that as a big bike - it isn't

you have to be careful when categorising by CC or engine size, it is not top speed that is the limiting factor - a scooter can do 110kph - my bike does that in 1st gear in under 3 secs with 5 more gears to go

You must consider - stability braking acceleration etc all with 2up

I remember riding a friends Honda Steed (400cc) and to be honest a 125cc scooter would give it a run - horrible slow and heavy and definitely not fit for motorway travel  

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

biker clubs restrict membership below 600 cc cause they think they wont be able to keep up.

i'll take their word for it

Thats funny as all the bikers i see,  have mostly  old men on them doing max speed of  140km,  don't need a big bike to do that, but then again i was never into posing. with leather gear and denim tank tops. :giggle: 

cb6e963f-72eb-4d8e-ae86-2dc5009ac512_screenshot.jpg

13 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Thats funny as all the bikers i see,  have mostly  old men on them doing max speed of  140km,  don't need a big bike to do that, but then again i was never into posing. with leather gear and denim tank tops. :giggle: 

its not the top speed, its the safe overtaking

and leaving the red light behind, that requires cubic

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I don't decide which laws are logical or not; which I obey or not. However, it is easy to identify illogical people, as well as their posts.

Maybe police would be more active if there was a mandatory minimum number of leys say 15 fines a week for each cop to write out..

in mine country mobile phone in hand while driving 10,000 bht.

speed 5 km above limit  2,500 bht no seatbelt 4,000 bht drunk driving 10,000 till 50,000.. going red light 7,000 bht.. serious money for a country

53 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe police would be more active if there was a mandatory minimum number of leys say 15 fines a week for each cop to write out..

in mine country mobile phone in hand while driving 10,000 bht.

speed 5 km above limit  2,500 bht no seatbelt 4,000 bht drunk driving 10,000 till 50,000.. going red light 7,000 bht.. serious money for a country

Stay in yourne country if that is what you like. 

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

I don't decide which laws are logical or not; which I obey or not. However, it is easy to identify illogical people, as well as their posts.

Neither do I but my comment was about the Thai Police having always implemented laws as they see fit.

Not wearing a helmet outside of town, underage school kids without a motorcycle license getting to school, passengers in a pickup bed are examples that seem to get ignored by police and now this.

Maybe you should take it up with Big Joke and ask him why the BIB are ignoring the law.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't see why motor bikes can't use flyovers and tunnels.

There should be more people on motorbikes less in cars. Pollution wise its better and traffic wise its better too.  

1. there is in this case no emergency lane, if a motorbike breaks down in the tunnel, it creates unsuspected problems. If a car is breaking down you will see it, because its much bigger
2. Motorbikes create much more polution with their primitive engines (lots of them are 2-stroke)  than the fine-tuned and highly optimized car-engine 

13 minutes ago, tonboy said:

1. there is in this case no emergency lane, if a motorbike breaks down in the tunnel, it creates unsuspected problems. If a car is breaking down you will see it, because its much bigger
2. Motorbikes create much more polution with their primitive engines (lots of them are 2-stroke)  than the fine-tuned and highly optimized car-engine 

the first point is a non-issue, except a bike can be much easier pulled away.

the 2nd would be true if there was any 2-strikes around

these days, but there isnt.

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

What a load of pathetic rot.

6 hours ago, tonboy said:

Funny, I know of no other country that bans motorbikes from tunnels... seems your view is not widely shared.

17 hours ago, smedly said:

100% agree

In many cases the "motorway" is the only route for any vehicle, and they always provide a wide shoulder for motorbikes ( under 600cc ) to use. Try going from lamphun to Lampang without using the "motorway".

6 hours ago, tonboy said:

How long since you were in LOS? 2 stroke m'bikes are hardly seen on Thai roads now, though my ex BIL had one he kept in his house as he had fond memories of it.

A modern m'bike or scooter 4 stroke engine is no more polluting than any other road vehicle on Thai roads.

PS. I do remember the good old days when dozens of 2 stroke m'bikes gathered at the red lights on Bangkok streets, and the cloud of exhaust fumes was something to behold when the lights turned green.

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i need acceleration even uphill for safe overtaking, doubly so if i travel with a group.

do you have a driving license ?

Yes i do. been riding bikes for 49 years.

started at 9 years old, racing them at 13. so i have very little experience !!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

I can over take cars and bikes on my supper powerful  125 Honda wave with the shopping basket on the front, with ease,   I also go past the big bike boys in the traffic jams, :giggle:

Maybe you need to improve your riding ability or get a smaller bike. 

Ps do you make vroom vroom noises at the traffic lights, before waking the throttle open to sprint to the next set of lights or traffic jam 300 yards up the road ? :giggle: :sorry:

Big bikes in Thailand are just for posing on. 

Archived