Pattaya: Tourist on motorbike loses a leg after collision with pick-up

webfact

Pattaya: Tourist on motorbike loses a leg after collision with pick-up

166901.jpg
Picture: Naewna

The Thai driver of a Vigo pick up told police that a tourist on a motorcycle suddenly cut in front of him to make a turning into a soi resulting in a collision. 

Sawang Boriboon foundation medics at the scene treated 58 year old Vsevolod Yun from Kazakhstan before rushing him to hospital. 

His right leg had become detached.

There was minimal damage to his PCX motorcycle. 

The accident happened on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya heading towards Chonburi at the Soi Khao Talo intersection.

Vigo driver Mongkhon Chupetch, 55, said that he was unable to brake in time when the motorcyclist suddenly turned in front of him to go down a soi at the intersection. 

Police are studying CCTV to verify this version of events. 

Both vehicles had Chonburi plates. 

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-13

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Vigo driver Mongkhon Chupetch, 55, said that he was unable to brake in time when the motorcyclist suddenly turned in front of him to go down a soi at the intersection. 

Which probably means that he was traveling way too quickly and not keeping a safe distance between himself and other traffic. His excuse is almost a confession of guilt.

At that junction traffic coming from Thepprasit has to cross four lanes to get to the Khaotalo turn, yet cars come flying through there at ridiculous speeds all the time, this guy probably being one of them. I hope Mr. Yun is insured and makes a full a recovery as possible.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

yet cars come flying through there at ridiculous speeds all the time, this guy probably being one of them

Particularly if the lights just went red, that is what they are focused on!

I am trying to make sense of this accident and can't.

Claimed - turning down a soi which would be a left turn or indeed a right turn depending on from where

Truck hits motorbike I assume on the left side in all senarios 

Right leg severed ?

Maybe the rider was on the motorbike backwards 

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Which probably means that he was traveling way too quickly and not keeping a safe distance between himself and other traffic. His excuse is almost a confession of guilt.

At that junction traffic coming from Thepprasit has to cross four lanes to get to the Khaotalo turn, yet cars come flying through there at ridiculous speeds all the time, this guy probably being one of them. I hope Mr. Yun is insured and makes a full a recovery as possible.

How the hell can he make a FULL recovery ????  His bloody leg was ripped off.  You can wish as much as you want but he will only have one leg from now on.

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Is it actually possible to enjoy a leisurely ride here anymore without being on full alert like a war zone?

Every time I am turning right, I neally brick it because of either being rear ended at speed, or a dick head overtaking me as I turn ( yes it has happened -more than once )

I liken driving in Thailand to a real life Playstation Game, complete with all the hazards you would find in such a game - Soi Dogs , Vending Carts , Wrong way Motorcycles ( and cars and Trucks ) Etc Etc Etc 

I can't figure out by the description what really happened here, but if I make a left turn onto a dual carriageway and have to make a right turn shortly afterwards, I'll instead carry on to the next u-turn and come back at it. No sense in trying to quickly cross three or four lanes of traffic in this place.

5 hours ago, Kim J said:

You are exactly right. I pass that junction all the time, and every time you do without fail you can see someone driving irresponsibly and recklessly.

Such things as:

Driving through a red light.

Speeding.

Illegal U turns.    etc etc etc

You mean driving normally ?

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Every time I am turning right, I neally brick it because of either being rear ended at speed, or a dick head overtaking me as I turn ( yes it has happened -more than once )

I liken driving in Thailand to a real life Playstation Game, complete with all the hazards you would find in such a game - Soi Dogs , Vending Carts , Wrong way Motorcycles ( and cars and Trucks ) Etc Etc Etc 

yeah it's as annoying as it is uncomfortable... i constantly watch my mirrors and for some reasons many speeding thai drivers like to pass on the inside where you are actually turning... beyond comprehension that is why one must understand the only rule to remember is there are no rules...

Kazakh drivers are about as skilled as Thais and obtain their licences the same way, I base this on nearly 3 years living there. They stop at lights and pedestrian crossings much more because Kazakh police troll for tea money constantly, other than that Kazakhs are pretty average road users. Its rare to see then on motorbikes in summer and impossible for them to ride them in winter (7 months or so) due to continuous snow and ice. The tourist could have been at fault and they also drive on the opposite side to Thais, so there could have been error there too.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

full recovery a bit unlikely if you lose your leg mate....

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If I recall correctly, the lights are a bit goofy. I think there is a left filter giving a green coming out of Threpasit onto Sukhumvit, while the Northbound Sukhumvit traffic also has a green. 

Archived