Video: "World's first maximum break by a woman" and she's Thai aged just 19!

webfact

Video: "World's first maximum break by a woman" and she's Thai aged just 19!

screenshot_8825.jpg

Picture: Twitter @WomensSnooker

A video has been posted to YouTube that shows 19 year old Thai snooker sensation Nutcharut "Mink" Wongharuthai complete a maximum 147 break. 

It was Mink's first ever maximum as she calmly stroked in 15 reds with blacks and all the colors. She was practicing with a man at the Hi-End Snooker Club in northern Bangkok on Monday.

The Eurosport website reporting on her achievement quoted "World Women's Snooker" as saying that they believed it was a first for a female player, though such records were difficult to verify.

Mink is ranked 8th in the world and appeared in two ranking finals in her breakthrough season in 2018. 

In September she appeared as a wildcard beside the men at the World Six Ball Snooker Championships at the convention hall at Central Lat Prao, Bangkok. She lost in the first round on that occasion.

Mink's achievement will be a welcome boost for both women's snooker and the Hi-End Club. It was announced on Friday that the Women's World Snooker Championship will be held there from June 20th to 23rd this year. 

Getting 147 is the "Holy Grail" of snooker. While many of the male professionals have recorded maximums in televised events and other male players have recorded hundreds in practice it seems to be new ground for women in the sport. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-13

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Not in a competitive game, doesn't count. Nice try but no cigar.

You are right, and I would guess there is made some maximum's in practice throughout the years by female players. 

Anyway, its just to keep up the good work, and for what it's worth; Congrats ???? 

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why knock the girl?

She did good, and you are mocking her shame on you.

Not mocking, just stating a fact. Will it go down in the WPBSA records as a maximum break?

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not mocking, just stating a fact. Will it go down in the WPBSA records as a maximum break?

But is on camera for everyone to see. People remember what they see. They don't read record books !  Best of luck with her future career.

I think she was very good.

Wasn't Steve Davis the first 147 break on television? That must have been a few decades ago too.

I suppose jokes about losing balls, or not knowing whether to go for the pink or the brown wouldn't be relevant then.

36 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Their eyes are weaker than men's.

They also have boobies. 

I can understand the boobies as handicap if they are d-cup or bigger. A balancing act. But real men have balls the size of bowling balls so it should still be even. Maybe it's a center of gravity thing.

55 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't Steve Davis the first 147 break on television? That must have been a few decades ago too.

I suppose jokes about losing balls, or not knowing whether to go for the pink or the brown wouldn't be relevant then.

Only if you go in off .. 

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't Steve Davis the first 147 break on television?

True and that was in 1982, but Joe Davis made the first officially recognized maximum break in a 1955 exhibition match in London, but not on live television although it was recorded and played back on the sports news on television.  However, neither of them achieved the 155 break which only a very few have ever been recorded doing.

'nuf sed

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Oldham Lancashire 1982....:thumbsup:

But is on camera for everyone to see. People remember what they see. They don't read record books !  Best of luck with her future career.
I remember watching Steve Davis first televised "maximum brake" back in the "good old 1980's"

On 3/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spidey said:

It counts.

Much like you getting your ass wiped on the bucket pocket pool tables at your local bar every night by splay footed farm girls for free drinks.

That counts too.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spidey said:

Yes not an official record but still well played wouldn't you say? How many 147s you broken out? Or maybe you could regale us with tales of your sporting achievements? 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, transam said:

And your highest break is......?

No, not your cigar fumbling breakages...????

28 minutes ago, starky said:

Yes not an official record but still well played wouldn't you say? How many 147s you broken out? Or maybe you could regale us with tales of your sporting achievements? 

I did say "nice try". My criticism is of the story, which made it sound as if she had broken some record, not the girl. Headline was "World Record" which it isn't. How many youngsters achieve a 147, whilst practicing in snooker halls but don't get their story published on Thai Visa?

Archived