Home Gym

robblok

There was an old topic about home gyms but i could not find it. I think for most people going to a gym is a far better option. If you stay here many many years then maybe a home gym is a good idea. I only bought one because at the time there was no gym near enough with fee weights.

Over the years I have upgraded my home gym.

I think for people who want to gain muscle the most important thing is a power rack with a adjustable bench and a barbell with weights. If you then also buy an adjustable dumbbell  set and you can do most things.

I got a power rack and a few different kinds of bars, 3 sets or iron master quick lock dumbbells and 1 set of iron master kettlebell. 

1 captains chair for abs and dips, a lat pully, and an ab board and some other small things, a concept 2 rower, and a eleptical. I have to say the cardio equipment gets used a lot less then the weights.

I also got rubber matting on the floor to make sure the neighbors dont have a problem (plus my weight are bumper plates so make less sound too). 

At times i miss going to a regular gym but I also like that I can control the music an aircon myself and i don't have to travel.

Just posted this here to liven up the Body and Fitness forum part as its almost dead. 

The ironmaster dumbbells are the best ever, real fast change of weights real durable. Just perfect. Too bad they are expensive and you have to import them. 

https://www.ironmaster.com/products/quick-lock-adjustable-dumbbells-75/

2019-03-13 14.00.07-1 (Small).jpg

2019-03-13 14.00.20 (Small).jpg

2019-03-13 14.00.26 (Small).jpg

2019-03-13 14.02.05 (Small).jpg

2019-03-13 14.11.00 (Small).jpg

2019-03-13 14.11.15 (Small).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You snapped yourself via a mirror, did you want that? Most condos have a gym some not so good but ours is huge with top quality equipment . Took them a while to realize cheap gym gear costs more in repairs and replacements .

most people would struggle with a home Gym, as mentioned ..motivation

12 hours ago, madmen said:

You snapped yourself via a mirror, did you want that? Most condos have a gym some not so good but ours is huge with top quality equipment . Took them a while to realize cheap gym gear costs more in repairs and replacements .

I did not wan't myself on the picture but I knew I was on it. But its not really a good image of me. I look quite thin there as i am turned away. I also wearing that stupid headband (i hate sweat in my eyes or on my glasses).

I like my gym, because I have worked out for a long time I know exactly what to do with free weights. Though there are some machines that i do miss at times. But most things can be done with what i have. 

12 hours ago, JordanJones said:

Looks impressive. Motivation can be harder with a home gym.

Both of you mention motivation and yes with a home gym many people struggle for me it actually means i train more. I don't have to travel. But I am not like most people and when I train i don't talk just breathe heavy and try to get energy back during breaks between sets. I do miss the social aspect a bit, but now there is a gym at 5 km from my home and i worked out there too. I liked the social par then but my sessions became too long because of waiting and talking plus the travel.

But for sure most people should not work out in a home gym, if there was a good gym when I arrived I would not have bought all the stuff. 

Now I also think there is not much more for me to buy. Good thing the room is not bigger or I would buy more. 

Having this gym has kept me training all those years as its there and ready to use. I don't have a problem working out with weights.. its the cardio part that bores me.

I have always preferred a gym with good equipment and I have always preferred machines over free weights.  Space and aesthetics play a part for me as well.  I would hate being confined in a small space.  About seven or eight months ago I found a large gym in Chiang Rai with enough space and equipment for my taste and started lifting weights again after many years.

It is a big barn of a space with no air-conditioning, crude bathrooms and showers but it is very cheap (50 baht for a day pass).  It is over 55 km from home but it is centrally located in town so I try to drop in every time I go to town.  That usually means a couple workouts per week.

In the last eight months I have lost 10 kilos through fasting and my body composition has changed noticeably.  I not only feel better but look much better and get comments from friends who have not seen me for awhile.  Hiking and cycling are enjoyable but weightlifting does more for my mood and general sense of wellbeing and fitness.

35853195_gym-1.jpg.bca57f04d9d4452e70382063cedaea4d.jpg

680655192_gym-3.jpg.9e11ecefbde76c426b28d15d678ce391.jpg

1230045151_gym-2.jpg.51f3b8d3d8fd6a5c798a457e8d527fc0.jpg

54 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I have always preferred a gym with good equipment and I have always preferred machines over free weights.  Space and aesthetics play a part for me as well.  I would hate being confined in a small space.  About seven or eight months ago I found a large gym in Chiang Rai with enough space and equipment for my taste and started lifting weights again after many years.

It is a big barn of a space with no air-conditioning, crude bathrooms and showers but it is very cheap (50 baht for a day pass).  It is over 55 km from home but it is centrally located in town so I try to drop in every time I go to town.  That usually means a couple workouts per week.

In the last eight months I have lost 10 kilos through fasting and my body composition has changed noticeably.  I not only feel better but look much better and get comments from friends who have not seen me for awhile.  Hiking and cycling are enjoyable but weightlifting does more for my mood and general sense of wellbeing and fitness.

Nice gym, not sure how I would perform without aircon. I have always preffered free weights over machines as in general its more effective. Having said that there are certainly good machines too. That is why i have a lat pully, I think a lat pully is one of the machines you need (i can use it for triceps too of course)

55 km is quite a ride for me, but if there is not much traffic its ok I guess.

Nice that you lost 10 kg and got a better body composition. I hate cardio but do try to do a bit. Weight lifting is easy for me (does not mean I am not totally dead at the end of some sessions) but weight lifting does not bore me.

Last year because of sleep problems I had 4 months of almost no training eating too much. Now after 3 months of diet and training its almost back to normal. It might take me 4 months to recover from 4 months of doing nothing much and eating crap. I certainly start to feel good again. 

Because I live a long-way from anywhere, including a gym, I built my own. 1,100 sq ft surrounded by farm land.  Fully equipped, commercial quality, CrossFit gym, with 99% of equipment from East West Fitness in Bangkok.

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 1.54.46 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 1.55.40 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 1.56.43 PM.jpeg

I spend my spare cash on books. I find my intellectual fitness is greatly enhanced by reading or rereading Popper, Greimas (my former professor in Paris) and Locke. I have no need to gross out on the latest Usofan fat novel.

For my physical fitness I have only the most basic basics in the small gym we built beside the carport as we built our house here in Prasat a couple of years ago. A running machine, a couple of weights, and a situps thingee. As long as I get there 3 times a week for 30 minutes, I feel fit & look good. I have no need to look like a gorilla. Actually I look rather more like Rees-Mogg (for those of you who follow & love the British news.) I'm aiming for 4 times a week but my long-term average is probably closer to 2.

2 hours ago, RockerC said:

Because I live a long-way from anywhere, including a gym, I built my own. 1,100 sq ft surrounded by farm land.  Fully equipped, commercial quality, CrossFit gym, with 99% of equipment from East West Fitness in Bangkok.

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

Now that is a home gym that kicks a#se, great job

20 hours ago, madmen said:

My oft quoted phrase is 'CHEAP IS EXPENSIVE".

I have a good quality running machine/treadmill, static exercise bike, sit up bench for exercises. I also have a boxing training ball which is good for speed, co-ordination, and cardio too; as well as exercising arm, back and shoulder muscles. I also have a "Bob" - the martial arts dummy that looks a bit like "Arnie" - good for conditioning and practicing weapon as well as empty hand techniques. Last but not least I have a Bokken which I use for practicing sword strokes/techniques as Mrs. BB doesn't like me do that in the garden with my live blade swords!

I need to get an heavy bag next as sorely missing that.

In martial arts, you always need people to practice some things with but there is an awful lot you can do on your own too.

I used to go to gyms, and enjoyed it as it was usually a few men and lots of ladies! 

But to be honest, I never really been a body builder and much prefer martial art training. I used to have a barbell and dumb bell sets but now just stick to the martial arts. 

I have always use weightlifting as a foundation for overall strength and balance so I could enjoy other aspects of life.  For years squash was my main sport and weightlifting helped to keep me relatively injury free and balanced.  Now in my mid sixties I like the feeling I get from the hormones and endorphins released during exercise.  Balance and coordination are greatly improved by having strong muscles.  Alertness and mental acuity come with greater fitness as well as better general physical and mental health.

I have no desire to rely on doctors or insurance companies to compensate for my own laziness or lack of responsibility for my own health.  To each there own but I prefer prevention over cure and that is on top of simply feeling better and being able to do more.  Eat right and exercise, in a gym or at home, or pay the price of a less healthy life.????‍♂️????️‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️????‍♂️

4 hours ago, RockerC said:

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

Best home gym I have seen.. wow.. really nice. 

4 hours ago, RockerC said:

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

wow looks like its going to be a serious gym, nice one, i bet everything including the build has cost you a right few bob.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I have a good quality running machine/treadmill, static exercise bike, sit up bench for exercises. I also have a boxing training ball which is good for speed, co-ordination, and cardio too; as well as exercising arm, back and shoulder muscles. I also have a "Bob" - the martial arts dummy that looks a bit like "Arnie" - good for conditioning and practicing weapon as well as empty hand techniques. Last but not least I have a Bokken which I use for practicing sword strokes/techniques as Mrs. BB doesn't like me do that in the garden with my live blade swords!

I need to get an heavy bag next as sorely missing that.

In martial arts, you always need people to practice some things with but there is an awful lot you can do on your own too.

I used to go to gyms, and enjoyed it as it was usually a few men and lots of ladies! 

But to be honest, I never really been a body builder and much prefer martial art training. I used to have a barbell and dumb bell sets but now just stick to the martial arts. 

I am happy you found what you liked, I always liked martial arts but my coordination is not good. So I never took to it. Weightlifting came natural to me and I build muscle relatively easy (now if the fat came off that easy).

As long as you do something you like all exercise is good. I wish I could like cardio more. I have been thinking of a boxing bag or something. I already do loaded caries, and i got a rowing machine and eleptical. But that is so hard on me mentally. I rather hurt / tire myself with shorts bouts of activity like lifting. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, JordanJones said:

Looks impressive. Motivation can be harder with a home gym.

I'm like that. I actually need to go to a gym with other people there to get in the swing of it. I think if I had a home gym, it would just gather dust. I go to Fitness First in Q House in Bangkok. Question to OP as you seem experienced. I've been doing a full body workout for the last few months every other day but have "plateaued" as they say and am bored with it. Do you do that kind of a routine or do you do a different muscle group on consecutive days and then rest a day? I ask because I think I need to change things up a bit. 

Can almost smell the testosterone gayness here!!

Just joking guys.

My doc told me to get some exercise so I bought one of those York multi function sets. Yeah....I know...I'm an amatuer.

All good for a year or so until I decided to play around with it and used it for straight pull ups from the ground. No idea what the correct term is - forgive me. Compressed two vertebra in my spine. Oops...doc said stop exercising!!!

I'm on cholesterol lowering medicine and have read that that can weaken the bone structure, no idea if that is conspiracy theory stuff.  But curiously, and mostly due to getting pissed, I managed to break an arm and two ribs (PAFO was the medical term the nurses used - Pissed And Fell Over) as well as the vertebra all in an 18 month period. Maybe there is something in the cholesterol medicine theory.

In the beginning full body works but eventually I found it necessary to divide my workouts for better results.  You might want to try it.

With compressed vertebra, free-weights can be a problem but there are many machines and many exercises which will not aggravate the situation.  You just need to avoid compressing the area where you are vulnerable and work on strengthening your core. 

1 minute ago, villagefarang said:

In the beginning full body works but eventually I found it necessary to divide my workouts for better results.  You might want to try it.

With compressed vertebra, free-weights can be a problem but there are many machines and many exercises which will not aggravate the situation.  You just need to avoid compressing the area where you are vulnerable and work on strengthening your core. 

And avoid getting pissed too apparently!!

Seriously you are 100% correct in your advice.

Unless you really go nuts a home gym that is fully equipped is almost impossible $$$ wise. Too many decent gyms here in BKK. I can walk to 4 good ones and 2 ok ones in 15 min or less. 

As you also mentioned you still go to a local one 5k from your house. So why bother ? 

But a HUGE no no for me are guys who blah blah blah at the gym ( I mean I REALLY HATE IT) 

Why do you talk there as you mentioned? 

Even worse are the guys sharing a machine who are blabbing !! You guys can easily spend 15+ minutes on one machine and do maybe  3 sets each!! 

I used to always wait for a machine sometimes ( usually at rush hour, but I try to avoid then most of the time) 

Now I just ask now “ how many more sets?” or can I work in? It’s funny 2 guys working out ( I mean blabbing) to each other always seem more offended than one person. But but but 2 guys ALWAYS seem to have no problem asking a single person working out the same question lol. 

My worst complaint about public gyms are guys ( sorry but almost always Thai) who actually sit on a machine and text for 10, 15 even 20 minutes!! 

The best thing I learned about Thai guys in the gym is that if you nicely say “ how many more sets “ or “ can I work In with you” is that they IMMEDIATELY  jump up and go away if they are just texting! It’s great! See yah! 

4 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I'm like that. I actually need to go to a gym with other people there to get in the swing of it. I think if I had a home gym, it would just gather dust. I go to Fitness First in Q House in Bangkok. Question to OP as you seem experienced. I've been doing a full body workout for the last few months every other day but have "plateaued" as they say and am bored with it. Do you do that kind of a routine or do you do a different muscle group on consecutive days and then rest a day? I ask because I think I need to change things up a bit. 

That’s got to be the worst fitness first. 

Small and a low ceiling too. Try ANY other one. Your membership should allow it. 

Not directed to me but a constant full body workout many times a week is horrible on your muscles. They never ever get to rest! They never get to grow as well. If you don’t need a massive leg work out I would highly suggest doing chest , triceps and legs one day. Next day do biceps , back and deltoids , next day rest. Then repeat. That way your muscle groups get a 72 hr break between workouts and you get a couple free days each week. Don’t work opposite muscles like bicep and triceps on SAME day. I guarantee you will see results compared to what you are doing now. 

SORRY Q house ok. Satorn Square the worst!!  I mix those two up! Siam sq is good too. 

***also for above workout try BOTH free weights AND machines. You can do that at Q house and it’s better for your muscles to be worked in slightly different ways. 

35 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That’s got to be the worst fitness first. 

Small and a low ceiling too. Try ANY other one. Your membership should allow it. 

Not directed to me but a constant full body workout many times a week is horrible on your muscles. They never ever get to rest! They never get to grow as well. If you don’t need a massive leg work out I would highly suggest doing chest , triceps and legs one day. Next day do biceps , back and deltoids , next day rest. Then repeat. That way your muscle groups get a 72 hr break between workouts and you get a couple free days each week. Don’t work opposite muscles like bicep and triceps on SAME day. I guarantee you will see results compared to what you are doing now. 

SORRY Q house ok. Satorn Square the worst!!  I mix those two up! Siam sq is good too. 

***also for above workout try BOTH free weights AND machines. You can do that at Q house and it’s better for your muscles to be worked in slightly different ways. 

Actually for natural lifters, the current knowledge is full body is best. For enhanced lifters the bro split is better. Has something to do with protein syntheses. Just look it up. 

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually for natural lifters, the current knowledge is full body is best. For enhanced lifters the bro split is better. Has something to do with protein syntheses. Just look it up. 

I can check later but full body 2 or 3 days in a row?  Seems wrong. Muscles have to rest to grow. I’m sure you know that. Also for me and others ALL muscle groups on the same day is quite a long work out. The poster also mentioned doing many full body work outs in the same week and being at a plateau so I think the split is something that could benefit him. Any very big guys always have a leg day ( as you know ) and often split up the rest so why not try a split if the several times a week full body isn’t doing the trick? Anyways not here to argue at all and unfortunately there is almost too much advise out there in body building Ville. 

The poster said :

“. I've been doing a full body workout for the last few months every other day but have "plateaued"

so I just suggested what I think could really benefit him. “ 

I personally believe a 48 hr rest is too short for muscles to both relax and grow. 

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Can almost smell the testosterone gayness here!!

Just joking guys.

My doc told me to get some exercise so I bought one of those York multi function sets. Yeah....I know...I'm an amatuer.

All good for a year or so until I decided to play around with it and used it for straight pull ups from the ground. No idea what the correct term is - forgive me. Compressed two vertebra in my spine. Oops...doc said stop exercising!!!

I'm on cholesterol lowering medicine and have read that that can weaken the bone structure, no idea if that is conspiracy theory stuff.  But curiously, and mostly due to getting pissed, I managed to break an arm and two ribs (PAFO was the medical term the nurses used - Pissed And Fell Over) as well as the vertebra all in an 18 month period. Maybe there is something in the cholesterol medicine theory.

slightly off subject, you need to get off that medicine properly statins right ? if you send me a PM ill give you some tips on how to lower your cholesterol the healthy way.

Interesting topic, and when i saw it coming by I already knew it must have been robblok who started it ????

Impressive gyms so far, especially RockerC. If you weren't in the middle of nowhere you could open your private gym up and earn some extra income; its like a professional grade setup you have there. 

My gym is in the "extra room" of my house, which was originally designed as a guest room or a room for the inlaws. We got a contractor to break out part of the wall to open it up and now its like "my room" with gym equipment and my computer.

20190324_083546.thumb.jpg.fe62829256940d184a71366f211797b0.jpg

Most equipment comes from EastWest in Bangkok which we got transported to Phuket for like 10K. That brings the total gym to about 100K baht. I got this all set up over 2 years ago and recently we added the crosstrainer after the Decathlon opened here in Phuket. Now my wife can use the gym also for cardio which she does regularly.

20190324_083612.jpg

20190324_083558.jpg

20190324_083624.jpg

Main reason to buy the homegym was the birth of my kids. With 2 babies and me being responsible for them (wife works) it was either no sports or sports at home. No way i could go out to run. bike or visit a gym for a couple of hours with them around. Now I train for 1-2 hours a day while they take their nappy upstairs with the baby monitor on.

My training is powerlifting based by the way: main movements are the squat, benchpress, and deadlift. Next to that i do some curls, pullups, triceps, and ab work but thats about it. My goal is to qualify for the nationals in powerlifting in 2 years time when i reach 40 years of age, something that should be no problem with my current numbers.

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I can check later but full body 2 or 3 days in a row?  Seems wrong. Muscles have to rest to grow. I’m sure you know that. Also for me and others ALL muscle groups on the same day is quite a long work out. The poster also mentioned doing many full body work outs in the same week and being at a plateau so I think the split is something that could benefit him. Any very big guys always have a leg day ( as you know ) and often split up the rest so why not try a split if the several times a week full body isn’t doing the trick? Anyways not here to argue at all and unfortunately there is almost too much advise out there in body building Ville. 

The poster said :

“. I've been doing a full body workout for the last few months every other day but have "plateaued"

so I just suggested what I think could really benefit him. “ 

I personally believe a 48 hr rest is too short for muscles to both relax and grow. 

I have been doing full body 3 times a week, as recommended by experts. Before I did the bro split that you were talking about.  I tried both but full body just seems to be more logical. But its hard to switch between the two as they are opposite. 

I too always preferred the bro split and laughed about full body. That was until i read multiple articles on it saying that natural lifters could better do full body. They explained it that enhanced lifters have constant protein syntheses because of the steroids. Natural lifters don't have that and need to get it from training. It was then proven that 3x times all part of your body does a lot more then the bro split. I will link an article.

When you do full body you have to accept that it does not do as many exercises as with a split. I do around 24 sets of 8-12 reps. It still totally destroys me and I really have to put in medium days. If i stay too close to failure then i need an half our recovery after exercise. But I do a special version of full body that i read about. It goes something like this Squat then no break and shoulder dB press then a break and go again. Break long enough for breathing and heart to get back to normal. This puts more of a strain on the body as the blood that went to your legs needs to go back to your shoulders. So the heart is pumping hard. I do that for 4 sets then I do bench press / lat pully and then dips / biceps curl 4 sets and then some abs. If i get too close to failure I am totally dead because there are so many big compounds and this kind of training is hard. So I incorporated days that are bit lighter. Up I went again.

I have trained for years with splits and now I am doing this for the second time. It seems to work as long as I increase weights and make sure I have days i go a bit less heavy. I am one of those fools that used to think that only a 100%  was good. But sometimes you need to give 90% after a session like that I recover faster.

Anyway I might go back to split later on, but I made great progress on full body.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

https://www.t-nation.com/training/full-body-vs-split-training

6 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Interesting topic, and when i saw it coming by I already knew it must have been robblok who started it ????

Impressive gyms so far, especially RockerC. If you weren't in the middle of nowhere you could open your private gym up and earn some extra income; its like a professional grade setup you have there. 

My gym is in the "extra room" of my house, which was originally designed as a guest room or a room for the inlaws. We got a contractor to break out part of the wall to open it up and now its like "my room" with gym equipment and my computer.

Nice gym, i like your power rack a lot. It looks nicer then mine. Still mine is great after 10 years.

Yes it was me who made the topic, i like working out far more then political discussions ???? but its often totally dead in this of the forum.

But I have noticed the more i read and chat about exercise the more motivated I am.  I am planning on having a great year without any breaks or other stuff. Not like last year so I want to keep myself motivated. 

Maybe I should not have called it home gym but gym. 

13 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Hi, i missed that question. I have done both a split and full body. Both are good. If you "plateaued" you could try something else like a split. You could also try to put in lighter days for full body so you recover better. I don't know how hard you train, but some of us always try to give 100%, its real admirable. I worked out like that too but found out you need to slow down too at times otherwise recovery and progress is a problem. I solved it by having days that I go real heavy and expect to be dead at the end of the workout and days I go lighter and still have  heavy workout but just feel good when done.

You could just try a split to see how it feels, I would not write off the full body you can always do that again. Problem is the body needs new stimuli as it adapts all the time. That either means more volume, more weight or both or different exercises. So from time to time its good to change your program up. I have nothing against spil as I did it most of my life and full body is more a recent thing. 

In the end its not only about how effective a program is but also how much you like it. If your bored with a program you could stop, better to change it even if its less then optimal (not saying that split is less then optimal) and keep on going then stopping totally.

I would love to give you some advice but I have no idea how long you have trained ? There are countless programs out there. I read a lot on the bodybuilder sites (and dismiss a lot as crap to sell magazines) Also on bodybuilding forums like uk-muscle and bodybuilding.com there is a lot of information available. 

Tell me how much you train and how old you are and we can look for a good program. There are many people here on this thread already that know their stuff. 

I certainly don't pretend to know it all, and we might have opposing views on what works but that is normal and I think everyone will be quite helpful. Give a bit more info and we will try.

There was a new gym by our house privately owned top of line equipment any thing you needed. They sold monthly, quarterly.

6 month and year packages.

Was going great for 6-8 then because of the packages they had poor money management young couple. They went belly up and I asked if they would sell some of the equipment that had barely 

been used at a great price.

i barely used it lack of motivation so sold them. I worked out 

the most in my mid twenties, My boss lived in next condo building 

over.i had the basic set up:and we worked out every day during

the work week like at 06:00 A.M. 

Worked at a fuel hose manufacture running the braider. A fairly heavy spool of braid wire in each hand was a good work out, 

yiu kept busy most the time loading and unloading the bobbins

Archived