Home Gym

robblok

I have space. You need at least 3 m wide and 8m long. The leg shakes are difficult. I also tried 2 legged jumps and squating facing sideways and those variations were good.

Overall the rope is way better than I thought it would be. Not nearly as boring as it looks and changing variations to can get a whole body workout. Portability is a plus too. I had a pull up station but it was too bulky. The rope can be put away.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Designing and starting a home gym can be challenging for sure. I have been trying to buy one thing at a time until I can find a good place for it, as well as have enough income to purchase some of the major fitness equipment. Through some research that I have done, I've found out that it doesn't cost much if all you need are the basic pieces of equipment. 

These would include things such as bumper plates, a platform to do lifts on, dumbbells, a bench, barbell, and a squat cage or rack.  Here are just some of many products available that can be used when designing a home gym : https://designingahomegym.com/   Hope this helps anyone in the process of starting a basic home gym. 

I know many times it's a challenge to workout on a regular basis, but if you have your goals in mind and know what you want to achieve, anything is possible, so train hard, or go home. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, JordanJones said:

Did 6 sessions lasting about 40 mins in total. Muscles a bit sore today. Found I could work the abs by sitting down on a bench and doing knee raises and twists. 3 workouts a week should do.

How are the workouts going ?

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

For anyone else with a home gym, there shortly be a promotion on Thaivisa from Seara Sports for discounted fitness equipment - ex display stuff, discontinued models that kind of stuff. Should be on the site by next week. Might be of interest to some you.

They got some great stuff, but I would say its mostly for large commercial gyms and not home gyms.
I've looked around Phuket before purchasing my equipment from EastWest and went to Seara sports and the Technogym dealer... both had a squad rack priced somewhere around 5-10x what I paid for my current rack. Maybe a large commercial gym can justify those costs as it is tax deductable, being used 6-12 hours a day, and gets a pounding from idiot customers... but i can't. 

Hello, any idea where to buy the best elliptical machine that is not overpriced as Lifefitness or any other famous brand ?

It is not possible that China only produces crap, and good stuff surely exist, but where ?!

thank you.

7 hours ago, myjawe said:

Hello, any idea where to buy the best elliptical machine that is not overpriced as Lifefitness or any other famous brand ?

It is not possible that China only produces crap, and good stuff surely exist, but where ?!

thank you.

If you've got a bit of money to splash around, I would go with a rowing machine rather than an elliptical. Better overall workout, but they are quite expensive. 

@CharlieH We got this one: https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8503081_-el-520.html#/5916-254-no_size
Actually ours looks a bit different as this seems to be the newer model (ours is gre and black with blue details).

We went with the 9kg flywheel, but they also have models with 6kg and 7kg flywheels for a few thousand baht less.

We took this one as it felt a bit more stable and money was not really an issue. Rather spend a few thousand baht more than regret taking the cheaper model later.

@GarryP A rowing machine is a completely different training. I can't stand it for one, and my wife likes to watch Netflix series while doing her cardio which is not possible on a rowing machine. The most important thing about exercise is being able to keep doing it, otherwise the machine turns into a clothes hanger. If you like rowing, buy a rowing machine, but if you dont enjoy it, forget about what is a "better exercise" and pick whatever you can do for years to come.

4 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

@CharlieH We got this one: https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8503081_-el-520.html#/5916-254-no_size
Actually ours looks a bit different as this seems to be the newer model (ours is gre and black with blue details).

We went with the 9kg flywheel, but they also have models with 6kg and 7kg flywheels for a few thousand baht less.

We took this one as it felt a bit more stable and money was not really an issue. Rather spend a few thousand baht more than regret taking the cheaper model later.

@GarryP A rowing machine is a completely different training. I can't stand it for one, and my wife likes to watch Netflix series while doing her cardio which is not possible on a rowing machine. The most important thing about exercise is being able to keep doing it, otherwise the machine turns into a clothes hanger. If you like rowing, buy a rowing machine, but if you dont enjoy it, forget about what is a "better exercise" and pick whatever you can do for years to come.

Enjoying something certainly helps, but is not the be all and end all of exercise. Motivation is much more important. I don't always enjoy rowing, but it does not stop me rowing. Depending on where you place the rower, you can certainly watch TV while rowing, but you will need to wear earphones as rowers can be quite noisy. 

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you've got a bit of money to splash around, I would go with a rowing machine rather than an elliptical. Better overall workout, but they are quite expensive. 

No, thank you, I only want to run without hurting joints and knees, so elliptical is the best choice.

To exercise top body I am doing free weight.

16 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

We bought our cross trainer at the decathlon, very happy with it so far: easy to use and good quality.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/12672-fitness-cardio-equipment

Sorry but very low quality machines, feels like Fisherprice.

But some half pro machines exist for almost the same money. From Korea it seems, but need to find a supplier.

At least when buying decathlon crap try to buy the most expensive.

6 hours ago, myjawe said:

Sorry but very low quality machines, feels like Fisherprice.

But some half pro machines exist for almost the same money. From Korea it seems, but need to find a supplier.

At least when buying decathlon crap try to buy the most expensive.

Apologies accepted.

And we are happy with this machine and the quality.

Maybe you need a bigger and better machine, but I don't. I can work out perfectly on this one.

9 hours ago, myjawe said:

No, thank you, I only want to run without hurting joints and knees, so elliptical is the best choice.

To exercise top body I am doing free weight.

One of many reasons I chose the rower is that it is kind to the knees. In my case it also helped sort out back problems I had. However,  it has been known to cause lower back problems for others. Anyway, different strokes for different folks. Whatever you chose, it is most certainly better than not doing anything. 

Calisthenics looks really interesting and no equipment needed. Unfortunately, a bit too old (56) to start from scratch now as it is quite intense, but some of the simpler exercises should be okay.  I'll stick with the rowing and a variety of push-ups for the time being. 

20 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

20 hours ago, GarryP said:

Enjoying something certainly helps, but is not the be all and end all of exercise. Motivation is much more important. I don't always enjoy rowing, but it does not stop me rowing. Depending on where you place the rower, you can certainly watch TV while rowing, but you will need to wear earphones as rowers can be quite noisy. 

I got a rowing machine too but I am with Bob12345 on this one. Consistency is key and its easier if you like the exercise. I still use the rowing machine but I got a hard time doing cardio. Lifting weights never a problem. For me its not really about enjoyment, just not hating it. 

Rowing is far superior but the eleptical (got one too) is not bad either it all depends on what you can do and will do.

Just my opinion of course, I am the same with diet, there is a perfect diet and one that you can keep doing.. i go for less perfect but sustainable long term over the best. Same goes for exercise / cardio.

However we are all different and some are better at motivating themselves then others. I seldom miss a weightlifting session, wish the same could be said for cardio.

Recently acquired a better quality trap bar (for dead-lift). I like it a lot and use it handles down as not to limit the range of motion. For me its perfect as dead-lifts tax my lower back more. This taxes the lower back a lot too but less. Because i workout 3 times a week really hard (full body) I have to make sure I am recovered enough when its time to lift again. This works better for me then the normal dead-lift.

2019-05-22 18.43.58 (Small).jpg

I hate doing cardio in the gym but the smoke has been bad until recently so outdoor was not an option.  Hiking and cycling were my preference for outdoor exercise but my wife has gotten into running in addition to the gym.  She has done several 10k and one half marathon.  This year she wants to complete a full marathon and has started training again.  It is still a bit warm but the air is perfect.

I want to be supportive, so here I am at 65, starting to run again.  I have done two 8k runs this week but I am really hurting today.  It is all muscular pain, not injury pain, so it is all good.  I think I need a little more recovery time at my age but I still plan on going to the gym today.  My wife just ran two days in a row, which is just not possible for me, yet.  I guess I am leaning on my wife for motivation these days but I can think of worse things.????

I hate doing cardio in the gym but the smoke has been bad until recently so outdoor was not an option.  Hiking and cycling were my preference for outdoor exercise but my wife has gotten into running in addition to the gym.  She has done several 10k and one half marathon.  This year she wants to complete a full marathon and has started training again.  It is still a bit warm but the air is perfect.

I want to be supportive, so here I am at 65, starting to run again.  I have done two 8k runs this week but I am really hurting today.  It is all muscular pain, not injury pain, so it is all good.  I think I need a little more recovery time at my age but I still plan on going to the gym today.  My wife just ran two days in a row, which is just not possible for me, yet.  I guess I am leaning on my wife for motivation these days but I can think of worse things.[emoji56]

You may want to consider easier recovery rides between your run days to facilitate active recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I got a rowing machine too but I am with Bob12345 on this one. Consistency is key and its easier if you like the exercise. I still use the rowing machine but I got a hard time doing cardio. Lifting weights never a problem. For me its not really about enjoyment, just not hating it. 

Rowing is far superior but the eleptical (got one too) is not bad either it all depends on what you can do and will do.

Just my opinion of course, I am the same with diet, there is a perfect diet and one that you can keep doing.. i go for less perfect but sustainable long term over the best. Same goes for exercise / cardio.

However we are all different and some are better at motivating themselves then others. I seldom miss a weightlifting session, wish the same could be said for cardio.

For me I am borderline OCD in some things and that includes working out. So no matter how much I may not be in the mood to get on my rower, I will still workout.  So far the only day I have taken off this month from rowing was 2 June and that was because my son had the audacity to get married on that day.  Push-ups I limit to four days a week.  

On 4/1/2019 at 6:36 AM, JordanJones said:

Ok so bought the rope. It's thick and heavy. Did 10 minutes and it was a good workout. I did some squats mimicing a long distance skier as well as side to side on each leg and jogging on the spot. Will try the leg exercises next.

For bodyweight exercise you can't beat a suspension trainer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=suspension+trainer+workout

Lazada has a variety:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=suspension+trainer&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719cwPVBjl

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

For me I am borderline OCD in some things and that includes working out. So no matter how much I may not be in the mood to get on my rower, I will still workout.  So far the only day I have taken off this month from rowing was 2 June and that was because my son had the audacity to get married on that day.  Push-ups I limit to four days a week.  

Weight lifting wise I could say I am OCD too. I have a hard time not working out. However there are exceptions yesterday was one of those exceptions. I intentionally did not train as my body was still too sore and i was lacking energy. I been pushing myself too much recently pushing through personal bests each and every workout. I guess it came back to bite me as I just did not recover enough. I might consider Friday a non workout day too to recover. 

I find it easier to stop cardio then lifting weights. I like that you exercise good and do it consistent it helps a lot. If you workout consistent things always improve. I am really happy your using the rower so much its a great piece of kit.

21 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

You may want to consider easier recovery rides between your run days to facilitate active recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only recently started to find out how important recovery is. I think part of it was that i was on a diet and still pushing too much. Body needs fuel for recovery too. I found myself too tired (mentally) and too sore. Plus a minor shoulder problem, so I think ill be taking a few days off (hate it) just to totally recover and then go on. 

I don't mind being sore trained through it enough but lower back sore is annoying plus lack of energy is just too hard. 

Every now and then I film my workout so I can re-watch it and spot technical mistakes, something that is quite needed when you train without a competent training partner of coach. Below one of my recent squats... reached 310 lbs (140kg) for 5, a personal best. As always the weights will go up every training so the reps will go down and maybe 4-6 weeks from now I will peak in the squad, benchpress, and deadlift.

(unedited clip to give an impression of the whole movement including walkout, breathing, etc).

8 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Every now and then I film my workout so I can re-watch it and spot technical mistakes, something that is quite needed when you train without a competent training partner of coach. Below one of my recent squats... reached 310 lbs (140kg) for 5, a personal best. As always the weights will go up every training so the reps will go down and maybe 4-6 weeks from now I will peak in the squad, benchpress, and deadlift.

(unedited clip to give an impression of the whole movement including walkout, breathing, etc).

I can see its a personal best and real heavy you do the same I do when it gets too heavy lean too much forward. (not that bad). 

Well done looks good to me, we all got a different music selection for me its hard rock. 

Archived