Home Gym

robblok

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

we all got a different music selection for me its hard rock. 

Thats the great thing about a home gym: you play your own music at the level you want, so much better than a commercial gym where you are stuck with either music they select or headphones.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Thats the great thing about a home gym: you play your own music at the level you want, so much better than a commercial gym where you are stuck with either music they select or headphones.

Well done with you personal best, and your right about the music. Not to mention the setting of the aircon. 

I was not complaining about your form, just see the same thing happening with me when I go really heavy. Usually results in more lower back soreness the next day. 

I messed up my shoulder, it was a minor annoyance for a while and money I still did 110 for sets of 10 with bench press, however when I tried it today i felt much more pain. So I did it with 75 (still some pain but manageable). 

I did go down a bit with my trap bar deadlift, i was feeling too wiped out after training sessions. That is never a good thing. Took me really a few hours to have normal energy and brain function. Just going a bit lighter helped at least (to some extent)

Some wise words I came across somewhere telling that people often refer to "overtraining" while it actually is "under recovering".
The recovery period is really important, especially in your case as you are already dieting down (less energy to recover) and have trouble with your night sleep.

Best to take it easy and keep focused on the long run - missing 1 training now will not have much impact on your results a year from now, while getting injured might take you out of the running for days/weeks/months. 

17 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Some wise words I came across somewhere telling that people often refer to "overtraining" while it actually is "under recovering".
The recovery period is really important, especially in your case as you are already dieting down (less energy to recover) and have trouble with your night sleep.

Best to take it easy and keep focused on the long run - missing 1 training now will not have much impact on your results a year from now, while getting injured might take you out of the running for days/weeks/months. 

I have actually stopped my diet for now, going to stay on maintenance or a bit above. My sleep is still a problem and yes 1 time not training is not a problem. I think sleep and diet are taking its toll, plus how demanding my program is. My last session i moved 19.000+ kg. So you can imagine that is a lot of weight and lot of reps and such. (deadlift, shoulder press, bench press, lat pully, weighted dips, and biceps curls). I kinda like the full body workouts. I liked the bro splits too they were a bit less demanding on the body because you had less compound exercises per session. 

My problem is that I am a full throttle kind of guy meaning I keep pushing myself and its hard to hold back. I made huge leaps in strength even during diet. But for the next couple of moths going to take more food. I am lean enough, might want to lean out more but only after a period of not being on a caloric deficit. I already took a week off last week. (and before that too)

I don't care that much about missing a session as you said its all about the long run. Most important for me now is to get my sleeping problem under control. 

Might switch to an other training program for a while even though this one is still helping me to make progress. Its just fun to see weights go up.. and that is addictive after a while of not moving. Still most of it was recovery from what i lost but now I am past that point and still adding weight to the bar.

For me adding weight to the bar is not a goal like it is for you but a measurement of progress. Might sound funny but I always think if I ad more weigh to the bar i get more muscles too. There is truth in this once you past a certain level. Its just that other methods of measuring things are harder then watching what you I can do.

Before this I was just standing still for quite some time so this period was addictive and made me push harder.

15 hours ago, brokenbone said:

nice gym ! i'm with you on dumbbells with adjustable bench,

only other thing i require is the machine with a vertical rope for triceps

I got that one, its called a lat pully good for the back too. I can't complain about my gym only thing is that in a commercial gym you have more options for legs then with just dumbbells and barbells. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking to buy a new piece of equipment. I was never good at pull ups. (wide grip) I can do them but not great. So i saw a nice machine. I hope to switch it out with my captains chair. Once i know the measurements I might be able to include it to my gym. Sad that I have limited space.

Gymware is really the cheapest and good quality

home_pull_up_dip_assisted.jpg

I ordered it, and in 20 to 30 days it will be here (they make it to order.

If anyone wants a captains chair (basically this device minus the pull up and assisted part (so only for abs and dips). Its free to pick up after i get this machine in the previous post.

the-abs-more-important-than-you-think-best-exercises-intended-for-captains-chair-inspirations-6.jpg

On 7/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, robblok said:

I am looking to buy a new piece of equipment. I was never good at pull ups. (wide grip) I can do them but not great. So i saw a nice machine. I hope to switch it out with my captains chair. Once i know the measurements I might be able to include it to my gym. Sad that I have limited space.

Gymware is really the cheapest and good quality

home_pull_up_dip_assisted.jpg

how much is that gym ?

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This one is around 4,900 

Image result for home gym chilindo

Had it before is total crap, there is strech in the cables and because it can do many things its good at none. It was one of the first pieces of equipment i bought. Was not worth the money in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

how much is that gym ?

Steven that one is 12.500   but I would not buy it if it was the first thing in my gym.

The basis is a power rack with a barbell once you got that you can do so many exercises safely.

After that one can add other stuff.

home_power_rack.jpg

http://www.gymware.com/strength_home_power_rack.html

Just for the record, I still think going to a gym is better for most people then to buy your own. Unless of course you are going to stay long term and there is no gym near. (that was the case when I came here). Now there are gyms but I got it all.. so i keep on going. 

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just for the record, I still think going to a gym is better for most people then to buy your own. Unless of course you are going to stay long term and there is no gym near. (that was the case when I came here). Now there are gyms but I got it all.. so i keep on going. 

I think it boils down to motivation. Some people just cannot get motivated at home working out alone. After a few weeks they get bored and stop. Those people would be better off going to a gym where the presence of others either motivates them or gives them a bit of distraction. 

I have no problem working out alone at home on my rower, but that is probably due to being borderline OCD and I can record my workouts using Egdata so I can check my history and set myself targets.  Having said that, I bought a second hand (unused) multi gym and it remains unused. I have used it maybe three times. Perhaps when I retire I will have time for it.   

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think it boils down to motivation. Some people just cannot get motivated at home working out alone. After a few weeks they get bored and stop. Those people would be better off going to a gym where the presence of others either motivates them or gives them a bit of distraction. 

I have no problem working out alone at home on my rower, but that is probably due to being borderline OCD and I can record my workouts using Egdata so I can check my history and set myself targets.  Having said that, I bought a second hand (unused) multi gym and it remains unused. I have used it maybe three times. Perhaps when I retire I will have time for it.   

Your points are valid, but I like to add one other point its best to learn the movements in a gym. If you just buy stuff and have never done any exercise or have had any instruction in it its hard to use the gym properly.

I know quite a bit but for instance a kettlebel swing is something I want to learn I got the Kettlebel but the swing is complicated. For stuff like that id love to have someone look at me and correct me.

Motivation is a good point, i am always motivated (ok sometimes I dont want to but i just go). I like that its at home, i can do a fast workout without any distractions. When I went to a gym I usually spend double the time (waiting and talking). Still it had its advantages. Both do.

Anyway I hope it only takes 20 days to deliver instead of 30 as i really want to do that exercise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Bob12345 said:

I think undereating is a large part of the problem now that diet is gone (not gaining fat might even be losing some) I recover better. I also split my program up as not to die every session and now just workout every day. One hard day one light day. 

I also added cardio to my program every morning after a bit of water I step on my crosstrainer and do 20 min (now 22) want to build it up to 25 and at ever increasing levels. I could do 25 already but its the mental part that holds me back. If i do it slow it will become an habit. Been doing it around 2 weeks now. I must say i see a bit of it back in my lifting. More energy. 

I hope i can maintain this habit, maintaining my lifting habit is easy.

The good thing about this is that the crosstrainer / elliptical is not tough enough on me to interfere with my other training. So it does not add extra stress. 

Im real excited about getting my new machine it will arrive tomorrow. I am donating my other machine to a gym for the under privileged. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't be happier with my new machine, pull ups are easier now but especially the negative can be trained more (going down slow). The only disadvantage is that it takes up more room then the old machine. I should have bought a bigger house ????

Been doing the cross trainer still in the morning and now at 25 minutes and doubled the level of intensity so far. I think in one or two weeks ill go to 30 minutes. My fears are just recovery from all of this as at 45 (not that old) its harder then at 25. So far that is going well and fat is going down too. 

I was not doing the cardio for the fat loss but it seems to help anyway. I do notice that by doing the cardio I got more stamina while doing weights. I have for a long time resisted cardio exercises because they were not what I liked doing. However now that this is a habit i feel a lot better after I have done it and it might even help me to go to my new weight goals (fat reduction). 

Also got an JBL link 300 speaker for in the gym, i can turn it on relatively loud in the afternoon without driving my neighbors crazy. In the evening and morning I put on headphones. Need to stay considerate. Spotify with a nice playlist helps me going through my workout. 

• 2 months later...

I agree that there's a lot of motivation going to a commercial gym, however as a mom, which time is really so impt.,  I was thinking of setting up a home gym. Your pictures are inspiring. I do not have the budget to purchase it all at once, and I'm not sure too if I have the space,  but I saw this Body Solid 7 Series, I found on this website,  https://thewiredshopper.com/best-smith-machines-to-buy/.It's an investment but I'm thinking if it saves me time going to the gym and if my husband and kids can use this and since it'll be mine forever, I guess it's ok.  I'm thinking of purchasing something like this next month, if you have any suggestions, your advise is appreciated. Thanks.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:55 AM, robblok said:

I have been doing full body 3 times a week, as recommended by experts. Before I did the bro split that you were talking about.  I tried both but full body just seems to be more logical. But its hard to switch between the two as they are opposite. 

I too always preferred the bro split and laughed about full body. That was until i read multiple articles on it saying that natural lifters could better do full body. They explained it that enhanced lifters have constant protein syntheses because of the steroids. Natural lifters don't have that and need to get it from training. It was then proven that 3x times all part of your body does a lot more then the bro split. I will link an article.

When you do full body you have to accept that it does not do as many exercises as with a split. I do around 24 sets of 8-12 reps. It still totally destroys me and I really have to put in medium days. If i stay too close to failure then i need an half our recovery after exercise. But I do a special version of full body that i read about. It goes something like this Squat then no break and shoulder dB press then a break and go again. Break long enough for breathing and heart to get back to normal. This puts more of a strain on the body as the blood that went to your legs needs to go back to your shoulders. So the heart is pumping hard. I do that for 4 sets then I do bench press / lat pully and then dips / biceps curl 4 sets and then some abs. If i get too close to failure I am totally dead because there are so many big compounds and this kind of training is hard. So I incorporated days that are bit lighter. Up I went again.

I have trained for years with splits and now I am doing this for the second time. It seems to work as long as I increase weights and make sure I have days i go a bit less heavy. I am one of those fools that used to think that only a 100%  was good. But sometimes you need to give 90% after a session like that I recover faster.

Anyway I might go back to split later on, but I made great progress on full body.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

https://www.t-nation.com/training/full-body-vs-split-training

Could you split full body in to a morning session and Lunch/evening session?

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I have and yes its possible

Except for time consuming working out two times a day, what do you think is the benefits splitting the body, and the down side of it? I have full days to fill, and for me it would be perfect. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Except for time consuming working out two times a day, what do you think is the benefits splitting the body, and the down side of it? I have full days to fill, and for me it would be perfect. 

the upside is you can put in more effort, but you only do full body 3 times a week. I liked full body but at times i do split too. Jeff from Atlean x has a great video comparing all the different workout forms. From full body to bro split to push and pull he can explain it better. Do look for that vid on youtube

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:23 AM, robblok said:

the upside is you can put in more effort, but you only do full body 3 times a week. I liked full body but at times i do split too. Jeff from Atlean x has a great video comparing all the different workout forms. From full body to bro split to push and pull he can explain it better. Do look for that vid on youtube

Tried it for awhile, and back to my 4 split program. It works best for me. 

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Tried it for awhile, and back to my 4 split program. It works best for me. 

It really is a matter of preference. Right now I am back to the split program too. I like both but like split just a bit more. I doubt it will matter much and only depends on how much effort you put in. Plus of course how your diet is.

Archived