When can i plant cassava please ?

I have never grown, not will I ever grow, cassava, so I might be wrong about this, but, based on my observations around Korat, you can grow it at any time of the year. Only yesterday I saw a field full of day labourers planting it. 

On this note, there's a thread running which might answer this, and other, questions. 

As djayz said almost any time, the wife's daughter and son in law plant cassava, they planted some 6 weeks ago, but around here  it is geting hot, farmers are now waiting for some rain, before planting any more ,

what has been planted is on black land, the growers with light sand land, of which we have a lot are waiting for the rain .and what I can remember of Chaiyaphum it is a light land area.

And water is the problem if you have some irrigation, most use a drip feed system, you can plant at any time and water the crop, this year cassava is a paying crop, prices are good 2,50 baht/kg around here, watering a crop does pay ,last year prices where low ,and watering  a crop did not pay.

But cassava is a long time in growing, waiting for the rains, and if they come late, you could have reduced yields, around here the season finishes about April time.

35 minutes ago, kickstart said:

As djayz said almost any time, the wife's daughter and son in law plant cassava, they planted some 6 weeks ago, but around here  it is geting hot, farmers are now waiting for some rain, before planting any more ,

what has been planted is on black land, the growers with light sand land, of which we have a lot are waiting for the rain .and what I can remember of Chaiyaphum it is a light land area.

And water is the problem if you have some irrigation, most use a drip feed system, you can plant at any time and water the crop, this year cassava is a paying crop, prices are good 2,50 baht/kg around here, watering a crop does pay ,last year prices where low ,and watering  a crop did not pay.

But cassava is a long time in growing, waiting for the rains, and if they come late, you could have reduced yields, around here the season finishes about April time.

thanks a bunch ! Usually it rain a bit on april, may be i will wait one more month to avoid watering. I heard i can pick up after 6 months so i can can plant 2 times a year on the same land. Is it true ?

17 hours ago, noopin2014 said:

thanks a bunch ! Usually it rain a bit on april, may be i will wait one more month to avoid watering. I heard i can pick up after 6 months so i can can plant 2 times a year on the same land. Is it true ?

I am no expert on cassava, and what I have seen it is a yearly crop, growing  it twice a year, yield would be reduced , costs would outdo your yield, if you do everything your self, land work, planting, harvesting, haulage, you could make something but you would have to work out when to plant, dry season?  and harvesting, will they be any buyers when you harvest .

Wifes daughter and son in law ,harested some cassva end of April  2 years ago, by then they was only one buyer in the area buying cassava, about the end of the season, he had a monoply  and payed a low price .

But if you have to use contractors to do all the work, can not see it paying, contracting chages would take away your profit.

Archived