Residence certificate - Kanchanaburi

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to obtain a residence certificate so that I can transfer ownership of a second hand vehicle into my name.  I have already purchased the car.  I entered Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa exempt stamp and having been staying in the same hotel in Kanchanaburi for the past 6 weeks with just a few days at other places.

Kanchanaburi immigration advised that residence certificates are issued by city hall.  I attended the immigration office on two occasions and spoke to two different officers.  They both said the same thing.

City hall advised that they require the owner of the property to attend their office with me.  I presented a letter written in Thai from the hotel owner stating that I have been living in the hotel and I also advised them that I just provided immigration with the TM30 receipt as I extended my visa for another 30 days minutes before. This was not acceptable to them.  They insisted that the owner must attend.  

I really don't want to drag the hotel owner into this mess more that I already have.  

Any ideas how I should proceed ?

Thanks

22 hours ago, seasiaman said:

They insisted that the owner must attend.  

I really don't want to drag the hotel owner into this mess more that I already have.

Seems you have little choice than to try and get the owner to go...or if impossible

"move" to another place where the owner might be inclined to attend.

I note that one of the templates on this forum is an application for residence certificate which I used to apply for my Thai Driving Licences. On the form is a box to be ticked if you are buying or selling a car/motorbike. Have immigration stopped issuing these now or is it just Kanchanaburi?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

24 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

Have immigration stopped issuing these now or is it just Kanchanaburi?

There are few offices that will not issue them or require you be on extension or a long term visa.

@cnx355  No, I haven't contacted my embassy yet. Thanks for the tip.

@johng  I read in other posts at different immigration offices all they needed was a letter from the owner.  That's why I went down this path.  Different offices, different rules I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by seasiaman

in my case, the owner of the building I lived in was some dude I never met that lives in Bangkok and the lady that rents from him subrents me the room.

it's absolutely impossible to get him to add me to the book or get a copy (or get anything from him) from what i understand.

so once or twice I had to ask a motorbike taxi guy to bring his home book and ID and say that i live at his house which is not recommendable but.. that was the only option for me.

I will need to get a residence certificate to change a bike from a Thai name to me this Tuesday and they always give me a hard time..

even if my TM6, TM30 and drivers license have my correct address (never changed)

by the way, sometimes you can get one from the local police station.. I had that done twice in a hurry and they charged me 1000 baht (usually 500 at immigration)

both of those, you don't get a receipt because I am pretty sure they are supposed to be free.

wish the "NO TIP" thing would make them start giving them free again but hey