How Can NES Teachers Get Justice?

Hey, do you guys have any idea about how to:

1. Prevent a bad school from taking advantage of new teachers (aka victims)?
    1. My idea is to somehow contact all thai job advertising websites to make a complain about the school and a request to pull their ads off of their site.
  2. To get a curriculum of the bad school inspected by some sort of government authority.
  3. To get the finances of the school audited by some sort of government authority.

In Australia, there is a department for this. I haven't found anything of the sort for Thailand. I know there must be one, otherwise any idiot with money and citizens could open up a school.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

After you’ve completed your noble quest, can you give us a follow up covering the ins and outs of Thailand’s defamation laws?

Do not worry, will be getting go fund me updates ????????????

17 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:
    1. My idea is to somehow contact all thai job advertising websites to make a complain about the school and a request to pull their ads off of their site.
  • To get a curriculum of the bad school inspected by some sort of government authority.
  • To get the finances of the school audited by some sort of government authority.

1. As has been mentioned, they won't be interested because you are telling them to refuse income

2. If they are licensed as a school, their curriculum has been inspected and passed by the MoE.

3. More difficult for Government Schools, but Private Schools do need to submit accounts, tax receipts etc.

And who do you complain to? Thai police, the deputy Prime Minister - they are all at it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Could I be sued for starting an online petition? My idea is to send an online petition in thai language to the parents of the schools social media. The petition would only talk about myself - I worked at school x for A to B, I didn't get paid, I miss the school and wish I could have stayed, and then I'll ask them if they can help with getting me my salary. Of course, the purpose is to get people talking about the school and hopefully that would pressure the school to change their ways to risk negative social media attention.

8 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Could I be sued for starting an online petition? My idea is to send an online petition in thai language to the parents of the schools social media. The petition would only talk about myself - I worked at school x for A to B, I didn't get paid, I miss the school and wish I could have stayed, and then I'll ask them if they can help with getting me my salary. Of course, the purpose is to get people talking about the school and hopefully that would pressure the school to change their ways to risk negative social media attention.

I'd suggest that you not do that.   I think the school will cause a lot of problems for you.  I know schools who have fired people, and made it hard for them to find other employment, for involving parents in admin issues.   It's considered as unprofessional.

I know a lot of parents may sympathize with a teacher, but I know none that are willing to go very far in supporting them in administrative disputes.   They have a child attending the school and that is their priority and rocking the boat may reflect badly on their kid.

The OP said he wasn't given his salary?  Like my thread, should i go to the labor department?, I'm curious if the OP went to the labor department to try to get his salary.  

Just say it's a school, don't say anything else, and give us some details.  I am curious how bad they treated you.  

I just found out my friend applied to a school that will only pay her for 10 months.  she's not mad at all, but upset she didn't see this before.  a 10-month salary is not a good start, i think.  

On 3/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, BestB said:

any idiot with money and citizens does open up a school

good luck with your battles 

bad luck for thai parents who cares and their children when time and money gets wasted for years without delivery of knowledge...

thais have not much service quality and almost no customer rights...every ding dong can do every business ... example beauty clinics...if somebody dies... mai loo mai pen rai...

Do what the Thais do - smile and walk away. Chalk it up to experience.

What you are suggesting could open up a whole can of worms for you. If you have not been paid, go and see a Thai lawyer who has experience in employment disputes, but even then you may just end up losing more money.

Posting online about it will not end well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 9:34 AM, puukao said:

The OP said he wasn't given his salary?  Like my thread, should i go to the labor department?, I'm curious if the OP went to the labor department to try to get his salary.  

Just say it's a school, don't say anything else, and give us some details.  I am curious how bad they treated you.  

I just found out my friend applied to a school that will only pay her for 10 months.  she's not mad at all, but upset she didn't see this before.  a 10-month salary is not a good start, i think.  

Hey there. Yup I went to the special division of labor department for international schools. Because I quit while my work permit was being processed, I can't do anything. The worst part is that there is not government agency that inspects the curriculum of private schools. If the school owner has a pulse and is of Thai nationality, he/she can run a private school even if the kids play checkers all day. This might be why thailand is lacking in world rankings for education?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Under the letter of the law, you're not committing defamation if you do that and your statements are factual. 

Buuuuut that doesn't mean someone can't accuse of you of civil or criminal defamation, and place the burden on you to prove you meet the exemptions under the law. It's all about your risk tolerance (and your willingness to get nasty, which pushes against the face-saving nature of Thais).

On 3/26/2019 at 9:34 AM, puukao said:

If the school didn't warn you verbally, nor write a warning letter, you're good to go to the city hall, where you'll even get a free lawyer. An ex-colleague did that twice, received more than he was asking for and it seems that it's mostly in favor of the employee.  Of course only when the school has made a mistake. If they didn't continue to employ you, it's a different thing.

To the OP. Your username says it all. "Let's clean up Thailand." Let me answer your question with a question, please.

If you're not okay with any governmental institution where you've had a more extended holiday, let's use Spain as an example, would you start and suggest that they're doing all wrong, without actually knowing what's going on? No matter what's wrong in YOUR eyes. You are, perhaps soon were a guest in Thailand, no more no less, regardless of what you did, or wanted to do.

There are school directors, friends of them with good connections to the top. And they can make your life very miserable, and you could quickly end up in jail. Have you ever heard about the computer crime act and article 44?  You can't fight a tiger, can you? BTW, how impertinent must somebody be to use "let's clean up Thailand" as a Non-Thai? 

Archived