Fish pond algae problem

StevieAus

Hi I am seeking advice on the eradication of string algae in a fishpond.

I have had the pond which is approximately 55 liters for about 6 years.

It is serviced by a large external biological filter and UV sterilize with good water movement through the pond and automatically topped up due to evaporation etc with clear bore water that we use.

Its well planted by water plants in pots and minimally stocked with mainly tropical livebearers ( platies, guppies Molly’s etc)

A few months ago string algae appeared which I manually remove including the use of a wet vacuum.

Unfortunately it appears to be a losing battle and continues to grow.

Short of using some sort of chemical my only thought is to drain, remove the fish sterilize the pond and plants and start again.

I cannot think of anything I am doing differently, feeding etc (I am usually conservative with food) and cannot find any information on  how this wretched stuff starts

Any suggestions would be welcome

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vogie said:

I bought 3 algae eaters for my 5ft fish tank about 12 months ago, now they have grown to about 6inches long. If there any good to you, you can have them. I am twixt Pattaya and Sattahip.

Thanks for the offer I had heard about these fish and tried to get some they reckon it’s illegal to sell them because when they grow people release them and they do harm, cannot think what they do.

Problem is I am 150 kms north of Chiang Mai but thanks for the offer

15 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

There is always an answer for every problem ..you tube algae eating sucker fish & as i did ,i placed my fish jars out of sunlight and let the plants do the rest.

15 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

There is always an answer for every problem ..you tube algae eating sucker fish & as i did ,i placed my fish jars out of sunlight and let the plants do the rest.

Thanks for the reply I have some of the sucker fish they are ok in a smaller tank but mine is a fish pond over 5000 liters and does get sun

This stuff grows so quickly I would need an army of them and then not sure they would cope

If your pond is in full sun then try some water Lilly or other plants that float on the surface and have 60 to 80 percent of the water surface covered.... for that stringy algie in the pond add some small tilapia they should munch it up quickly... take that guys offer up of his plecks or buy some more for your pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Maybe investigate aeration to offset low oxygen level of the water. Retaining ponds sometimes have them.

Thanks for your response I have very strong water movement through the pond with two pumps.

What I cannot understand is why it has only started in the last few months had no problem for years when nothing seems to have changed

The “normal” algae is eliminated by the UV sterilizer which leaves the water pretty clear.

9 hours ago, Grafting Ken said:

If your pond is in full sun then try some water Lilly or other plants that float on the surface and have 60 to 80 percent of the water surface covered.... for that stringy algie in the pond add some small tilapia they should munch it up quickly... take that guys offer up of his plecks or buy some more for your pond.

Thanks for your response will try and get hold of the tilapia, I couldn’t take up the offer of the plecks  as I live at the opposite end of the country.

I tried getting some locally but got some story about it being illegal to sell them which sounds BS

The pond is well planted and I have a couple of water Lillie’s.

What I cannot work out is why it has suddenly appeared and where it came from there has been no problem for years.

The “ normal” algae is eliminated by the UV sterilizer and apart from this stringy stuff the water clear.

9 hours ago, Grafting Ken said:

Another option is a tetra species called silver dollar... they eat everything green but could destroy all your plants.

Thanks for that but don’t really want to loose the plants.