American tourist attacked by armed gang after stopping robbery on Koh Phi Phi

snoop1130

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

People get attacked all over the world.

I am sure he is grateful they did not use knives or guns like in so many western countries

Good on him for intervening, I hope he has been given assistance by the person whose goods he protected

you know thailand has 4 - 6 times higher murder rate than majority of European countries and much higher gun murder rate and you are talking like tourists get shot and knifed in western countries all the time, not all crimes against tourists/expats get published to english news.

2 stabbed to death in samut prakan city in 2 days so there is definitly knife and gun violence in thailand, an american stabbed to death in udon a couple of weeks ago nothing reported in english news it is just that you cant read or write in thai so you dont get exposed to what really is going everywhere in thailand

27 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yet again you’re talking utter <deleted> 

Over 2 murders per day EVERY day in the U.K. last year - so what’s your point ? 

my point is thailand has more violence and murders than European countries, everyday i see people saying europe is much more violent and more murders despite statistics showing thailand is worse, people should maybe look up statistics or facts before commenting.

how am i talking sh*t when im stating facts, thailand has well over 2 -3 murders a day. only domestic violence kills 1-2 everyday that is almost the same as whole UK's murder amount,

but you dont know about murders and shootings in thailand anyways you sit and read Thai visa and bangkok post and think you know everything, read thai news instead and you will get an idea of how many and how brutal crimes there is.

Thailands figure is from 2016 latest figuers available.

UK population 66 million people - 719 murders = 0.9 murders per 100,000 people (2018)

TH population 68 million people - 3,000 - 4,000 murders = 4.4 - 5.8 murders per 100,000 people.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/gun-violence-in-thailand-a-problem-that-can-t-be-solved-10124114

15 hours ago, ta158 said:

my point is thailand has more violence and murders than European countries, everyday i see people saying europe is much more violent and more murders despite statistics showing thailand is worse, people should maybe look up statistics or facts before commenting.

how am i talking sh*t when im stating facts, thailand has well over 2 -3 murders a day. only domestic violence kills 1-2 everyday that is almost the same as whole UK's murder amount,

but you dont know about murders and shootings in thailand anyways you sit and read Thai visa and bangkok post and think you know everything, read thai news instead and you will get an idea of how many and how brutal crimes there is.

UK population 66 million people - 719 murders = 0.9 murders per 100,000 people (2018)

TH population 68 million people - 3,000 - 4,000 murders = 4.4 - 5.8 murders per 100,000 people.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/gun-violence-in-thailand-a-problem-that-can-t-be-solved-10124114

Well of course these people are talking shit.

They are either Thai or Western mercenaries.

The same people turn up spouting the same junk (usually "what aboutism") on every topic that might cast bad light on the Thai..

Hence.."What about the Emperor penguins of Adelaide Island..?"

A couple of months ago there was an article (Thai) describing the horrendous conditions in a Thai Zoo..and instantly they started shrieking "what about.."

If they are Thai then they are a disgrace to their country because they use "What about" to block change.

If they are Western digital nomads or mercenaries than the money is not worth the moral or ethical compromise.

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Interesting statistics to consider, went to Wikipedia to check out other countries. Most from 2016.  These are "intentional homicides" , so assume that leaves out automobile accidents and such.

U.S. has 5.35 homicides per 100,000 people, I am statistically safer here.

Wikipedia says Thailand is only 3.24, not 4.4-5.8

World average is 6.2 homicides per 100,000

For those considering a move to the Philippines, very high at 11.2 homicides per 100,000

Central and South America have some of the highest rates up into the mid 20's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

18 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Actually Thailand usually comes in higher than the US , Shock, Gasp, Horror.   ????

But don't believe me .. Murder Rate By Country - World Atlas

But the great thing is, here in Thailand, I feel so safe ... It's a feeling!  :thumbsup:

Yes the  "Murder by Country - World Atlas"  weblink states Thailand at 5.0 and USA at 4.7 -  but very close statistically.   Homicide includes accidental, reckless, and negligent acts, even with no intent.  Murder in intentional.  So yes, a different statistic, my bad.  Yet you would still be dead either way????

On 3/14/2019 at 8:09 AM, Emdog said:

I am skeptical the incident took place... doesn't pass the sniff test. Injuries real, perhaps a bike crash. Was he being sarcastic regarding "super helpful" policeman? Dude would be covered in blood, assume some emotional state & cop says "drop by tomorrow"? What about the swimming girl? No further mention of her...

I'm American, and we do have our share of odd balls, but the tone of the story & ending seems like just another tall tale from Thailand to wow his readers.

Maybe later I'll meet up with all the special forces retirees that seem to populate Pattaya and get their opinions

He wouldnt necessarly be covered in blood. I also got jumped by around 10 locals a few years back during a birthday night while everyone was drunk after my ex at that time was shouting at me and told his friends to beat me up. I got a table thrown on my back (not a big one though, thanks god), some beers bottles, kicks, and alot of random thai shouting and i had nothing really beside a very sore body the next day. As long as youre aware of whats going on and have a good view (in my case i was looking in between my fingers while covering my face) and know whats being thrown at you, you can adjust your body in a position to minimize impact/damage (obviously, easier said than done). 

I guess my point is getting jumped doesnt results in ending up in a pool of blood necessarly. 

Good point about amount of blood. I am a bit less skeptical now the cops have rounded up a couple of guys.

I had the crap beaten out of me by a gang in the 60's. I curled up in a ball (having seen some bit on training for civil rights workers) and basically waited for the gang to get bored and/or tired... not lots of blood, mostly bruises, black eye

On 3/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, Elkski said:

100%  sure it's sarcasm.  I don't use 110% because that's not possible.

If you are serious and have any  doubt,  is English your native language?  

I think I would be in trouble with three guys my size with sticks and a kayak paddle. If no one's been to Koh phi phi  it's a island with living housing area about the size of 8 rugby fields. So you would think if you found a motorcycle cop and were bleeding and looked injured and you had a woman at your side to verify things you would think policeman would try to help you right then. 

"Is English your native language?" Is "American" yours? When native ENGLISH  speakers express themselves the way I did, ("Maybe a touch of sarcasm?") i.e. with a question mark after the comment, it implies that I believe that the sarcasm was indeed 100% intended!  

Taken in the context of the original post, readers may have thought that he was being serious, as what he said  was a "stand alone" comment :-

"He said he reported the incident to the police, who Mr Trimble described as being “super helpful”.

Have a nice day!

22 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Interesting statistics to consider, went to Wikipedia to check out other countries. Most from 2016.  These are "intentional homicides" , so assume that leaves out automobile accidents and such.

U.S. has 5.35 homicides per 100,000 people, I am statistically safer here.

Wikipedia says Thailand is only 3.24, not 4.4-5.8

World average is 6.2 homicides per 100,000

For those considering a move to the Philippines, very high at 11.2 homicides per 100,000

Central and South America have some of the highest rates up into the mid 20's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

oh i guess wikipedia is better than bangkokpost or other articles

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, BB1958 said:

This is wrong on every level, posting it here on TV will not get the word out. Stephen, you seem like an articulate man, perhaps sending a copy of your report to USA and EU newspapers, may get better results.

Your case  Stephen is minor compared with this case

Don't give this bubala any ideas. Soon his wealthy mom and dad will send  American Democracy  style(see Iraq) to Thailand. Or some American Femi Nazi group complaining about violation of human rights will be camping day and night in that island. And then….bye bye cheap sex.

Archived