Cycling routes in BKK

OzMan

I am looking for cycling routes in Bangkok, through soi's and other interesting places. Away from traffic if possible. Also, I need to be able to rent a cycle at the start of the trip. Many companies offer this for a fee so there are good routes in the city, but the ones I have contacted provide their own bikes. I have been to Bang Kachao and Ko Kret so do not need to include these places. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

BUMP!

I’ve been offered a job in BKK, and I am nervous what will the cycling be like?  

The office will probably be close to the blue line MRT.

Let me note that I have a hardon for cyclists in Bangkok because they dont follow the rules of the road.

Because there are no rules. Theres a good chance you will die or get maimed. Or kill or maim someone else, like one of your cycling ilk almost did to me, whose face I shall not forget and who shall someday eat the pavement at my feet in return.

Make sure you have good medical insurance.

Be smart and take transit. Save the bike for sunday at 7am.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Let me note that I have a hardon for cyclists in Bangkok because they dont follow the rules of the road.

Because there are no rules. Theres a good chance you will die or get maimed. Or kill or maim someone else, like one of your cycling ilk almost did to me, whose face I shall not forget and who shall someday eat the pavement at my feet in return.

Make sure you have good medical insurance.

Be smart and take transit. Save the bike for sunday at 7am.

Sunday at 7 am was the sort of constructive suggestion I was hoping for.  

One of the great things about cycling early on Sunday is the amount you don't spend on Saturday night.

There's a cycling track around Suvarnabhumi airport and at certain times you're allowed to cycle in some parks (Lumphini etc). All other places are subject to the terrors of the road (cars and dogs).

Edited by androokery
(AFAIK)

24 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Sunday at 7 am was the sort of constructive suggestion I was hoping for.  

One of the great things about cycling early on Sunday is the amount you don't spend on Saturday night.

Cheap Charlie on wheels. The kind of dull expat ruining this country. Give me a jolly drunk sexpat anyday!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, androokery said:

There's a cycling track around Suvarnabhumi airport and at certain times you're allowed to cycle in some parks (Lumphini etc). All other places are subject to the terrors of the road (cars and dogs).

The airport loop sounds a bit tedious to do regularly, unless you are very competitive.  

Call me selfish, but I'd rather mix it in moderate traffic than have to cycle slowly, considerately and courteously in a park surrounded by errant pedestrians. 

But the park does make a nice destination, and a bit of welcome respite from the white-knuckle traffic to and from.

Thanks for the suggestions!

SC

15 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The airport loop sounds a bit tedious to do regularly, unless you are very competitive.  

Call me selfish, but I'd rather mix it in moderate traffic than have to cycle slowly, considerately and courteously in a park surrounded by errant pedestrians. 

But the park does make a nice destination, and a bit of welcome respite from the white-knuckle traffic to and from.

Thanks for the suggestions!

SC

Benjakitti Park close to the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit, and equally close to Sukhumvit MRT, has about a 2 KM circular bicycle path there that goes around the lake. The walking path is a separate one there, so the bike path itself is relatively free of interruptions. Both of them are 100% free of cars, motorcycles, vending carts, etc etc.

However, one downside at present is, the government is in the beginnings of refurbishing the entire park with a lot of construction going on. Both the walking and bike paths are open and useable now, but the time may come when they're put out of service temporarily.

You can also ride from mid morning to mid afternoons, if memory serves, around the track at Lumpini Park. There, I believe the walking and bicycle paths are the same, which is why bicycling there supposedly is restricted to the middle of the day hours. Close to Saladaeng BTS and MRT.

There's also a standalone bike path that connects the Benjakitti and Lumpini Parks that has no car/motorcycle traffic at all. But it has the downside of having I think three spots along the route where you have to get off and carry your bike up and then down a good stretch of stairs to get over and then down from some roadway crossings -- which pretty much breaks up the "riding" aspect of the trip.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Benjakitti Park close to the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit, and equally close to Sukhumvit MRT, has about a 2 KM circular bicycle path there that goes around the lake. The walking path is a separate one there, so the bike path itself is relatively free of interruptions. Both of them are 100% free of cars, motorcycles, vending carts, etc etc.

However, one downside at present is, the government is in the beginnings of refurbishing the entire park with a lot of construction going on. Both the walking and bike paths are open and useable now, but the time may come when they're put out of service temporarily.

You can also ride from mid morning to mid afternoons, if memory serves, around the track at Lumpini Park. There, I believe the walking and bicycle paths are the same, which is why bicycling there supposedly is restricted to the middle of the day hours. Close to Saladaeng BTS and MRT.

There's also a standalone bike path that connects the Benjakitti and Lumpini Parks that has no car/motorcycle traffic at all. But it has the downside of having I think three spots along the route where you have to get off and carry your bike up and then down a good stretch of stairs to get over and then down from some roadway crossings -- which pretty much breaks up the "riding" aspect of the trip.

The stairs sound a bit cyclocross; I can’t believe my cyclocross bike is so heavy, when they have stairs in their races.

Anyway, variety is the spice of life.

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The stairs sound a bit cyclocross; I can’t believe my cyclocross bike is so heavy, when they have stairs in their races.

Anyway, variety is the spice of life.

I can't find photos of the stairs/overpasses... But this is what the rest of the Benjakiti-Lumpini bike path looks like.

1905727630_2019-11-2222_10_55.jpg.1793a6a195b9847c86812e23acbd1429.jpg

1438019006_2019-11-2222_11_26.jpg.f9df5502cf9ce4f41a5e4fb76b86f40a.jpg

Be sure to inhale deeply along this section of the path, so you can enjoy the fetid aromas of the adjoining khlong.... 

Ahh.... this is an old photo, but the road crossings along the path look something like this...

397205103_2019-11-2222_17_30.jpg.878a2e8d1759124a686c29585fadfe40.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks very much.

In KL, I’m very much a road cyclist, albeit maybe rough roads, dirt roads, or between-roads-upstairs-or-over-fences.

17 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Do you think a bike over your shoulder would set off the metal detectors at the MRT?  Will I need to upgrade to a carbon frame?

Metal detectors at MRT entrances are irrelevant... Mainly just for show. Most of the time the staff not even paying attention to what goes thru them.

However, I can't say I've ever seen folks taking full size bicycles on the MRT system. I have seen folks carrying the foldable/fold down kind.

However, I don't directly know what MRT's policy is on bicycles.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Metal detectors at MRT entrances are irrelevant... Mainly just for show. Most of the time the staff not even paying attention to what goes thru them.

However, I can't say I've ever seen folks taking full size bicycles on the MRT system. I have seen folks carrying the foldable/fold down kind.

However, I don't directly know what MRT's policy is on bicycles.

I’d probably need to wash it first.

In seriousness, I wouldn’t take a full size bike on an MRT train, even if it was allowed, nor any train without segregated storage in peak hours; bikes are too clarty. Someone with white trousers will get chain marks at the other end of the carriage.  If a folding bike folds to hide the chain, maybe ok off-peak; tyre mud washes off easily, chain grime does not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, StreetCowboy said:

I’d probably need to wash it first.

In seriousness, I wouldn’t take a full size bike on an MRT train, even if it was allowed, nor any train without segregated storage in peak hours; bikes are too clarty. Someone with white trousers will get chain marks at the other end of the carriage.  If a folding bike folds to hide the chain, maybe ok off-peak; tyre mud washes off easily, chain grime does not.

BTS allows bikes, i used to take my daughter to school in the morning on the BTS and go for a quick 20/30km ride after she had been delivered.

bikes are restricted to the back of the last car, never had an issue over a few years.

Benjakitti is indeed closed to cyclists now, however the new park has a short loop, i use it to add a bit of distance but it is monotonous. the tobacco monoply itself however is a decent place to add distance to a ride.

Suan rot fai can be great during the day. its a lovely converted golf course to park, the fairways are like meadows. 

Avoid suan rot fai on weekends as they rent bikes to folk and it can get a bit hectic passing someone shaky.

infact avoid lumpini as well.

The lumpini loop is 1.8 km i think, i often ride both lumpini and suan ben via the green way, it is a hump, but the stairs are great exercise in themselves and between the two loops and the tobacco monopoly a decent 30 to 40k can be done when you include distance back and forth from home.

traffic really isnt as bad or terrifying as those on the sofa might suggest

• 3 months later...

You could also try Rama IX Park out in Suan Luang.  There are places there where you can cycle at a high rate of speed around an oval.  A lot of Thais riding $$ road bikes in pace lines.  They generally ride between 30kph and 35kph.  You can also go a bit slower through the main areas of the park.  Adjacent (well almost) is Nong Bon where there is a 4km track around a lake.  It's quite nice and a lot of shade as well.  Can also go over the bridge in the middle for a bit of a hill.  

• Like 1