BANGKOK
OzMan

Cycling routes in BKK

Do you think a bike over your shoulder would set off the metal detectors at the MRT?  Will I need to upgrade to a carbon frame?

17 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Do you think a bike over your shoulder would set off the metal detectors at the MRT?  Will I need to upgrade to a carbon frame?

Metal detectors at MRT entrances are irrelevant... Mainly just for show. Most of the time the staff not even paying attention to what goes thru them.

However, I can't say I've ever seen folks taking full size bicycles on the MRT system. I have seen folks carrying the foldable/fold down kind.

However, I don't directly know what MRT's policy is on bicycles.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Metal detectors at MRT entrances are irrelevant... Mainly just for show. Most of the time the staff not even paying attention to what goes thru them.

However, I can't say I've ever seen folks taking full size bicycles on the MRT system. I have seen folks carrying the foldable/fold down kind.

However, I don't directly know what MRT's policy is on bicycles.

I’d probably need to wash it first.

In seriousness, I wouldn’t take a full size bike on an MRT train, even if it was allowed, nor any train without segregated storage in peak hours; bikes are too clarty. Someone with white trousers will get chain marks at the other end of the carriage.  If a folding bike folds to hide the chain, maybe ok off-peak; tyre mud washes off easily, chain grime does not.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, StreetCowboy said:

I’d probably need to wash it first.

In seriousness, I wouldn’t take a full size bike on an MRT train, even if it was allowed, nor any train without segregated storage in peak hours; bikes are too clarty. Someone with white trousers will get chain marks at the other end of the carriage.  If a folding bike folds to hide the chain, maybe ok off-peak; tyre mud washes off easily, chain grime does not.

BTS allows bikes, i used to take my daughter to school in the morning on the BTS and go for a quick 20/30km ride after she had been delivered.

bikes are restricted to the back of the last car, never had an issue over a few years.

Benjakitti is indeed closed to cyclists now, however the new park has a short loop, i use it to add a bit of distance but it is monotonous. the tobacco monoply itself however is a decent place to add distance to a ride.

Suan rot fai can be great during the day. its a lovely converted golf course to park, the fairways are like meadows. 

Avoid suan rot fai on weekends as they rent bikes to folk and it can get a bit hectic passing someone shaky.

infact avoid lumpini as well.

The lumpini loop is 1.8 km i think, i often ride both lumpini and suan ben via the green way, it is a hump, but the stairs are great exercise in themselves and between the two loops and the tobacco monopoly a decent 30 to 40k can be done when you include distance back and forth from home.

traffic really isnt as bad or terrifying as those on the sofa might suggest