Northerners urged to stay indoors - Chiang Mai named world’s most polluted city for two days running

webfact

1 minute ago, isaantom said:

Of course.

And sitting down in my bedroom, waiting for better times, I read about a helicoptertrip of our Governor in the area where he localised the origins of this mess.

And guess what happened?

Do we try to guess the answer ?

Judging by this, it probably involved uniforms, speeches and some fire trucks.

cm108

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The report talks about Chiang Mai reaching levels of 130 for PM of 2.5.

In Nong Khai area, we had above that at 5am this morning.

This is not just a Chiang Mai problem but a problem affecting Central and North Thailand, parts of Laos and Myanmar.

At the very least they should be handing out free N95 masks.

There should be a thorough and concise report on the agricultural situation. It is many peoples opinion that monocrop production is the root cause of the problem. This seems to be conveniently left out of all reports.

Make the private hospitals subsidise treatment for respiratory disorders when the aqi is above a certain level. They should be sponsoring peoples health , not bike rides in the middle of pollution season.

All we hear from govt. officials is that it will get better and in the meantime they squirt water.

In the pictures above in the cm108 link, not one of those guys are wearing a N95 mask, not one.

So sad the poor air quality has an easy solution- through education, a public awareness campaign, and ARRESTING the  farmers who chose to burn their fields before planting season... It isn’t as if this smoke is from hundreds of factories spewing pollutants into the air- But Thailand has never been successful enforcing the law. They may have a rule against burning crops, or speeding in the city, or for not riding your motorcycle without a helmet but no one enforcement and the locals just grin about breaking the law. Sad situation which slows down the country’s development in a positive direction.

Just now, nickmondo said:

my health is more important to me than living in a beautiful part of thailand.

I am moving further south on Monday, and will come back to visit at more healthy times of the year.

What they do here is bloody ridiculous

Today is Thursday. Lock the door and get on a plane ( or at least an airconditioned bus/car) NOW, or at least in the early morn. Four days could save your life.

I do not have this measuring device from Lazada and I suspect if I ordered it I would not get it before the end of March.

Everybody says that the air without a good air purifier in your room is as bad as outside which seems logical. But my symptoms tell me over and over again that the air in my room must be much better than outside - I use 3M Filtrete filters for the aircon only which were scoffed at by many people here in the past. If I go outside I get shallow breathing and burning eyes very quickly - also it is similar if I go to other places here in Chiang Mai (indoors). At home I do not have these problems, so although I cannot measure the AQI for now, my feeling tells me it is much better in my room just with simple Filtrete filters. I have zero symptoms in my room - outside I get sensitive very quickly with my eyes (breathing normal with a N95 mask).

This is Thailand - we are the foreigners here and Thai people do not mind the air quality. (talking about the huge majority of people). For them it is not a "national desaster" like many of us would call it, which is why it will not change. Really, talk to people here, they really do not mind.

3 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

If you live in Thailand get an air filter and on bad days stay inside.  Seal your room as much as you can.

Wear a N95 or similar mask when outside.  

A lot of us have measured the air quality inside and outside.  The particles are so tiny that they come in even through the smallest cracks. 

I spent a lot of time sealing my rooms to prevent leakage and pollution from the outside but still some still gets in.

IQAir 250 Pro, out of most peoples reach, but worth every baht in removing PM 2.5 plus.....

Image result for picture of IQAir pro 250

cm108

At the link above from this morning's local news. Highest pm2.5 : ug/m3 reading recorded at Arunothai - 553, with an AQI of 664

The comment below says people were burning last night in the hills above Mae Taeng. Yes still burning !

People are arrested here due to vaping or smoking a cigarette on the beach. Meanwhile millions are currently slowly choking to death and nothing is being done.

Crazy! But here it is never worth asking “Why?”. Just wait until rain or wind comes and for it all to repeat next year.

Because NO ONE in charge here obviously cares or has the balls to actually address and fix a real problem.

Do some stupid search for signs of prostitution or overstayers in Pattaya is obviously all they can manage.

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, I will need to sit inside my air-conditioned room and contemplate that the room environment is the same as the outside environment. Sooo, staying inside is no different from being outside?

Worse ... depending on your AC UNIT 

Now there is a sad scenario. One of the best cities in Thailand,massively promoted to Tourists , and now off limits ... unless you are a thrill seeker extraordinaire. I loved my visits to Chiang Mai... I hate telling everyone not to venture near this area anymore. Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya , household tourist Mecca for decades... now destroyed by pollution, and all preventable. They have redone the beach at Pattaya ... it looks great.. but if you saw someone heading into the water for a dip... well it crosses your mind to warn them ... you will be sick soon... Oh.. yes.. and let's remove the street food vendors, who sell the famous ... what else... Street Food..  from the.... what the ...what else STREETS..of Bangkok... put 'em in a Mall ... makes it so much more exciting... and expensive ... and suddenly... not street food... 

I am giving up.. soon the ladies will be ugly... oh... that's happening too judging from a stroll round Pattaya hot spots recently... 555... Lol... 

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

"The overall air quality index (AQI) stood at 240, compared to the safe level of 100."

Did I miss government changing "safe level"? Has been double international unsafe level (25 I think, Thai said 50), but now quadruple that.

I'm sure there is some humorous analogy that would fit, but it's too early for me to think of one. cough, cough

"It's not the cough that carries you off, but the coffin they carry you off in!" (With thanks to my old Cockney mum, sadly long departed).

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

took the filter out of the air purifier this morning to have a peek.  called Toshiba in BKK and naturally they are out of stock

P1250661.JPG

I also have a Toshiba. Do you have to order from BKK? Are they available in stores down there too?

There were at least a dozen fire engines around the moat this morning. (I guess they could have been putting out the fires instead of what appeared to be a fruitless effort)!

They appeared to be taking water from the moat and blowing it in the air so I guess the problem is now solved.

The governer's sprinkling water solution in action!

31 minutes ago, Thailand said:

There were at least a dozen fire engines around the moat this morning. (I guess they could have been putting out the fires instead of what appeared to be a fruitless effort)!

They appeared to be taking water from the moat and blowing it in the air so I guess the problem is now solved.

The governer's sprinkling water solution in action!

Where are the drones with mollasses?

Any expat who can't afford getting out of CM during those three accursed months shouldn't be living there.

From personal experience, the air is poisonous to the highest degree: gradually, the lungs tissue is afflicted with painful lacerations; the liver works over time and acute stinging follows; the spleen is on fire; the skin aches and itches; the esophagus is scalding and the throat feel like being nibbled by hoards of red ants. If one isn't young, some form cancer is likely to break out sooner or later.

Peace and happiness. 

15 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Its actually unbelievable, what these people do to their precious land.

all because laws are made and forgotten, last year the goverment enforced the rules and we almost did not notice anything, now this year ? back on their lazy asses

Is Chiang Mai Governor Supachai Iamsuwan aware that this problem is reoccurring each and ever year? How many people have moved away from Chiang Mai while others will not dare to go there anymore. 

There is nothing easier for the government to monitor this burning exercise and start taking the responsible ones to the courts - after all, even in Thailand there is no smoke without fire! 

22 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

This is completely true!  So many people in Thailand think they are safe indoors just because everything is closed.

Being indoors with all the windows open to allow air circulation is not a viable solution.  Many houses in the rural areas, where the pollution originates, even with the windows closed have air circulating via the soffits and through cracks and gaps in the walls.  Only in the air-conditioned condo communities might there be a benefit to staying indoors. 

Archived