PM 2.5 meter?

NorthernRyland

34 minutes ago, thedemon said:

At first glance I thought the same thing. But thinking about it, I don't think it is possible to increase filtration without affecting airflow which must be detrimental to the A/C efficiency and so consequently increase power consumption. 

So it might be an expensive solution in the long term.

Not only that the company has been 'around' for some time but seems to be limited to 3rd world locations and has no published specs or price list that I could locate (other than 2-6 months for filter that they do not provide a price on).  Indeed airconditioner airflow is severely restricted with just a 3M Filtrete type filter. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought this one last year https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pm25-xiaomi-smart-air-quality-monitor-pm25-detector-pm25-xiaomi-jcy01zm-i294862517-s495810444.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.303348ffQbBAGp&search=1

I would like to think it reads high [emoji848] but it appears to be very accurate :shock1:
We are in the outskirts of Udon Thani, 20k from centre and its been 140 - 221 for the past three days!

Did you manage to get it connected to the app, I cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

37 minutes ago, fishism said:

Did you manage to get it connected to the app, I cannot.

I spent far too much time today connecting similar product to app as I just bought a filter, if you don't set the country as China it will not connect as has regional settings, once I got that sorted then had problems getting it to connect to the wifi---------------- eventually all works as it should, a pain getting there though. 

I spent far too much time today connecting similar product to app as I just bought a filter, if you don't set the country as China it will not connect as has regional settings, once I got that sorted then had problems getting it to connect to the wifi---------------- eventually all works as it should, a pain getting there though. 

I have the Xiaomi 2s also and that connects fine as European or China mainland but I cannot get the sensor to connect which only appears in the China mainland region, it connects to WiFi as I can read the sensor data from my computer but not iPad, iPhone or Android. Also tried on 2 other WiFi networks but nothing. One Video on YouTube about the problem has lots of people in the same situation, maybe it’ll work in the uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This unit is a good one. I've used them and many others here have as well... Charges with a USB power cable and has a built-in re-chargeable battery so can also be used away from power. Order from China, and usually arrived within a week or so. And unlike a lot of Thailand sellers, this one is available in stock.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

The display is clear and easy to read across the room. It comes with an English instructions sheet. And only requires you to plug it in, and turn it on... No adjustments or calibration involved. And it's accurate with a laser particle detector.

1907080143_2019-03-1519_21_04.jpg.78e423b26b978cdf1d539271d56a3d5f.jpg

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This unit is a good one. I've used them and many others here have as well... Charges with a USB power cable and has a built-in re-chargeable batter so can also be used away from power. Order from China, and usually arrived within a week or so. And unlike a lot of Thailand sellers, this one is available in stock.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

The display is clear and easy to read across the room. It comes with an English instructions sheet. And only requires you to plug it in, and turn it on... No adjustments or calibration involved. And it's accurate with a laser particle detector.

1907080143_2019-03-1519_21_04.jpg.78e423b26b978cdf1d539271d56a3d5f.jpg

Thanks, I ended up getting a Oregon Scientific (sold from inside Thailand) brand but if it fails I'll try this.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not only that the company has been 'around' for some time but seems to be limited to 3rd world locations and has no published specs or price list that I could locate (other than 2-6 months for filter that they do not provide a price on).  Indeed airconditioner airflow is severely restricted with just a 3M Filtrete type filter. 

That's interesting. Does anyone know about the Panasonic "nanoe-g" AC units? I just noticed that's what my new AC unit is but I don't trust it does anything without a proper HEPA filter. I'll get to find out once the meter arrives!

Just now, genericptr said:

That's interesting. Does anyone know about the Panasonic "nanoe-g" AC units? I just noticed that's what my new AC unit is but I don't trust it does anything without a proper HEPA filter. I'll get to find out once the meter arrives!

There are some newer air con units from major manufacturers, specifically I'm thinking of Samsung, that claim to have built-in PM2.5 filtration. I believe they're available here in Thailand from PowerBuy and elsewhere.  But I haven't seen a lot of 3rd party verification of just how effective they are compared to a HEPA purifier, for example.  I'm guessing, we'll see more of that in the marketplace over time.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/lg-แอร์-lg-inverter-iv13rnse2-237096

1500319942_2019-03-1519_58_54.jpg.750af287ddd659f28f2421a3c651a582.jpg

On 3/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, genericptr said:

Here's some cheap looking AC filters that claim PM2.5 reduction. Chinese, I don't trust it. I need the meter also to verify them. ????

https://shopee.co.th/Air-cleaning-Filter-แผ่นกรองฝุ่นแอร์-เครื่องปรับอากาศ-กันฝุ่น-Pm-2.5-i.23143041.1990596314?smtt=0.0.9

HomePro and Certral sells 3M Filtrete Sheets that can be added to any AC unit...

AD5DEE3D-F4D6-40FF-A628-AF15F22887E0.jpeg

1 hour ago, fishism said:

I have the Xiaomi 2s also and that connects fine as European or China mainland but I cannot get the sensor to connect which only appears in the China mainland region, it connects to WiFi as I can read the sensor data from my computer but not iPad, iPhone or Android. Also tried on 2 other WiFi networks but nothing. One Video on YouTube about the problem has lots of people in the same situation, maybe it’ll work in the uk.

Just tried to connect and after a few attempts was successful - surprise - surprise.

Had to reset and remove device, took a bit of messing to get it to reset & get wifi flashing.

Good luck

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

HomePro and Certral sells 3M Filtrete Sheets that can be added to any AC unit...

There are some potential issues with using those 3M sheets on a regular air con unit... Namely...

1. I've used them in the past in a way that they covered the entire surface of my regular air cons filters, and they helped bring down the PM2.5 levels SOME... But certainly not enough to cope with the kind of air pollution the CM area/north is experiencing now.  And one concern about that method is whether it ends up causing harm/damage to the air con unit over time.

2.I've also used them in the past in a way that's recommended in some places, and that's to cover 89-90% of the air con filter surface, and leaving like an inch of open space around the edges. When I did that, running the air con unit with the 3M sheets installed in that manner seemed to have negligible impact on reducing PM2.5 levels in the room.

3. With pollution the way it is right now in the CM/north area, those Filtrete sheets probably are going to need to be replaced pretty frequently, perhaps even once a week in order to avoid getting quickly clogged up. So folks had better have a good supply of the sheet material on-hand.

But for the record, if I was in the North region right now, I'd be doing anything and everything within my power to reduce the pollution levels I'd be breathing inside my home.

7 hours ago, banagan said:

I don't need to order a meter to tell me how bad it is indoors, it's bad. 

here here. I'm in particular curious just how bad it is in the bedroom with the AC on. I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security and I'm in for a rude awakening!

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

here here. I'm in particular curious just how bad it is in the bedroom with the AC on. I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security and I'm in for a rude awakening!

A/C only circulates the air inside, doesn't bring air in from outside, and a decent one should filter the air a bit, but not as good as an air purifier of course.

A post containing potentially defamatory content has been removed as per this forum rule:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. 

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Yesterday I was sitting having lunch in a small restaurant in the Old City, when a couple walked in wearing 'super-masks...' The sort that have two filtration units with replaceable filters, one on either side of the mask, full head straps to insure a positive seal... Very efficient! 

They sat down, removed their masks and proceeded to quickly eat a nice meal. As soon as they were finished, they both stood up, walked out to the front of the restaurant, and lit up cigarettes, Marlboro's if I'm not mistaken, and smoked for the next five minutes while chatting.

Finishing up, they came back into the restaurant, paid the bill, then very carefully put on and adjusted their super-masks, and left.  It's good to be healthy.

14 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yesterday I was sitting having lunch in a small restaurant in the Old City, when a couple walked in wearing 'super-masks...' The sort that have two filtration units with replaceable filters, one on either side of the mask, full head straps to insure a positive seal... Very efficient! 

They sat down, removed their masks and proceeded to quickly eat a nice meal. As soon as they were finished, they both stood up, walked out to the front of the restaurant, and lit up cigarettes, Marlboro's if I'm not mistaken, and smoked for the next five minutes while chatting.

Finishing up, they came back into the restaurant, paid the bill, then very carefully put on and adjusted their super-masks, and left.  It's good to be healthy.

There have been a variety of scientific analyses that have compared the health impacts of cigarette smoking vs. that of breathing PM2.5 pollution.

One of those, as linked below, basically concluded that for every 22 micrograms of PM2.5 you breath during a day, it's the equivalent of smoking 1 cigarette. So if the PM2.5 levels outside reach 110 micrograms (which they have as daily averages in the CM area for the past week), it's roughly equal to everyone breathing in that air smoking about 5 cigarettes each and every day.

285742707_2019-03-1702_01_02.jpg.cb9d9807500306cfa509aa86af65dcb6.jpg

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/

Air Pollution kills more people worldwide each year than does AIDS, malaria, diabetes or tuberculosis. For the United States and Europe, air pollution is equivalent in detrimental health effects to smoking 0.4 to 1.6 cigarettes per day. In China the numbers are far worse; on bad days the health effects of air pollution are comparable to the harm done smoking three packs per day (60 cigarettes) by every man, woman, and child. Air pollution is arguably the greatest environmental catastrophe in the world today.

In the broader northern areas this past week, the PM2.5 U.S. AQI readings have easily been averaging 200, and often substantially higher than that. So just using an easy number, a 200 AQI equates to about 150 micrograms of PM2.5. In terms of cigarette equivalence, that's the health impact equivalence of almost 7 cigarettes per day for each and every man, woman and child who's breathing that air. And of course more when the average AQI levels for the day go higher.

So back to your original anecdote: arguably based on the above, if that couple went out and smoked one cigarette each, and then wore their fancy masks for the entire rest of any 24 hour period with the air the way it is right now in CM, they're probably considerably better off having done what they did, vs. just hanging outside, breathing the ambient bad air, and not smoking at all!!!!

BTW, I don't smoke and I'm not defending or supporting smokers or smoking... Just making a point about just how bad the air pollution is right now in the CM/North region.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There have been a variety of scientific analyses that have compared the health impacts of cigarette smoking vs. that of breathing PM2.5 pollution.

One of those, as linked below, basically concluded that for every 22 micrograms of PM2.5 you breath during a day, it's the equivalent of smoking 1 cigarette...........SNIP.......... So just using an easy number, a 200 AQI equates to about 150 micrograms of PM2.5. In terms of cigarette equivalence, that's the health impact equivalence of almost 7 cigarettes per day

Thanks for those stats. I've never been able to internalize exactly how this air quality really affects me.  As an ex-cigarette smoker who smoked 30 unfiltered menthol cigarettes every day for 43 years before I wised up and stopped, I now actually feel BETTER about the current air quality. Just 7 cigarettes a day? Not nearly as bad as I had supposed! Certainly not 'good' for me, but not something for which I'd leave the comfort of my normal daily life to escape. At least it's not the nicotine, formaldehyde, ammonia, etc., etc., found in cigarette smoke! Of course I'd much prefer the clean, clear air of the rainy season, but that will be here in a few weeks.

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Thanks for those stats. I've never been able to internalize exactly how this air quality really affects me.  As an ex-cigarette smoker who smoked 30 unfiltered menthol cigarettes every day for 43 years before I wised up and stopped, I now actually feel BETTER about the current air quality. Just 7 cigarettes a day? Not nearly as bad as I had supposed! Certainly not 'good' for me, but not something for which I'd leave the comfort of my normal daily life to escape. At least it's not the nicotine, formaldehyde, ammonia, etc., etc., found in cigarette smoke! Of course I'd much prefer the clean, clear air of the rainy season, but that will be here in a few weeks.

That's one way of looking at it... But you realize, the health impacts of both smoking and breathing air pollution, especially PM2.5, are CUMULATIVE!  The more you've inhaled before, the more risk you incur when you continue to breathe in more on an ongoing basis.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:01 AM, banagan said:

A/C only circulates the air inside, doesn't bring air in from outside, and a decent one should filter the air a bit, but not as good as an air purifier of course.

A regular traditional air con unit pretty much does nothing to reduce the PM2.5 air pollution elements in a room. They're too small in size and pass right thru the typical air con's OEM filter. Just like they pass thru your body's defenses and get right into your blood stream and organs as you breathe them.  It's NOT the same thing as the dust you see collecting on your floor or tabletops, larger particles that the air con filter can capture.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's one way of looking at it... But you realize, the health impacts of both smoking and breathing air pollution, especially PM2.5, are CUMULATIVE!  The more you've inhaled before, the more risk you incur when you continue to breathe in more on an ongoing basis.

Very true. Which is why I was quite happy to finally figure out how to stop smoking cigarettes. I realize that the effects are cumulative. But I also realize that they are reversible.  I can see that clearly in my air consumption when scuba diving. I've watched my air usage improve from year to year to year as my body repaired much of the damage done by cigarette smoking. Which is also why a few weeks of 7 cigarettes a day for a few weeks, when compared with 43 years of 30 a day no longer sends me running off to foreign shores. It's certainly NOT healthy. But it's also not something to get in a panic over. Once the rains start, it's over and done with for another year.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A regular traditional air con unit pretty much does nothing to reduce the PM2.5 air pollution elements in a room. They're too small in size and pass right thru the typical air con's OEM filter. Just like they pass thru your body's defenses and get right into your blood stream and organs as you breathe them.  It's NOT the same thing as the dust you see collecting on your floor or tabletops, larger particles that the air con filter can capture.

I suspect that there are 2 actions that are going on in an enclosed room with airconditioner.

1. The water condensate on the aircon coils do clean the  air haze particulates.    And it's a somewhat "decent" device as the evaporative coil is of a good size wrt room size.  

2.  There is also natural decay of PM2.5 due to some action of them clumping together or what, i might be wrong with that description but there is indeed some decay over time.  Even in a normal room without an AC, the PM2.5 slowly decays over time.

Of course, with people in the room with closed doors and windows, there will be CO2 buildup, and so when you open the doors/window in exchange for fresh air, it'd shoot back up.

If I remember correct my personal measurements, it dips around 20-30% in an AC room.   Not really enough, i guess.

Even a 3M Filtrete electrostatic filter on the FCU (max fan speed please) +  another fan with 3M Filterete stuck at the back works way better than this.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, genericptr said:

Lol

On 3/17/2019 at 4:08 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Very true. Which is why I was quite happy to finally figure out how to stop smoking cigarettes. I realize that the effects are cumulative. But I also realize that they are reversible.  I can see that clearly in my air consumption when scuba diving. I've watched my air usage improve from year to year to year as my body repaired much of the damage done by cigarette smoking. Which is also why a few weeks of 7 cigarettes a day for a few weeks, when compared with 43 years of 30 a day no longer sends me running off to foreign shores. It's certainly NOT healthy. But it's also not something to get in a panic over. Once the rains start, it's over and done with for another year.

It isn't going to rain in your lungs tho..... 

14 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

It isn't going to rain in your lungs tho..... 

No, it won't. And it hasn't in the last 20 years and 7 months since I stopped smoking cigarettes. But my body HAS cleared the crap out of my lungs that cigarettes dumped in. We know that for a measurable fact as scuba divers calculating SACs. And that was 30 unfiltered cigarettes a day, every day for 43 years. This is only the equivalent of 7 cigarettes a day for a few weeks. No, it's not good for us. But it's also no cause to run away from home because of it. Vacations are always nice, but I prefer to take them when I WANT to take them, rather than when outside forces panic me into taking them.

6 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

No, it won't. And it hasn't in the last 20 years and 7 months since I stopped smoking cigarettes. But my body HAS cleared the crap out of my lungs that cigarettes dumped in. We know that for a measurable fact as scuba divers calculating SACs. And that was 30 unfiltered cigarettes a day, every day for 43 years. This is only the equivalent of 7 cigarettes a day for a few weeks. No, it's not good for us. But it's also no cause to run away from home because of it. Vacations are always nice, but I prefer to take them when I WANT to take them, rather than when outside forces panic me into taking them.

i hope you want tell us, 7 cigarettes a day for a few weeks (it more 3 months) woudn't do any harm to a newborn / child / elderly person ...  ????

Archived