Have you given your Wife/GF a credit card?

onekoolguy

My GF keeps requesting a credit card from me and so far I have rejected the request. I gave her one of mine to put fuel in her car and she immediately also spent about 2000 baht at Tesco lotus for household stuff for her mother.

That would have been ok if she had asked first but she didn't so I retrieved the card and no more use by her!

I was wondering if anyone else trusts their wife or GF with a card paid by you and what your experience has been? 

Immigration in USA often asks if they have a credit card? But I think the financial risk is too high?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Been there, done that, paid the bill with my British ex. She's the one who kept pulling money from the ATM "because the balance kept getting bigger each time", apparently negative numbers are not taught in Essex schools.

Actually, I have offered Madam a second card on one of my Citi accounts so she can shop at makro alone if I'm away working. She has always declined "because you will have to pay".

She has her own good salary as my "assistant" and could get a card on her own anyway, she hasn't.

2 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Have you given your wife a creditcard? No, she gave one (two, actually) to me.

Find a decent, financially independent wife and you might not have to worry about giving her a credit card or not....

Good point! I had one of those in my former life in the USA. She was even Asian, but would not move to Thailand with me. 

One of the things I gave up to be here!

Just now, Skallywag said:

Still cant believe a thai woman can use a credit card with a mans name like "Joe Smith" on it.   Does the cashier not question it?  Did she sign a receipt in Thai language ?

That's the scary thing! A lot of places just accept a credit card and never look at the name which even prints on the receipt. I get instant text messages when my cards are used.

The airlines often want to see the card used to purchase tickets at the time of check in. That can make it difficult if you buy someone a ticket and don't go with them.

1 hour ago, onekoolguy said:

she immediately also spent about 2000 baht at Tesco lotus

so, now you know... what else do you need...

When I first met my wife, when I returned to USA, I left her with an ATM Card... 6 months. She never used it. 

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

so, now you know... what else do you need...

When I first met my wife, when I returned to USA, I left her with an ATM Card... 6 months. She never used it. 

+1, unless she was out at night hustling money in another way.  

In a marriage there are many different circumstances when it comes to finances. 

Some men think wives should work for their own money, some men feel they should support their wives.  Some want to control their wives through the money they provide. 

What works for one couple may not work for the other (deep profound thoughts here - 555)

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Why don’t you just set up a separate bank account with a Visa debit card and then just transfer funds into it... You control the amount that is spent...

This is a very good idea!

28 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Still cant believe a thai woman can use a credit card with a mans name like "Joe Smith" on it.   Does the cashier not question it?  Did she sign a receipt in Thai language ?

I never saw the receipt but the cashiers almost never look at the signature. Many places now don't even require a signature under a certain amount.

33 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Why don’t you just set up a separate bank account with a Visa debit card and then just transfer funds into it... You control the amount that is spent...

Or why not get a GF that brings something to the table rather than taking

I had a VISA credit card issued from my U.S. account but with the wife's name on it when we traveled to the U.S. last year. At first she didn't understand it, but quickly learned. ???? Upon our return to Thailand she asked if she could use it here. Although she never makes a major purchase without asking first, I thought why offer temptation. I told her it wasn't valid in Thailand and I took it back. I never use a card here either.

My wife and I both have credit cards issued off the same account in the US but I don't like using them in Thailand for obvious reasons (fees and exchange rates).  So I got her a card here issued off of her local account which I pay.  We have been together for nearly 22 years now and I started her off slowly by giving her more and more responsibility over time.  She has never disappointed me but I am not saying it is a good idea for everyone to do as I have done.  I am just saying it has worked for us, in answer to the OP's question.

23 minutes ago, baansgr said:

You have answered  your own question....she took 2k without  asking.... How long before a cc would be maxed by her... 

That occurred to me right before I started dialing her to get my card back asap!!

My wife and I have had a joint account for 15 years.  She has a authorised user credit card on my account as well. How else can she pay for flights and hotels when I am not with her.  She has never abused it,  and as an aside, neither have I. Her Mother has a pre paid credit card that we load as required with an amount that we feel is appropriate at the time.  I don't know why a lot of mixed marriages seem to have huge issues with finances.  Maybe they just married the wrong people.  When we got married 22 years ago and she moved to the UK, I sat her down and explained how house/personal finances worked in the West.  Maybe others should do the same.   

Archived