Have you given your Wife/GF a credit card?

onekoolguy

6 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Yea! Well said that man, bravo bravo!!

It's easy to get into these situations with women a little at a time and difficult to get out of. 

A friend of mine once said "I am used to telling Women "NO". Sounds simple but a necessary skill!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, my wife has an ATM card and Visa.  However, she is so careful with money that she only uses it if she asks me first.  Now, our teenage daughter needed a card for convenience, so I just opened a zero cost Capital one checking account for me to move her spending money into, and taught her how to check her balance before any purchase.  EZ

1 minute ago, onekoolguy said:

It's easy to get into these situations with women a little at a time and difficult to get out of. 

A friend of mine once said "I am used to telling Women "NO". Sounds simple but a necessary skill!

Joking aside, I completely agree with you. I've been here a long time and can tell you that very few don't get sucked in (despite what you read on here) And I'm not just talking about idiotic blokes, pretty much everyone does. 

I can honestly say that if I had never met my missus I would be fairly well off now and she is nowhere near as bad as many I know about..I can also say that if we never had children together she would have been aimed out the door years back. I've laid my bed now and will have to carry on lying in it for a few more years, but it won't be forever.

2 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Sure, my wife has an ATM card and Visa.  However, she is so careful with money that she only uses it if she asks me first.  Now, our teenage daughter needed a card for convenience, so I just opened a zero cost Capital one checking account for me to move her spending money into, and taught her how to check her balance before any purchase.  EZ

Does she also ask you before she does everything else too? It sounds like you're her Dad?

1 minute ago, Essex Reject said:

Does she also ask you before she does everything else too? It sounds like you're her Dad?

Ha ha.  For the wife, she only checks with me on the big ticket items, like $100+, no issues with her buying gas, food, clothes on her own.  She is thrifty by nature, so I have no concerns. 

Now kids are a different story, as we all know.

I gave to my wife (American express) before 6 years, still, she doesn't use that. If you're going to live with her, you should take care of her also. even the fingers in our hand isn't same, then how we expect all woman or mam would be good or same... 5555

11 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Joking aside, I completely agree with you. I've been here a long time and can tell you that very few don't get sucked in (despite what you read on here) And I'm not just talking about idiotic blokes, pretty much everyone does. 

I can honestly say that if I had never met my missus I would be fairly well off now and she is nowhere near as bad as many I know about..I can also say that if we never had children together she would have been aimed out the door years back. I've laid my bed now and will have to carry on lying in it for a few more years, but it won't be forever.

Once "emotions" become involved it's a lot harder to do things we "logically" know should be done. Everyone says Women are "emotional creatures" as if men can't get sucked into that also.

2 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

If my gf or wife did this I would make her stand in the naughty corner for 6 hours without

...any clothes on except peep hole bra and panties, suspenders and stockings, and crocodile clips on her nipples........ which i occasionally would flick..........

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

My wife and I have had a joint account for 15 years.  She has a authorised user credit card on my account as well. How else can she pay for flights and hotels when I am not with her.  She has never abused it,  and as an aside, neither have I. Her Mother has a pre paid credit card that we load as required with an amount that we feel is appropriate at the time.  I don't know why a lot of mixed marriages seem to have huge issues with finances.  Maybe they just married the wrong people.  When we got married 22 years ago and she moved to the UK, I sat her down and explained how house/personal finances worked in the West.  Maybe others should do the same.   

I'm sure there will be many taking your sage advice. Thank you.

Yes - second card on my account in her name.  She uses it to book flights and sometimes to buy junk from Lazada.  

8 years together, never had an issue with trust.

If you don't trust your partner, you should find a better one,  not really a supply shortage in Thailand.

Perhaps you escalated her from GF to the White Knight "Wife Zone" too quickly?  Do you have a habit of playing "house" with girlfriends?

Suggest you nip this in the bud and demote her back to the "I pull your hair and shove your slightly drunken face into the pillow at 3am", zone.   And then burn the credit card and close the account.

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

+1, unless she was out at night hustling money in another way.  

In a marriage there are many different circumstances when it comes to finances. 

Some men think wives should work for their own money, some men feel they should support their wives.  Some want to control their wives through the money they provide. 

What works for one couple may not work for the other (deep profound thoughts here - 555)

Yes. Nice to see it put down so clearly... Our situation is unique as everyone else. Even the money I have left in a desk for expenses, my wife cannot bring herself to touch unless she asks... that said, she has no problem asking for large amounts if there is a good deal on land or something like that which I will not see a return on... 

and no, my wife was not a night hustler, always legit jobs, actually since she was 12 years old... and I have been pleased to afford her a life in which she does not have to work and can spend time with and take care of her family. Since I offered, I feel it is my job to make sure that it is a financially secure life for her too. Everything I have here is in her name. And if I walk away tomorrow, I will still feel I have done right by her and the family. And of course, with my attitude and genuine care for them, they hold me in consideration and value too... her dad would not accept the cost of moving his house to our property until I reassured him that I had XXX,XXX in the bank for myself... it is a pleasure to assist nice people. 

Not sure amused is the right word but I have seen the frustration build with some couples where the fellow is wealthy but controlling. Maybe afraid the wife will leave if she has money? I made sure my wife has $$ in her own name so that she will feel secure... but, to each Skally, to each indeed. 

2 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

I can't say no, so I just ask them to be gentle.. 

These threads are getting better. Holiday allowances, now her own credit card on your bill. Incredible. I really hope these women are stunningly beautiful and nymphomaniacs to warrant all this from their 'boyfriend' or 'husband'. 

To answer the question, we have a joint credit card account with CitiBank and she has her own Bangkok Bank one. We use the CitiBank one together for things like holidays etc and then clear the bills together. She can do whatever she wants with her own Bangkok Bank one, just as I do with my UK one. 

35 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

These threads are getting better. Holiday allowances, now her own credit card on your bill. Incredible. I really hope these women are stunningly beautiful and nymphomaniacs to warrant all this from their 'boyfriend' or 'husband'. 

I lived with a nymphomaniac Thai girl a while, she was very cheap as she couldn't manage to withhold sex more than about an hour.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I lived with a nymphomaniac Thai girl a while, she was very cheap as she couldn't manage to withhold sex more than about an hour.

An hour!!?? ????

You must have been red raw. 

My Thai wife has her own Visa card. Oddly, does not have her name on the front as in the West. Anyone else experience and/or notice this? She is tighter with money than I am, btw: do not worry about her going on shopping rampage or any of that sort of behavior

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And that's when you discovered that you really can F*** your brains out? 

With all due respect of course... 

Not a chance in the world would I give my wife a credit card or access to mine, i.e. if I had one, we both have our own debit cards, separate accounts of course, i.e. she has hers and I have mine.

The safe is never shy of a few bundles of 1,000 baht notes, she has access to it, my wallet is never shy of 5-10k baht, she never touches it, so a credit card is definitely out of the question, only because the banks want an annual fee and charge ridiculous interest rates.

For those who have one, please spare me, I know, I know, you use them because your bank can stop a payment on an item if the goods are not what they are supposed to be, etc, etc and you get frequent flyer points, good luck to you, i.e. if your not paying an annual fee, although you are paying in some way, but won't argue with you, you have the card, and that is your prerogative ????

Would you give your wife/partner a credit card in your home country?

If yes then why not here too?

Women are exactly the same all over the world!

It depends who you choose to live with. So, eventually, it depends on you.

My wife has a secondary card, with an appropriately sized credit limit. Never had an issue. Also my son has one since he turned 16.

I guess it depends on the circumstances, as always. If there's a problem with spending and accountability using cash already, you're only inviting more trouble with a credit card, allowing to spend money that's not there.

No bad experiences here, not at all. My wife has 2 credit cards since a long time, 2nd ones tied to my cc accounts. She has never, ever misused the cards and never will. I have known my wife for 32 years. She knows what it takes to make money, so she knows its value. 

Archived