Have you given your Wife/GF a credit card?

onekoolguy

Mrs NL has a PayPal MasterCard from the US and a Caxton fx VISA card from the UK that are paired with mine on my pre-paid $ and £ accounts respectively. I retain the control on if and when any topping up is needed. They are chip-and-pin and can be used for daily POS and online purchases and either $500 or £400 daily ATM withdrawals.

We maintain a float for emergencies while I am away from home but I top it up if she's traveling to meet me in Las Vegas, Tahiti or Monaco or we're taking the kids to Disneyland in Orlando or a summer break at the clan cave on Royal Deeside, just down the road from Liz at Balmoral.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not a chance in the world would I give my wife a credit card or access to mine, i.e. if I had one, we both have our own debit cards, separate accounts of course, i.e. she has hers and I have mine.

The safe is never shy of a few bundles of 1,000 baht notes, she has access to it, my wallet is never shy of 5-10k baht, she never touches it, so a credit card is definitely out of the question, only because the banks want an annual fee and charge ridiculous interest rates.

For those who have one, please spare me, I know, I know, you use them because your bank can stop a payment on an item if the goods are not what they are supposed to be, etc, etc and you get frequent flyer points, good luck to you, i.e. if your not paying an annual fee, although you are paying in some way, but won't argue with you, you have the card, and that is your prerogative ????

Hey money bags. You can pay your balance off each month and then get your points etc. also many cards have no annual fees and no fees for foreign transactions. But if you keep all your wads in the safe as you do I guess you have no credit rating to even qualify for a card. So please. SPARE US! 

18 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

But if you keep all your wads in the safe as you do I guess you have no credit rating to even qualify for a card. So please. SPARE US!

Haha your funny and broke to have to own a credit card, besides who wants a credit rating when you have wads of money in the bank ????

What i learnend in life, people and money dont fit together.

No matter if it is family, your wife, gf or just a friend, at one point they think its normal

to have your money for themselves. Lived it, heard it, It is sad.

With money it is misplaced to have trust in anyone.

I trusted my first wife, wrong. i trusted the gf after that, wrong.

THey had a card and misused it. After that no one gets the card anymore.

Also lending is not so common to do any more from me. You have the same problems. How much sometimes i would love to help, experiences closed the door.

9 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

I was wondering if anyone else trusts their wife or GF with a card paid by you and what your experience has been? 

Yes a supplementary card.

Experience has been great.

It's about trust and responsibility. Not about nationality.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Haha your funny and broke to have to own a credit card, besides who wants a credit rating when you have wads of money in the bank ????

Having credit cards with no carry over balance is being broke? So I guess you are involved in illegal activities since all you have is cash. Also it’s you’re not your. ????????????

My Thai wife of 10 years does have her own CC. The payment is made directly from our joint bank account each month and there is never a problem. I guess each to his own, but it depends on the level of mutual trust between the couple. Clearly looking at some of the posts there are some relationships that don't enjoy that trust or there is history of being ripped off ( maybe more than once). I agree it's easier to choose a bad partner poorly than it is to choose wisely.

17 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Having credit cards with no carry over balance is being broke? So I guess you are involved in illegal activities since all you have is cash. Also it’s you’re not your. ????????????

Too much time on your hands.

No illegal activities here, got to park the money somewhere after selling assets, the bank is usually a good place, plus the stock market as it provides a tax free haven, but then again you would know that because people that own credit cards are one up, they can spell too, so I have been told.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are guys who like giving houses to people they don't like or trust. 400,000 of them last year in America I think. 

My question was "Why?" I am aware it happens; look at all these replies.

Do you really think they "like" it?

Offensive remark and subsequent responses/quotes have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

25 minutes ago, smotherb said:

My question was "Why?" I am aware it happens; look at all these replies.

Do you really think they "like" it?

Can't speak for them but for myself it was pregnancy.  I was drunk she was available.  Or the reverse.  It was a long time ago.  I'm sketchy on the details but there was a lot of sex and booze one way or the other. 

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Can't speak for them but for myself it was pregnancy.  I was drunk she was available.  Or the reverse.  It was a long time ago.  I'm sketchy on the details but there was a lot of sex and booze one way or the other. 

Well, I guess that happens and you may have liked the sex and the booze, but . . .

Seems like a lot of "cheap Charlies" on this site.  When my daughter was like 15 I gave her a credit card she could use (had her name on it) Lot of parents in USA give them to there kids with say a $300--$500 liit tied to one of the parent's accounts they are called Student Cards.  My wife has her own card but I gave my first Thai GF a card like that also  that she could use for purchase when I was not here . Told her to use $150---$200 a month and that's what she did. She was from poor Issan family and would send me photos of a bed , TV and other things she would buy with the card each month.

Another concern here re: money/finances is gambling addictions.  A few guys I know here are married to women with that problem.  Often covered with "she's taking a couple days off" or "went to the temple", but come to find out she went AWOL on a 2-day gambling binge.  That must be a terrible way to live - for both.  :saai:

Yes, several, our relationship is built on trust and respect. And before someone says something about, "Just wait till the bills come in." We've been together for 27 years and she got the cards when we'd been together around 5 years....never had an issue. Saying all that; I've had friends that wouldn't trust their GF's/wives with 500 baht......and for good reason. 

40 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Another concern here re: money/finances is gambling addictions.  A few guys I know here are married to women with that problem.  Often covered with "she's taking a couple days off" or "went to the temple", but come to find out she went AWOL on a 2-day gambling binge.  That must be a terrible way to live - for both.  :saai:

Knew a German retiree in Pattaya that when he died left 3 houses for rental income for his Thai wife plus the one they lived in plus the car and about $20,000 US in cash. In less than 4 years she has lost the rental houses, cash and is about to lose the one they lived in due to her gambling.

My GF keeps requesting a credit card from me and so far I have rejected the request. I gave her one of mine to put fuel in her car and she immediately also spent about 2000 baht at Tesco lotus for household stuff for her mother.
That would have been ok if she had asked first but she didn't so I retrieved the card and no more use by her!
I was wondering if anyone else trusts their wife or GF with a card paid by you and what your experience has been? 
Immigration in USA often asks if they have a credit card? But I think the financial risk is too high?
My wife and i have joint bank accounts both here and in the UK ,she also has access to my debit cards ,why wouldnt i she is my wife i trust her.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My Wife has her own Credit cards... worryingly quite a few (about 5 or 6 I think).

When I was a student - companies were throwing Credit Cards at me, I found that white immoral, as if they are encouraging us to get indebted to them).

In similar manner Banks and Credit card companies are regularly calling up my Wife to offer this or that loan.

A couple of my Wife's cards have high limits (1MB+) which I'm not keen on, I asked her and she lowered the limits to something more reasonable (about 400k I think), but in no time at all the Card Company had 'crept up' the limits. I trust my Wife, I don't trust the Banks not to cover a debt should the card be used fraudulently. 

And, in contrast to the topic, my Wife has given me two Thai Credit Cards (because I don't work in Thailand and can't get my own Thai cards). It's very handy and we build up air-miles using the card which we use for a yearly trip overseas.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

All that drama for ameasly 2000 baht? I blow that treating myself to dinner and Swensons.

The amount really had nothing to do with it. This was for a non-live in GF not a wife. I loaned her my car and a credit card to put fuel in it. It was my card with a high limit and I expected her to use it only for the car. Within a few hours I got a text about the unauthorized purchase. Had she asked I would have said sure ok! But by not asking she ruined her chance for her own card which I was going to give her with a reasonable limit. 

I just wish all of my woman related losses were this low! 

Yes, she is still around, but so far without a credit card. 

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Knew a German retiree in Pattaya that when he died left 3 houses for rental income for his Thai wife plus the one they lived in plus the car and about $20,000 US in cash. In less than 4 years she has lost the rental houses, cash and is about to lose the one they lived in due to her gambling.

Pretty sure the dead German guy wasn't too bothered about that so why does it still ruffle your feathers?

Years ago I gave my ex wife a credit card with understanding that is should only be used for emergencies... After several months I noticed several small charges from Lazada on my cc bill. After asking my ex if she used the card for any purchases, her answer was "Yes, I used it. What is the point of having a credit card if I don't use it". I guess the "emergency" thing didn't quite register with her....

Archived