Have you given your Wife/GF a credit card?

onekoolguy

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pretty sure the dead German guy wasn't too bothered about that so why does it still ruffle your feathers?

I was responding to 55Jay who was talking about the problem with giving a card to "some" Thai women who have a gambling problem and would rack up debts.  I simply agreed and mentioned my own observation of what can happen with people with gambling addictions or don't know how to control finances.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEVER EVER.......give them ATM, or Credit Card until they have earned their 10 yr Good Service Award.

And even then, NO......cuz its been 10 yrs and she sure dont look at you like she did 10 yrs ago.

Advise her.......she should build her own credit history, by getting a job, then get her own card and make all the payments.........after that she can talk to you about it......but answer is still no.

see what happened at Tesco first time? Multiply that by 100

5 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

NEVER EVER.......give them ATM, or Credit Card until they have earned their 10 yr Good Service Award.

And even then, NO......cuz its been 10 yrs and she sure dont look at you like she did 10 yrs ago.

Advise her.......she should build her own credit history, by getting a job, then get her own card and make all the payments.........after that she can talk to you about it......but answer is still no.

And what if she has no job because after marrying/living with you and having kids she is a stay at home housewife that relies on you for support and a credit history?

37 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Clearly you didn’t get your ‘wads’ from being smart!

I made my money from using the banks money in buying property, not with credit cards, regardless of free fee's, there for paupers such as yourself.

Smart, maybe not, rich, absolutely, and without having a credit card, absolutely amazing.

15 hours ago, greg67 said:

Years ago I gave my ex wife a credit card with understanding that is should only be used for emergencies... After several months I noticed several small charges from Lazada on my cc bill. After asking my ex if she used the card for any purchases, her answer was "Yes, I used it. What is the point of having a credit card if I don't use it". I guess the "emergency" thing didn't quite register with her....

So she used it several times over several months...?

How often do you use it ? 

????????

On 3/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, onekoolguy said:

That's the scary thing! A lot of places just accept a credit card and never look at the name which even prints on the receipt. I get instant text messages when my cards are used.

The airlines often want to see the card used to purchase tickets at the time of check in. That can make it difficult if you buy someone a ticket and don't go with them.

I thought the name on the credit card is the name you wanted to appear on the credit card. Don’t have to be your actual passport name. I use a different name on my credit card and nobody ever asked to see my ID card to verify it was me. Airline only wanted to see whether the credit card with you upon checkin is the same one used to purchase the ticket. 

On 3/15/2019 at 9:16 AM, Captain 776 said:

After my missus stay with me, she became a housewife so not having income of her own. I applied a credit card for her use especially for groceries and online purchases which are so convenient. They provide an itemized list of purchases monthly so makes it easier to keep track of expenses. So long as there is a reasonable amount of credit limit, there is no harm done. 

If it is wife and she is a housewife with no income of her own, then I think it is humane to give her a credit card with a certain limit for her purchases. It is itemized monthly billing so no worries. Moreover, the credit card bills can be deducted from your bank account monthly so no fear of late payment charges. 

If the wife is good enough to share your bed and bear your children, then she is well qualified to share your trust and finance. 

On the other hand, if she is just your girlfriend or bedmate, then I would be wary and do my due diligence before trusting her with a credit card. 

54 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I thought the name on the credit card is the name you wanted to appear on the credit card. Don’t have to be your actual passport name. I use a different name on my credit card and nobody ever asked to see my ID card to verify it was me. Airline only wanted to see whether the credit card with you upon checkin is the same one used to purchase the ticket. 

Most of the time they just run the card and don't look at the name or match the signature. However I do occasionally get asked for I.D. For online purchases they often match name and statement mailing address. For airlines some don't much care but some want you to present the card at check in to verify. I tried to buy a ticket for a GF who was traveling separately from me. They wanted to see the card. I said I live 250 miles from the airport. They said go in advance and show them or no ticket for her! I had to go through a ticket agency to buy the ticket as they didn't have that requirement. For same airline but a little higher. For my daughter, I give her the card with a signed letter for permission to use for tickets and lodging. 

32 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

If it is wife and she is a housewife with no income of her own, then I think it is humane to give her a credit card with a certain limit for her purchases. It is itemized monthly billing so no worries. Moreover, the credit card bills can be deducted from your bank account monthly so no fear of late payment charges. 

If the wife is good enough to share your bed and bear your children, then she is well qualified to share your trust and finance. 

On the other hand, if she is just your girlfriend or bedmate, then I would be wary and do my due diligence before trusting her with a credit card. 

I totally agree!  I was married for a very long time and made sure my wife had several cards in her name which she seldom used. She had very good credit. When we separated I cancelled all of the joint accounts but she still had a few in her name. She took up gambling and quickly ran them all up to the limit. She still pays the minimum payment but I'm sure glad I'm not on the accounts! Things can change quickly!

give them a pre paid set fixed limit card.  Now of course, even that may be quickly filled up and depending on your arrangements and agreements she won't pay it down and maybe is not expected to pay it down.  But forgetting that for the moment, only give her a card with a set limit based on some amount you put on deposit with the card/bank.  There are several pre paid credit cards out there that do function exactly like a credit card and not just like an ATM or debit card

There seems to be an assumption in some posts that you either have a 'real wife' who has a job, a degree and her own credit cards, (but probably looks like an auntie) .... or you have a young pretty on rental.

I'm sure these two extremes exist, but I bet most of us are somewhere in the middle.

My wife is gloriously hot (in my eyes anyway), and that's what first attracted me to her, but she's also smart, caring, affectionate, faithful and good with money.  But she earns significantly less than me through her own business, so we're only able get her a credit card via the joint account based on my monthly salary.

I admit that I gave a higher weighting to looks over earning potential when choosing a mate, and she did the reverse - but it works for us, and for many others I'm sure.

55 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

There seems to be an assumption in some posts that you either have a 'real wife' who has a job, a degree and her own credit cards, (but probably looks like an auntie) .... or you have a young pretty on rental.

I'm sure these two extremes exist, but I bet most of us are somewhere in the middle.

My wife is gloriously hot (in my eyes anyway), and that's what first attracted me to her, but she's also smart, caring, affectionate, faithful and good with money.  But she earns significantly less than me through her own business, so we're only able get her a credit card via the joint account based on my monthly salary.

I admit that I gave a higher weighting to looks over earning potential when choosing a mate, and she did the reverse - but it works for us, and for many others I'm sure.

My wife is a bit like an auntie as she approaches 50 and she treats me like an employee.  It could be worse.  She really makes good soup.  

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

You mean:  or and have a young pretty on rental?

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, Tony125 said:

And what if she has no job because after marrying/living with you and having kids she is a stay at home housewife that relies on you for support and a credit history?

It's not necessary to use a credit card in LOS ( or anywhere ). I never used a credit card in LOS except to bring money over for holiday, and I put the money in the account in the UK before taking it out in LOS, so no payments necessary. ( card was free too ). Had that not been an option I'd have used travellers cheques.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:53 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not necessary to use a credit card in LOS ( or anywhere ). I never used a credit card in LOS except to bring money over for holiday, and I put the money in the account in the UK before taking it out in LOS, so no payments necessary. ( card was free too ). Had that not been an option I'd have used travellers cheques.

It's helpful to have a credit card to use for booking travel arrangements (airlines, hotels, etc) online and making online purchases.  Hubby has become quite the whiz at buying stuff on Lazada and has never abused the credit card I've given him, although one time I did get a notice via an SMS on my phone that he'd spent 3000 baht at Asia Books and immediately quizzed him about this when he got home because "the rule" is that we discuss purchases over 2000 bath with each other in advance.  Turns out he found a really good GED study guide at the bookstore and purchased it for some Burmese migrants he meets with regularly to help them prepare to take the GED exam.   Hard to argue with that.  

I must say, that in reading this thread, it seems that many of you men are in relationships with children.  I hope the sex is worth it.  Surely, it must be possible to teach someone money management skills that most of us had to learn as teenagers with our first jobs, with our parents (or maybe a caring boss) serving as tutors. 

Or is it possible that you want to remain in a relationship with an ignorant child because it gives you more control?

54 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I must say, that in reading this thread, it seems that many of you men are in relationships with children.  I hope the sex is worth it.  Surely, it must be possible to teach someone money management skills that most of us had to learn as teenagers with our first jobs, with our parents (or maybe a caring boss) serving as tutors. 

Or is it possible that you want to remain in a relationship with an ignorant child because it gives you more control?

Interesting comment Nancy! When you mentioned being "in control" it reminded me of something a woman said to me. I was dating two women at the time and She said to me that she was jealous of the other GF. I asked her why and she said because She (the other GF) had "control." Since we were talking about finances I said you mean control of the money? She said "No, I mean that She has control of You"! Having never thought of that, the statement took me by surprise! Interesting way a Girl Friends' mind works? So who really has control? Many times Men are controlled by the Women in our lives and just don't realize it?

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

M-e-e-o-o-w. I must say that's pretty up there in the catty comment department, Nancy. It's not like financial irresponsibility, misuse of credit cards, and compulsive shopping are unknown behaviors amongst Western women, now are they? Would you refer to those women as ignorant children as well? Suspect not, and imagine if you did, you would get quite a bit of blowback for having done so.

9 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

M-e-e-o-o-w. I must say that's pretty up there in the catty comment department, Nancy. It's not like financial irresponsibility, misuse of credit cards, and compulsive shopping are unknown behaviors amongst Western women, now are they? Would you refer to those women as ignorant children as well? Suspect not, and imagine if you did, you would get quite a bit of blowback for having done so.

You sound like the nail that got hit on the head...

On 3/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, NancyL said:

t's helpful to have a credit card to use for booking travel arrangements (airlines, hotels, etc) online and making online purchases.  Hubby has become quite the whiz at buying stuff on Lazada and has never abused the credit card I've given him,

Debit card works just as well, but you can only spend what you've got.

Archived