Pension And Widows

leeneeds

After my friend Peter died just recently in early March, I was helping his wife - widow, with her English paper works , regarding Peters pension,

I have found after phone conversation with the relevant authorities in the UK that as of April 2017 there is no widows pension for Peters spouse paid by the state, and no forth coming help with funeral expenses , luckily Peter worked at Merseyside for many years and has a pension with is entity so they will pay a widows pension,

I also have a Thai lady friend who's husband died in Pattaya a couple of years ago  who does get a monthly state widows pension, she was offered 3 million as a lump sum, or to take the widows pension up until her death, she took the monthly pension, she was also lucky to get 200,00o baht towards funeral expenses,

I just wanted to know from members,  1, if they have experienced this and 2,  are they aware of rule changes from the UK 

Yes, I am in exactly the same position. A few years back I was able to get the 2,000 quid for 2 guys widows, but alas mine won't get it or any widow's pension as you say. Fortunately, I have a good Civil Service Pension and recently requested confirmation from them regarding how much and conditions my widow will receive. They did respond and I quickly made 4 copies for her, the guy who will kindly take care of these matters and 2 on file.

Terrible for my missus after having everything explained to her 18 years ago how much she would get. She can't understand how a Government reneges on such agreements. I recently read  they are so broke that our (never to be increased) pensions are paid from the income tax they collected the previous month.

Never mind, almost 42 this morning but a far cry from the 70 of 20 years ago.

All uk state pensions are now NI contribution based, so no NI contributions then no pension, all the UK 'wife' benefits payable on spouse death have stopped,

likewise the married mans allowance for state pension was stopped, and anyone in receipt of a 'wife' addition to their state pension, which could be £60 ish, will stop in 2020 i assume April of that year.

2 hours ago, petetahkli said:

My wife receives a UK pension of 60 ish pounds a week can anyone confirm it will stop in 2020 Thank you

i was referring to married mans 'wife' allowance.

if your wife has a state pension in her own name it will not stop.

Archived