On Spearfishing

Manjinetsu

I've been living in Phuket for 8 months now and have gotten into spearfishing. I wanted to share some information as well as learn

from some of you regarding further information.

Shops:

Dive Collection- Located in Rawaii where I bought my first speargun. He sells rubbers, reels, fins, wetsuits, etc. Its owned by a Thai

woman and her husband who both speak lovely english. I find it to be a bit overpriced and they kind of push sells without being very informative

those who are new to spearfishing.

Unnamed Shop- Coordinates 7*52'55.7"N 98*23'28.7E

The shop is located on Phuket road between the intersections of Soi Talingchan and Ratsada Rd. Its stationed directly next to a Money Gram.

I love this shop. The owner is an elderly Thai man who has been spearfishing for over 40 years. He even keeps a photobook of him in his younger years with some of his prized catches. He took my modest speargun and educated me about it, showed me how to rig it, and added a few slight modifications. He sells everything you would want or need with a huge selection of guns to monofilaments to dive torches. 

Dive locations, for those of us who don't have boats or the money for liveaboards, we shore dive.

YaNui- This is a nice beach. At high tide the stones are nice and hidden and the fish come out. Usually I get a good 3-5 meters of visibility. Normally I'm hunting cuttlefish, red-striped grouper, or barracuda. The depth gets down to about 8-10 meters.

I'm still newish to this and I'm learning locations on my own. If anyone out there wants to organize getting a longtail or just wants a buddy to fish with, lets chat. Feel free to share shops, and fishing locations.

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I'm sure you know this, but, spear-fishing is only legal if you free-dive. You are NOT allowed to spear-fish if you use SCUBA.

And you're only allowed to catch fish over a certain size and certain species, parrot fish e.g. are forbidden now..

Anybody who thinks he can go out and spearfish will get caught out sooner or later.

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I'm sure you know this, but, spear-fishing is only legal if you free-dive. You are NOT allowed to spear-fish if you use SCUBA.

Thanks for the reminder. I do know this personally but it is a nice reminder for anyone who isn't aware of the laws here. Thanks! Further on this point, not only are you not allowed to spearfish with scuba gear but keep away from any national parks. A quick google search should help with finding where those are. 

5 minutes ago, Manjinetsu said:

Thanks for the reminder. I do know this personally but it is a nice reminder for anyone who isn't aware of the laws here. Thanks! Further on this point, not only are you not allowed to spearfish with scuba gear but keep away from any national parks. A quick google search should help with finding where those are. 

"keep away from any national parks." keep away from any national parks and marine reserves.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

And you're only allowed to catch fish over a certain size and certain species, parrot fish e.g. are forbidden now..

Anybody who thinks he can go out and spearfish will get caught out sooner or later.

Add triggerfish to that list of forbidden fish now. I don't think its a matter of getting caught out, many people are underinformed which is why I opened this topic. I want those who enjoy spearfishing to do it within the proper guidelines and to do it safely

17 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@Manjinetsu

Do you eat the fish? Is that the idea? 

I scuba dive and am more used to looking at things than killing them. However, if it's sustainable and you eat what you catch, I don't think there can be a big problem... 

can there? 

Go have a look at how many dead fish are in the market. Fish killed through spear-fishing is a tiny percentage of just those fish in one market.

If he doesn't eat it, so what? Something will eat it. Either way, the fish is dead.

I, too, don't particularly like the idea of spear-fishing, but, I can't see a logical, or moral argument against it, so, therefore I try to avoid imposing my view on others.

3 hours ago, Tapster said:

@Manjinetsu

Do you eat the fish? Is that the idea? 

I scuba dive and am more used to looking at things than killing them. However, if it's sustainable and you eat what you catch, I don't think there can be a big problem... 

can there? 

I respect scuba totally and I appreciate you asking my intent rather than just assuming. I spearfish as a sustainable way to catch dinner for my wife and I. Its challenging because I'm not tricking the fish with some lure, I see the fish and the fish sees me. Also, I don't take more than we can eat within two days. I'm just as likely to go to the beach and freedive just to look and identify the species and admire its beauty as I am to take my speargun and get dinner for my family, as long as what I'm doing isn't disrupting the overall environment, y'know? 

Edit: plus spearos don't leave nets, hooks, broken beer bottles, etc in the ocean unlike many shore fishermen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think spearfishing is, unfortunately, generally quite a misunderstood sport that has been given a bad name by the locals who once they get good, abuse their skills in a way that does result in unsustainable fishery. 

I wish to get to learn to know as many people who do spearfish to talk about it and educate those who don't understand this problem, in order to make spearfishing more publicly acceptable, have clear-set rules known to the local as well as the foreign spearos regarding species, quantity and size. 

Spearfishing in Thailand is a pretty delicate matter, in which if we all work together, talk about it and be educative about our passion we might one day actually have a positive effect on the ecosystem we thrive in.. 

Feel free to PM if you're likeminded. 

Archived