Dengue fever: Fears of epidemic as four times as many cases reported in Thailand

webfact

Dengue fever: Fears of epidemic as four times as many cases reported in Thailand

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Workpoint News

Hospitals nationwide have been ordered to set up emergency facilities to deal with a worrying rise in cases of dengue fever since the start of the year. 

In January there were four times as many cases of the disease as in the same month last year. 

The disease can be fatal in some cases. 

On Wednesday the Thai Public Health Ministry held a crisis meeting with health care professionals nationwide to discuss what to do amid fears that dengue figures could match the worst year in recent times, 2013, when there were 150,000 cases. 

2pm2.jpg

Picture: Workpoint News

Hardest hit this year according to a story on Workpoint News are provinces in the lower part of the north east principally Nakorn Ratchasima, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin and Sisaket. 

Measures to prevent the spread of the disease were discussed as well as crisis management for hospitals facing a rise in cases. Emergency centers are to be set up in all provinces and people are being urged to clear standing water where the mosquitoes breed. 

From January 1st to March 5th this year there were 9,044 cases with seven deaths. 

In January alone there were 5,555 cases which was four times the 2018 figure for the same month of 1,279.

Source: Workpoint News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-14

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people would clean up their environment eliminating standing water the burden of Dengue would be SIGNIFICANTLY  reduced.

The Aedes mosquito has a limited travel range and is essentially an urban insect - CLEAN UP! 

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

In January alone there were 5,555 cases which was four times the 2018 figure for the same month of 1,279.

Only when it's crisis time do Thais react.  My moobaan holds regular clean-up drills to eliminate standing water; puts down insecticide frequently; has published a pamphlet in Thai/English to educate owners.

6 hours ago, KarlS said:

If people would clean up their environment eliminating standing water the burden of Dengue would be SIGNIFICANTLY  reduced.

The Aedes mosquito has a limited travel range and is essentially an urban insect - CLEAN UP! 

Same as stray dogs, don't leave garbage they could eat. The reason: Thais don't care. There's no hope.

Just now, DrTuner said:

Same as stray dogs, don't leave garbage they could eat. The reason: Thais don't care. There's no hope.

Dengue is a problem across the whole of SE Asia so why do you selectively choose to bash Thai people? 

Just now, DrTuner said:

Suffer through it. Papaya leaf juice may help bringing up the platelet count quicker. 

A very dangerous assumption -  A falling platelet count results in deaths -- And despite what you might think Thai doctors are experts in treating the disease and reducing the death toll.

Your "advice" should be ignored. 

2 minutes ago, KarlS said:

A very dangerous assumption -  A falling platelet count results in deaths -- And despite what you might think Thai doctors are experts in treating the disease and reducing the death toll.

My wife had it last year. The Thai doctors in BKK Hospital took blood tests every few days and that was it for their "expertise".

But hey, advice away, ignore this too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3638585/

My friends wife got it few weeks ago in a village near Jomtien ,She was in a coma and now on a respirator. Apparently a nasty strain and city hall and hospital officials came up to the village and sprayed around all 12 homes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Overly negative post has been reported and removed as per forum rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

My wife had it last year. The Thai doctors in BKK Hospital took blood tests every few days and that was it for their "expertise".

But hey, advice away, ignore this too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3638585/

A poorly designed study which has not been cited in any of the mainstream iatrogenic medical/scientific journals. 

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Why did you bother with doctors?  FYI The doctors were monitoring the ladies blood profile -- Clearly, there was no need for any further intervention(s) 

11 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Why did you bother with doctors?  

Wanted to make sure it was dengue and not something else. She did try the juice but it's bitter as hell so opted just to wait it out. Took a week or so for the platelets to return to normal levels.

8 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Ok but you kept going back.  Why? 

I didn't, she did. Thais and doctors, waste of money and time.

SIL had it about five years ago and didn't bother going after the initial diagnosis. Same, lasted about a week.

2 hours ago, KarlS said:

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I have never previously seen evidence of the effectiveness of papaya leaf juice, but I can attest to it first hand.

5ml 3 times a day is what I had. Worked wonderfully.

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I didn't, she did. Thais and doctors, waste of money and time.

SIL had it about five years ago and didn't bother going after the initial diagnosis. Same, lasted about a week.

Thailand 24 Sep 2018.   71 Killed as Dengue Deaths Spike.  Ya why go?  Wait it out. What do doctors know anyway?

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand 24 Sep 2018.   71 Killed as Dengue Deaths Spike.  Ya why go?  Wait it out. What do doctors know anyway?

You go if you start experiencing bleeds or feeling unstable. They can't do anything for you anyway since there is no treatment.

Here's common sense for you:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dengue-fever-reference#2

Treatment for Dengue Fever

There is no specific medicine to treat dengue infection. If you think you may have dengue fever, you should use pain relievers with acetaminophen and avoid medicines with aspirin, which could worsen bleeding. You should also rest, drink plenty of fluids, and see your doctor. If you start to feel worse in the first 24 hours after your fever goes down, you should get to a hospital immediately to be checked for complications.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You go if you start experiencing bleeds or feeling unstable. They can't do anything for you anyway since there is no treatment.

Your ignorance is appalling -- There is treatment for heamorragic dengue. The Thai treatment protocol also accords with that recommended by the WHO. 

Archived