Income Method - are immigration moving the goal posts again

Some people were not lucky enough to have gold plated pensions so with deterating annuity rates invested elsewhere for a better return. Stating has to be from a regonised  pension fund is ludicrous and many won't be able to do that. 
Yes, immigration never seem to think things through, probably don't understand the issues
  • Like 2

I think the point is to see you do not cycle same money to thailand and back to your home country.
Maybe so but there are many legit ways farang can get the money to transfer over. No way immigration will be able to cope with the documentation to prove how its generated
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

The thing is, Income is a very subjective term as is really depends up each countries laws over what is considered income. For example, selling investments in many countries is considered income as the sale of an asset is considered a Taxable event. 

The problem is Thailand immigration are morons. The only way effective way to determine someone's income is a copy of their individual tax filing because lying on that has serious legal ramifications. Immigration would save so many headaches and wasted time if they just required every applicant for extension of stay to show their tax returns.

Yes this would simplify matters. I can't imagine any IO would have problems interpreting Yemeni or any of the couple of hundred countries different tax statements - esp those not in English. Certainly a lot easier than interpreting statements from a handful of Thai banks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is worrying too for me, I had planned to change next year to 65k pm, I am far away from pension age so the only other thing I could show them would be my investments and savings accounts, I suppose the worse that can happen is that I have to leave and start the process again if phuket ends up requiring pension income only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

On the other thread the op said that when Jomtien checked the 12 months of 65k they also asked for proof of income from farangland. This was discussed at length on other threads and all that was required was monthly 65k+ into a thai bank account. So, they seem to have changed the requirements again? certainly to what was discussed before.

Do we really want to take the risk of the IO saying its insufficient evidence, 12 months faffing about transferring monthly 65k+ and they reject it because the IO doesn't understand the documentation which they probably don't want to see anyway

Although not normally requested, Immigration have always had the option of requesting the source of the income. This is not new. Nothing has changed.

I suspect that with the reports of apparent widespread abuse of the use agents and income affidavits that led to the recent changes, I think Immigration will initially ask for proof of income source from many more extension applicants to try to prevent people from recycling the same 65k/40k every month.

54 minutes ago, trd said:

What tax return? I'm on a UK pension which is income but I haven't made a tax return for more than 20 years.

Your UK state pension is probably below the UK tax-free allowance. If you don't pay any tax your total UK income, from all sources, must be less than £11,800 pa. HMRC would normally hold a record of those (taxable) income sources.

Your UK state pension is probably below the UK tax-free allowance. If you don't pay any tax your total UK income, from all sources, must be less than £11,800 pa. HMRC would normally hold a record of those (taxable) income sources.

I'm not liable to pay tax on my UK pension which means I am not liable to pay tax in Thailand either. When I deposit money into a Thai savings account I am paid interest from which a deduction is automatically made for tax on that interest for Thai tax purposes. That is the sum total of my Thai tax liability.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do we really want to take the risk of the IO saying its insufficient evidence, 12 months faffing about transferring monthly 65k+ and they reject it because the IO doesn't understand the documentation which they probably don't want to see anyway

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head there. Are immigration officers sufficiently skilled enough to understand the documents being presented to them (probably in a foreign language) and how they relate to their own requirements. I would guess no, which is why the certified embassy letter was a god send. The county of origin did the approval for them. .

The IO probably need some significant upskilling so that the can understand the documents being presented to them which is a job requirement. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

But they won't understand the documents people can provide. They won't even look at back up for transferwise transfers. Immigration just can't cope with looking at various types of documents to prove income in farangland

But they can still ask to see that information and, if necessary, request those documents are verified by an official source, especially if they think it might be a forged document.

They don't need to look at TW documentation. It's up to us, the extension applicant, to provide acceptable proof of the source of the transfer, and Immigration requires that documentation comes from a Thai Bank source.

TW say they are in the process of adapting their online transfer request that will comply with the Immigration requirements so 'backup' information will not need to be shown anyway.

But you must have a P60 yes, shows your income and tax deducted.
irrelevant for most people.

"A P60 is a form that shows how much taxable salary the employee was paid in the tax year and how much tax was deducted from their wages. An employer must give aP60 to each of their employees at the end of the tax year"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trd said:

What tax return? I'm on a UK pension which is income but I haven't made a tax return for more than 20 years.

Ditto but you can get a P60 from UK Tax dept showing your total earnings  & taxation level.  This SHOULD be enough & straightforward for even the average Immigration officer to understand.  But this will be deemed insufficient.

Someone above mentioned having no alternative.  Wrong - I'm checking out Vietnam to see if they value my pensions more than Thailand.

• Like 1