British man released on bail in Thailand over theft of mobile phone

webfact

Mee Pee Mai:   

Don`t be a <deleted>, making such remarks!! Try to be logic,

and don`t post ridicule bla bla!  Who knows, some day it`s your turn,

and I won`t pity you for one minute, or the other one`s here that do not

have compassion to a fellow human.  Always whining and whining!!

Get a Life!!!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe some of the ignorant posts on this topic. According to the BBC the lad made an honest mistake, in thinking he could find out who the phone's owner was, if he took it back to his Hotel. Posts about his hairstyle are irrelevant, but do show the lack of intelligence of the majority of opinions on here.

Best post today,  Mr Muddle!  To many idiots posting here,

only yak, yak, endlessly, no matter what topic!

Have a beer on me! Cheers!

1 hour ago, geoff65 said:

Yep

"What are you supposed to do? leave it there and dont touch it?"

I know someone who has a bar (in his Thai girlfriend's name of course!) and he does not have a work permit. Theoretically, if he was seen so much as moving a bar stool he could be arrested! (The logic being that he is depriving a Thai of a job!)

So "Yup" is about right - if you handed it in to the police, you are in trouble for moving it from it's location = theft!

TIT - It has its good points and bad points - this falls into the latter category!

2 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Mee Pee Mai:   

Get a Life!!!

I have a great life and I never steal anything from anyone (so I won't "get a turn" as you suggested).

I have lots of compassion for my fellow human beings, I just don't have ANY compassion for a thief of this caliber.  

He can afford to come to Thailand for a vacation (so he's not poor).  If he was starving and had to steal to eat then I would have showed my compassion and I would have even given him a healthy sum of money to help him out.  I don't blame destitute people who live in the slums in 3rd world countries who sometimes have to steal to eat (steal food that is) but this scumbag got off too easy if you ask me.

...and by the way, who's the one doing the whining here?  Look in the mirror before you open your fly catcher.  

Taking without permission 1000 Baht

Failing to make an effort to return the phone 500 Baht

Concealing the said theft 1000

Planning to work as tattoo artist 2000 Baht

Dodgy looking hair 555 Baht

Contacting the British consulate whilst accused of a criminal offence ( otherwise known as stupidity) 200 Baht

Thinking the British consulate staff will assist ( otherwise known as gross stupidity) 2000 Baht

The inevitable upon arrest “ God damm it I am British,.... do you not know who I am” ( otherwise known as utter stupidity)  555 Baht

Taking the services of a Thai Lawyer, ( who is friends with the prosecution lawyer, judge, arresting officers, local police chief)  whatever you have left Baht and if not enough, they suggest you ask a friend to set up a go fund me page..... ENOUGH Baht

10 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

According to the BBC the lad made an honest mistake,

Good thieves always claim it was an honest mistake.

Have you ever lost one of your prized toys or possessions to a thief?  If so, then maybe you would not be so naive.

A foreigner is an easy target in such a place like Thailand. Those where the exact words a Thai lawyer told me. 

Possessions, investments etc... mean nothing, even if a farang is married with correct and legitimate documents, all can be taken away and so easily too. There are no guarantees here. People tend to forget that fact! 

I would never invest money here or buy a car, pick up, condo, land, home, expensive motorbike etc... If I cannot put it into my bag, I don't buy.
Your tinfoil hat as well? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The police (at least in the USA) are sometimes known to pull "stings" in high crime areas like airports, beach parks, public restrooms etc where they will place an item such as a wallet or cellphone etc... and conduct a stakeout (where they wait to see who "picks it up"). 

It is placed so that the person who picks it up has to walk past a uniformed police officer, security guard or a lost and found desk etc giving them ample opportunity to turn it in...  if he does not turn it in or call to report it found, he or she is arrested, and rightly so.

This is how thieves are caught sometimes in high crime areas.  

Ever see bait car?  If you "find" an unattended car with the keys in the ignition and get in and drive it off you are busted.  Most of the smart thieves try to explain it away as an honest mistake such as ...  "I was going to drive it to the nearest police station and turn it in .... or ....I was just going to drive it around until I found a police officer so I could keep it safe from being stolen etc...  I was going to look for the owner so I could give it back etc. etc. etc.

Sound familiar?  

This monkey had more than ample opportunity to turn it in or notify security or a police officer or airline employee etc...  he chose to pocket it and keep it.  Plain and simple.  He's a thief so stop trying to defend this "poor helpless victim of the inhumane Thai legal system."  RUBBISH!

Can't believe some of the ignorant posts on this topic. According to the BBC the lad made an honest mistake, in thinking he could find out who the phone's owner was, if he took it back to his Hotel. Posts about his hairstyle are irrelevant, but do show the lack of intelligence of the majority of opinions on here.
Well the BBC the left luvvie news,he found it did not take it straight to the counter,but took it home then went out.
A year ago my wife left her purse in a restaurant,realised 20 minutes later it was behind the counter it was handed in straight away.. he did not do that

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

50 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

thinking he could find out who the phone's owner was

It was not his job nor his responsibility to "find out" who the owner was. 

His first option (once he laid eyes on it), was to either just leave it there and notify an airport employee, pick it up and turn it in to the nearest airport employee or simply ignore it and keep walking. 

It was his obligation (after picking it up) to immediately hand it over to the nearest airport employee so that they (not him) could follow the proper airport procedure regarding found property.

What could be more simple?

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, why even touch it ?

So where does it stop?

If you see a ten baht coin on the ground and picked it up for example. 

Its not yours.

Technically it's theft.

If the above Thai law is used.

Same as the mobile phone that was picked up. 

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

So where does it stop?

Its not yours.

Technically it's theft.

Gotta watch that one too.  The kids will super glue a coin to the floor and watch the fools try to pick it up while they have a good laugh.  Best to keep walking .... nothing to see here!

1 hour ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Mee Pee Mai:   

Get a Life!!!

Rather refreshingly most of us don’t really care that some mysterious person in the internet ether does not wish to pity us.

No it will never be my turn to be locked up for stealing a phone ( and having a truly dreadful hair style - hair cut here 60baht ) 

Am very interested in your style of prose - is it designed to a poem of sorts.

He stole  the phone - or perhaps allegedly his brain was a little addled through substance abuse that he did realise that Thailand is not the friendly planet Zog 

in the latest TV blog a Thai fisherman found a phone and returned it to an American was he charged with theft for removing the phone. NO NO NO it stinks,

2 minutes ago, jewell49 said:

in the latest TV blog a Thai fisherman found a phone and returned it to an American was he charged with theft for removing the phone. NO NO NO it stinks,

Are you really that ignorant??  REALLY???

See post # 108

Yep. There must have been someone he could have handed it over to at the airport: an airline check-in agent or a security guard- one with other people around.

If the ‘finder’ or any poster here wants to suggest there are no trustworthy Thais working at the airport then you have some serious issues and I’d ask why he or you are even in this country??? 

T

34 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

So where does it stop?

Its not yours.

Technically it's theft.

The problem isn’t that he picked up the phone, it’s where he put it down. 

Well, at least we all know what to do if we come across a mobile here in Thailand - a) If you are a Thai, pick it up regardless, you might even get a reward.

b) Pick it up if you are a foreigner or tourist and you may forfeit your reward and end up in jail accused of theft.

option c:) just stamp on it!

Archived