British man released on bail in Thailand over theft of mobile phone

webfact

1 minute ago, Formaleins said:

Well, at least we all know what to do if we come across a mobile here in Thailand - a) If you are a Thai, pick it up regardless, you might even get a reward.

b) Pick it up if you are a foreigner or tourist and you may forfeit your reward and end up in jail accused of theft.

option c:) just stamp on it!

D:) Just leave it alone

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a big difference between finding a phone in the middle of the ocean vs finding one in an airport.  In the airport case, the owner was probably nearby and could have possibly been paged over the intercom and the phone promptly returned.

The fisherman obviously didn't take out the SIM card or avoid answering the phone (as if to evade the owner).  He found it floating out in the ocean and obviously could have just kept it ....but he answered the call and promptly returned it. 

He could have turned it in to the police station (yes) but regardless, he returned it to the owner promptly just before the owner was about to board the flight out which worked out best for the rightful owner.

And I don't believe there are security guards, airport police, airport and airlines employees, a lost and found or a PA system in the middle of the ocean.

58 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Gotta watch that one too.  The kids will super glue a coin to the floor and watch the fools try to pick it up while they have a good laugh.  Best to keep walking .... nothing to see here!

Keith Moon use to glue luggage to the floor at the airport for a good chuckle.????

8 hours ago, toenail said:

This article scares me...I can see myself doing the same thing- innocently picking up the phone and giving it to the police the next day since it was night time. I am sure the lad had his own phone and didn’t another one - or need cash from a pawn shop. 

In Tokyo airport, I found someone’s cell phone in the toilet stall ( on top of the tp dispenser. I gave it to the security guard without thinking I’d be in trouble for carrying it...but this was Japan. 

Sorry, but easy...its not yours. Leave it where it is, you are in a foreign country!  The interpretation of theft is different, and doing the right thing by handing it in might cost you.

10 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

If this person was Thai, this would have never happened.  Seems like they are targetting foreigners more and more lately.

Pick up something not yours, don't hand it to police, go somewhere else with it. That's theft anywhere, even lawless UK. Wake up.

8 minutes ago, kaino said:

So what if he did keep something he found on the floor.. no big issue.. countrys a joke

You mean ...

"Finder's keeper's - Loser's weeper's"?

We are not in kindergarten anymore.  We are supposed to be adults and act like such.

8 hours ago, toenail said:

This article scares me...I can see myself doing the same thing- innocently picking up the phone and giving it to the police the next day since it was night time. I am sure the lad had his own phone and didn’t another one - or need cash from a pawn shop. 

In Tokyo airport, I found someone’s cell phone in the toilet stall ( on top of the tp dispenser. I gave it to the security guard without thinking I’d be in trouble for carrying it...but this was Japan. 

Everything about Thailand's government/bureaucracy is just plain eat up with dumb. It is pathetically embarrassing. ????

He ought to start with a damned haircut.  Yeah, everybody has rights, but if you look like a donkey, you'll get treated like one.  Everybody has a choice.  Thailand has a fairly liberal society compared to some, but this guy's look is the look of a thief in Thailand.  When in Rome . . .

6 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

He ought to start with a damned haircut.  Yeah, everybody has rights, but if you look like a donkey, you'll get treated like one. 

I've seen MUCH better looking donkeys before!  You sir, are much too kind.

Sorry, but between his looks, his occupation, and the hordes of completely lowlife, degenerate foreign drudges and layabouts I've met in Thailand, lurking about for cheap underage sex with impoverished hill tribe girls and low rent, I'm pretty sure he's as guilty as sin.

Mr Dodd was arrested after police had seen him on CCTV picking it up.

I wonder how many times this has happened.  Police plant the phone as the plane arrives and then go watch the monitor until someone picks it up.  They then follow the person and threaten to throw them in jail, dropping subtle hints that a bit of cash will help solve the problem there and then. This guy obviously didn't take the hint or didn't want to pay the bribe so they made good on their threat to throw him in jail.

32 minutes ago, Dolmance said:

Sorry, but between his looks, his occupation, and the hordes of completely lowlife, degenerate foreign drudges and layabouts I've met in Thailand, lurking about for cheap underage sex with impoverished hill tribe girls and low rent, I'm pretty sure he's as guilty as sin.

Many of those foreigners promise to marry those girls and get them a better life, but after they get what they are looking for, they just vanish and leave those poor girls in worse situations. 

9 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

When you read the whole story,he picks up phone in airport ,lots of places to hand it in ,but no he goes back to hotel ,then goes out ,comes back,gets arrested ,stealing by finding.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wonder if, when he got back to his hotel, he started thinking that maybe airport cameras caught him taking the phone (face recognition these days) and so he'd better give it back . . ?

12 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

If this person was Thai, this would have never happened.  Seems like they are targetting foreigners more and more lately.

He is a thief that stole something in a foreign country. Tattoo DA on his forehead and on Tatoo biased on your forehead. ????

On 3/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, worgeordie said:

Well murders (Thai) get released on bail,so why not a Farang

that allegedly stole a phone.

regards worgeordie

Stupid comment and comparison. You support stealing because he is not Thai?  

A few years ago on the outskirts of Pattaya watching a hot air ballon festival the wife of a friend of mine lost her phone there she noticed when she arrived home, so they rang the number of her phone and a Thai person answered it, to cut a long story short the Thai person said yes they found the phone and would wait for my friend with his wife to come back to the festival but he would only give them back her SIM card not the phone he would keep that seeing he found it.

Another story me and a friend of mine went to a department store near Leam Chabang on motorbikes.

My friend forgot his keys on the bike when we returned to the parking area we asked the security guard and he had the keys in his pocket but would not give them back to my friend unless he left him a good tip.  To give a tip to the security guard is correct but for a security guard to insist on a good tip is not correct at all.

THAI MENTALITY IS UNBELIEVABLE 

On 3/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, worgeordie said:

Well murders (Thai) get released on bail,so why not a Farang

that allegedly stole a phone.

regards worgeordie

He did not steal it he found it a big difference that always only goes against farlangs here and not Thais, not a surprise tourism is going down the drain in Thailand 

16 minutes ago, Hooliganzone said:

He did not steal it he found it a big difference that always only goes against farlangs here and not Thais, not a surprise tourism is going down the drain in Thailand 

You cannot "find" things , if you take something that isnt yours , you are stealing said item .

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You cannot "find" things , if you take something that isnt yours , you are stealing said item .

Sorry I do not agree.

Stealing and finding are a big difference, stealing is with intent to do so. Finding something has no intent to do so.

Archived