Same money, less paperwork. Belize retirement program

I happened across this yesterday, and thought it might interest people that are over the processes and changes here in Thailand.

The Belize Qualified Retirement Program.

The crux of it:

45 or older.

Income of USD $2000 pm / $24000 pa.

Must remain in Belize for a minimum of 30 days pa.

No HIV.

Application fees $1350

Annual fee $25

http://www.belizetourismboard.org/programs-events/retirement-program/#1490201888210-0357f09a-6e91

I spent a couple of weeks in Belize in 2016, so cant answer questions about living there, or about the retirement program, or anything else really.

I am not posting this to attract naysayers or those that find fault in everything posted on TVF. It's just a FYI.

1 hour ago, DonDoRondo said:

OP - thanks for the info.  I've been wondering about Belize myself as I'm planning on clearing out of CM later this year.  You said you've been there - one of the draws is that supposedly English is widely spoken there. Is this correct?  Also, any thoughts about the city you stayed at?

My experience was a bit like the Philippines. Some people speak English, some have a bit of a grip. Most places you would go it would not be an issue. It wasnt for me.

I was in Belize City, San Ignacio, Caulker Cay and another cay that eludes me now.

Belize City isnt somewhere I would live. Most expats gravitate to the cays, with Ambergris being the favourite.

Could I spend a month there each year? Sure. 

I see the program as a good thing to have up the sleeve. Application fees are a little steep but $25 a year after is a sweet deal.

Archived