converting an international license in thailand?

Doronazl

if i have a license from back home + international license i got from back home, i hear its possible to convert ?

what is a conversion exaclty ? does it mean i dont need to take the exams?

if so, would the license i get has the same "worth" of a newly made one from scratch?

Yrs you can "convert" the licence...you need a "medical certificate" from any clinic tell them its for drivers licence...then you need a "residence certificate" from immigration then you go to your local Department if Land Transportation and do some eyesight and reaction tests...they will give you an equivalent of your home licence...so if you have car and motorcycle entitlements you would get 2 Thai licences one for car one for motorcycle...first time are "provisional licences valid for 2 years.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Yrs you can "convert" the licence...you need a "medical certificate" from any clinic tell them its for drivers licence...then you need a "residence certificate" from immigration then you go to your local Department if Land Transportation and do some eyesight and reaction tests...they will give you an equivalent of your home licence...so if you have car and motorcycle entitlements you would get 2 Thai licences one for car one for motorcycle...first time are "provisional licences valid for 2 years.

thank you, how about the 3-4 hours video , do i need to watch that too ? or can i skip it  since im just converting?

First up, you cannot convert an international licence, because there is no such thing. What you hold is an international driving permit (IDP), which has no value without a valid national licence.

However you can obtain (not convert take note) a Thai national licence using your national licence as evidence of driving ability.

You will not have to take a driving test. But you do have to pass a simple braking reaction test and a visual check using traffic light colours.

There are plenty of websites around that explain the process. Here's one for starters. (I have not checked it for accuracy.)

https://iglu.net/how-to-get-a-thai-driving-license/

thank you, how about the 3-4 hours video , do i need to watch that too ? or can i skip it  since im just converting?
They might make you watch a video...or not ...depending on the alignment of stars and planets that particular day.

Just now, johng said:
3 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

They might make you watch a video...or not ...depending on the alignment of stars and planets that particular day.

lol , not a sure thing ?

2 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

how about the 3-4 hours video , do i need to watch that too ? or can i skip it  since im just converting?

Nope they don't do your photo and give DL until the vid is finished in my experience. 

You have a IDP with your home DL a proof permit not a licence. 

8 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

you are not converting. you are applying for a Thai drivers license. Where do you live in Thailand?

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Nope they don't do your photo and give DL until the vid is finished in my experience. 

You have a IDP with your home DL a proof permit not a licence. 

ugh...

and how about using one of those agents who do this process for you , anyone have experience with that ?

would like to save myself some time if possible.

1 minute ago, Doronazl said:

ugh...

and how about using one of those agents who do this process for you , anyone have experience with that ?

You have to spend time and more money with agent I would rather continue doing DL renewal myself at DLT to make sure it not bogus.

I just take my mobile past vidtime on that vids are usually only an hour.

40 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

if i have a license from back home + international license i got from back home, i hear its possible to convert ?

Where is "home"?

For the IDP (or however called in your country) there are different versions depending on international conventions.

Many (or all?) Thai transport offices (DLT) insist on an IDP based on 1949 convention.

With such an IDP and national license it should be possible to obtain Thai DL without theory and practical test (only physical test and maybe watching video).

8 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

ugh...

There are levels of agents, some will just accompany you and make the process easier, some of the schools are authorised so you can do the reflex/eyesight tests then go to the DLT to get the license, or the complete bogus pay money and get a license without even attending.

Dont forget , different DLT offices can have varying requirements.

26 minutes ago, johng said:
29 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

or if they got layed the night before or not, don't forget to check the moon as well

34 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

The video is only an hour! take your phone and look at it while the video is playing - same as everybody else! 

Hopefully not hijacking the topic, but how would you proceed to reactivate a 2yr DL obtained 20 years ago and allowed to lapse since?

ADD Passport number changed, address changed, IDL out of date if not lost.
You would need to do the whole kaboodle again...unless you have a foreign licence to "convert"...
upto 1 year expired ..just the normal eye sight and reaction tests ,after a year I believe they make you do the theory bit again..after x years (can't remember exactly how many but less than 20 )
Do the whole lot from scratch.

Just now, johng said:

You would need to do the whole kaboodle again...unless you have a foreign licence to "convert"...
upto 1 year expired ..just the normal eye sight and reaction tests ,after a year I believe they make you do the theory bit again..after x years (can't remember exactly how many but less than 20 )
Do the whole lot from scratch.

Have UK DL - would I need the IDL as well?

Have UK DL - would I need the IDL as well?
They didn't require one from me..if you have a plastic licence ( not old style paper) with photo and its written in English the IDP is redundant anyway as its just a translation of your license into various languages none of which are Thai.

55 minutes ago, Doronazl said:

ugh...

how will that save time? anyway good luck. and Op, when you ask questions, you should respond with answers to the people who are trying to help. not just going with the things you want to hear.

Just now, giddyup said:

A current UK DL on old style paper?

It is valid until whenever I am 70 or whatever - unless they have changed that too. Note: I left in '95 and have not been back for more than 2 weeks so not motivated to update things like DL.

Just now, giddyup said:

Doubt if Transport will accept a UK DL that doesn't have a photo.

Hmmm - as I understand it you deactivate a license when you leave now and it can only be reactivated if you are back to being resident in UK.

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Hmmm - as I understand it you deactivate a license when you leave now and it can only be reactivated if you are back to being resident in UK.

I thought you were asking about renewing a Thai licence, not a UK licence. After all, that's what the post is about. Be better asking your UK question on the Home Country Forum.

Just now, giddyup said:

I thought you were asking about renewing a Thai licence, not a UK licence. After all, that's what the post is about. Be better asking your UK question on the Home Country Forum.

No renewing a Thai DL is what I was asking about ,but the above described situation with new style UK DL and activation might be a new hurdle to Thai DL renewal/reobtainment

Old style paper :-(
Well you're probably out of luck.

You could try getting a plastic one from DVLA online if you still have a UK address..one "problem" though is paper is for life (never expires) the plastic ones have to be renewed every 10 years... once you go plastic you can never go back
(another money making scheme)

1 minute ago, johng said:

You could try getting a plastic one from DVLA online if you still have a UK address..one "problem" though is paper is for life (never expires) the plastic ones have to be renewed every 10 years... once you go plastic you can never go back

Did the UK issue lifetime drivers licences?

Just now, johng said:

Ha! another complication, the UK address I use now is not the one on UK DL so presumably I should have notified them of that at the time.

Archived