Thailand's first High Speed train: station designs point to the future

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, bluesofa said:

To be more accurate: Daily News gave no indication if building work would begin.

Lines are already being built, drove to Korat and see the progression of the new motorway and room for the tracks and at the Don Muang station I can see the track foundations and concretes. Same for the tracks just outside Bangkok, in province Pathum Tani, parallel with the normal tracks and the Skytrain tracks.

36883.jpg

36885.jpg

5 minutes ago, donim said:

Lines are already being built, drove to Korat and see the progression of the new motorway and room for the tracks and at the Don Muang station I can see the track foundations and concretes. Same for the tracks just outside Bangkok, in province Pathum Tani, parallel with the normal tracks and the Skytrain tracks.

36883.jpg

36885.jpg

That's interesting.

Firstly I have no knowledge about structural engineering, but as this is going to be a goods line (the latest change) is that sufficient to carry what I would have thought would be the hundreds of tons required?

Didn't I read a couple of months back where the route is still 'being finalised'?

Was it Korat/Khon Kaen somewhere the route was being altered to some degree? Not certain if they had started landscaping it beforehand though.

3 minutes ago, tartempion said:

A six station 253 km long high speed train, I wonder how many hours the full ride will take?

the approximatif 300 km zéro stops Paris Nord-Brussels midi Thalys high speed train needs 1h32.

What's with the interest in the speed? I was under the impression that Plan D was for it to be only a freight service?

When the passenger ticket prices were published, that was before it went to freight only. Or has it changed again?

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting.

Firstly I have no knowledge about structural engineering, but as this is going to be a goods line (the latest change) is that sufficient to carry what I would have thought would be the hundreds of tons required?

Didn't I read a couple of months back where the route is still 'being finalised'?

Was it Korat/Khon Kaen somewhere the route was being altered to some degree? Not certain if they had started landscaping it beforehand though.

Not sure how exactly the tracks over the mountains would be laid, but I don't think all the way elevated. And where they need to do that, it has a straight vertical concrete.

The picture I was showing was the new elevated motorway and the normal road, which was replaced, thus making space for tracks.

I do remember driving years ago to Korat, and the difference is that now I can see the lake (yolasid dam), which before was hardly seen when inbound driving back to Bangkok.

I did see some reshaping on the land where the old motorway was, and foundation concrete for a track.
It is not all the way parallel to the motorway, but on the mountains some sections meet.

38 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What's with the interest in the speed? I was under the impression that Plan D was for it to be only a freight service?

When the passenger ticket prices were published, that was before it went to freight only. Or has it changed again?

It was also not clear for me years ago, but now I know that all these lines are different groups and splitted contracts.

Maybe the plan D and freight was for another line, still planned or abadoned I cannot say.

There has been an plan for a skytrain along the vibavadi road, the concrete foundations are built and then suddenly the whole plan halted.  Some stories about corruptism or licensing, also not sure about that but these concrete are still there and the new line is built just next to it, ignoring those un-built foundations.

From a wiki source about Highspeed lines the following data tells me that there are different lines and constructors.

Proposed high-speed routes

High-Speed Corridor Route Speed (km/h) Length (km) Network Cost (USD) Projected Operation Status
Northern HSR Phase 1 BangkokAyutthayaPhitsanulok[5] 300+ 384 Japan 8.67 billion 2025 (Forecast) Planned
Northern HSR Phase 2 Phitsanulok–SukhothaiLampangChiang Mai[5] 300+ 285 Japan 13 billion 2027-2030 Planning stage
Northeastern HSR Phase 1 Bangkok–Ayutthaya–SaraburiNakhon Ratchasima 250 250 China 821 million 2021 Under Construction
Northeastern HSR Phase 2 Nakhon Ratchasima–Khon KaenUdon ThaniNong KhaiVientiane 250 380 China 1.25 billion 2025 Planned
Southern HSR Bangkok–Nakhon PathomRatchaburiPhetchaburiHua Hin (-Hat Yai-Padang Besar) 250 211 PPP Net Cost   2022 EIA, Proposed (Hua Hin-Padang Besar)
Eastern HSR[6] Don Mueang, Bang Sue, Makkasan, Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Si Racha, Pattaya, U-Tapao, (Rayong). 250 rural; 160 urban 260 PPP Net Cost 6.595 billion 2024 (Forecast) Bidding[7]

The line I see constructed here and on the mountain near Korat is the Northeastern HSR phase 1.

Rgds,

PS. What I see now is : The leveled rail road in Don Muang is an extension of the Airport Rail link, which will connect to the Phaya Tai station (and then continue to Suvarnabhum)

And there is a fasttrack and extension built to Rangsit that elevated line goes to 'Muang Ek' station in Pathum Thani (Rangsit), and the parallel fast track elevated line goes to ground floor just before that . Now they are laying the track and electric lines.
The Red line is long with Ban Pachi junction (northern Rangsit) as start/end station and the other start/end station at Pak Tho (Samut Sakon)

16 minutes ago, donim said:

It was also not clear for me years ago, but now I know that all these lines are different groups and splitted contracts.

Maybe the plan D and freight was for another line, still planned or abadoned I cannot say.

There has been an plan for a skytrain along the vibavadi road, the concrete foundations are built and then suddenly the whole plan halted.  Some stories about corruptism or licensing, also not sure about that but these concrete are still there and the new line is built just next to it, ignoring those un-built foundations.

From a wiki source about Highspeed lines the following data tells me that there are different lines and constructors.

Proposed high-speed routes

High-Speed Corridor Route Speed (km/h) Length (km) Network Cost (USD) Projected Operation Status
Northern HSR Phase 1 BangkokAyutthayaPhitsanulok[5] 300+ 384 Japan 8.67 billion 2025 (Forecast) Planned
Northern HSR Phase 2 Phitsanulok–SukhothaiLampangChiang Mai[5] 300+ 285 Japan 13 billion 2027-2030 Planning stage
Northeastern HSR Phase 1 Bangkok–Ayutthaya–SaraburiNakhon Ratchasima 250 250 China 821 million 2021 Under Construction
Northeastern HSR Phase 2 Nakhon Ratchasima–Khon KaenUdon ThaniNong KhaiVientiane 250 380 China 1.25 billion 2025 Planned
Southern HSR Bangkok–Nakhon PathomRatchaburiPhetchaburiHua Hin (-Hat Yai-Padang Besar) 250 211 PPP Net Cost   2022 EIA, Proposed (Hua Hin-Padang Besar)
Eastern HSR[6] Don Mueang, Bang Sue, Makkasan, Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Si Racha, Pattaya, U-Tapao, (Rayong). 250 rural; 160 urban 260 PPP Net Cost 6.595 billion 2024 (Forecast) Bidding[7]

The line I see constructed here and on the mountain near Korat is the Northeastern HSR phase 1.

Rgds,

Yes, I've seen the wiki page before.

That Northeastern Phase 1 still makes me laugh - does anyone seriously think it will be completed in two years?

'Plan D' was a phrase I came up with, only because every few months while it was still in the news, the details of it kept changing.

IIRC 'freight only' was the last option - 'Plan D'.

I know I sound very cynical about it, but going on what's happened so far, Prayut had his photo-opportunity in December 2017 starting the track-laying, but it's gone very quiet since then.

We've still got a long way to go before it gets to Plan W - whatever that might be.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1016957-construction-bids-for-high-speed-train-project-in-coordination-with-china-to-be-completed-in-2018/

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I know I sound very cynical about it, but going on what's happened so far,

That is okay.

And history has proven, for example the high speed airport rail link between Makkasan and Suvarnabhum. (non stop link) Status: Halted and Abandoned, and the station is now used for housing the ARL company. And the big arrival/departure hall sometime used for events.

The line, and the high speed train, is now operated as an normal city rail link. Stopping on each station, between Suvarnabhum and Phaya Tai.

At Makkasan you still can see the rails between the two other rails.

One good reason to be cynical.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

I am sure that I recently read in the Bangkok Post that rolling stock was to be built in Thailand, Isaan specifically, to supply all high speed projects.

There were some problems with suppliers, and with the air pollution in the west of them they were the culprit.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, notagain said:

Because the japanese canceled their participation in the bkk-chaing mai rail due the unrealistic passenger numbers generated by the thais. Their own study showed there was no way for it to be feasible to build. They dont even want to loan the money as they know they will never get it back no matter what the rate.

Bangkok Nongkai is also unrealistic passenger, China decide what is the best for her export, Thailand not have voice on this decision

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting.

This not for high speed train for sure

On 3/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, notagain said:

Because the japanese canceled their participation in the bkk-chaing mai rail due the unrealistic passenger numbers generated by the thais. Their own study showed there was no way for it to be feasible to build. They dont even want to loan the money as they know they will never get it back no matter what the rate.

And if anyone has a long history of building impossible rail lines in Thailand, it has to be Japan!  They could have done this one without constantly being bombed. 

On 3/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, BobbyL said:

I saw the local train passing through Makkasan the other day. Hordes or bikes and people racing to get across the tracks, people hanging on the side of the train etc. If they can't safely run something like this I have no idea how they have the ability to manage high speed rail. 

I beleive the entire length is elevated. Not an issue for pedestrians. 

14 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I bet it's progressed about 24/25mm in the past two months

<end of cynical mode>

Rather generous there 'Sof .. 

Well, need to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Dave67 is the man with inside knowledge, but even he's pulling his hair out over it.

18 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Bangkok Nongkai is also unrealistic passenger, China decide what is the best for her export, Thailand not have voice on this decision

Last time Japan built a railroad in Thailand>>>>>?? What was the result??

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, Orton Rd said:

Anything faster than today's service would be high speed. Came back from Ubon on the train last year 12 hours of torture, window would not close at all, carriage looked like it was from the 1940's and the doors were tied back open to the track. Stopped at every station where vendors got on then off selling the same stuff as at the last station, this was the express service!

Bet the toilet was out of order as well, that's what I found.

Archived