Carnage continues on Thai roads: 3,175 reported dead at the scene since the start of 2019

webfact

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Totally different thing altogether - you follow the traffic conditions of your lane if they are indicated as going in different directions for example - that is not undertaking.

If you want to move to the left in those circumstances you have to wait until it is safe to do so - if everyone on your left is booting it at 150mph you’ll just have to wait! 

Not when someone leaves the lane behind you, then rockets forward down your left side, then swings their car up against the side of yours trying to squeeze back into the lane. Best one is the motorcycles that do this, there is barely enough room for me to stop, so a motorcycle cuts in (usually without a blinker) leaving no room.....moronic at best, but I call it suicidal.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Basic driving skills and understanding the road rules needs to be drilled into the drivers here. Things like texting, safely turning into traffic, staying in marked lanes, giving way to the right and just being aware of what's happening on the road ahead don't seem to be part of the Thai skill set.

In Australia years ago we had ads on TV teaching how to be a good driver covering many aspects of road behavior... they should try that here

TV ads repeated over and over do sink in, Thais love watching TV so go for it.

Good luck on that one, I especially like the guys who come off the off-ramps into traffic, rather than staying in the lane they come into, then blinkering and moving over.....what do they do? Either stop completely and wait to cross four lanes of traffic perpendicularly, or rocket out across all four lanes without a blinker in the hopes they won't get hit, and will make into the fast lane. Not only do they not know how to drive, they are inherently dangerous, I assume its a DNA issue, so the sooner we get rid of the inbred Thai's, the better. 

5 hours ago, LOSBound2014 said:

The difference is, when you make an lane change without signalling in the US or Canada, you are more likely to hit an SUV, then some poor sucker on his 125cc Honda Click.  The SUV gets a dent, while the driver on the Click gets face-planted into a concrete power pole.  

Shhhh! Its only Darwin working his magic, eventually natural selection will work this out.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

You said you were driving in the fast lane on the speed limit. That means others are behind you. Yes, driving too fast, but that is not up to you. What is up to you is to move to the left where you're supposed to be so they can pass you they easy and safe way, on the right.

You're spreading incorrect information. 2 lanes each direction means undertaking is legal.

No..You are Wrong. 

Read again, then again. 

I added that i was not adverse to using the fast lane at maximum permitted speed limit when possible. 

And we all know the road surface is better.

The trucks don't break it up as much. 

MY whole response was based around using the left lane and being overtaken by bikes on my left hand side.

As shown in the video. 

I have read several times the interpretations of the Thailand road laws.

This undertaking that keeps being mentioned. Is this a new take or word for being overtaken but on the left hand side?

As i have also said, TVF has had several other threads that mention this topic. 

I admit that the interpretation is hard to grasp. Even harder for some. 

Google it. Overtaking in Thailand. 

It will bring the links to previous TVF threads as already said.

One member failed the test because the officer said multi lanes was 3, not two as can be read.

It certainly does say that overtaking is permitted in the left lane if you were in the right or high speed lane.

But nothing i was commenting about suggested i was in the high speed lane. 

20190315_224147.jpg

20190315_224722.jpg

7 hours ago, dallen52 said:

No..You are Wrong. 

Read again, then again. 

I added that i was not adverse to using the fast lane at maximum permitted speed limit when possible. 

And we all know the road surface is better.

The trucks don't break it up as much. 

MY whole response was based around using the left lane and being overtaken by bikes on my left hand side.

As shown in the video. 

I have read several times the interpretations of the Thailand road laws.

This undertaking that keeps being mentioned. Is this a new take or word for being overtaken but on the left hand side?

As i have also said, TVF has had several other threads that mention this topic. 

I admit that the interpretation is hard to grasp. Even harder for some. 

Google it. Overtaking in Thailand. 

It will bring the links to previous TVF threads as already said.

One member failed the test because the officer said multi lanes was 3, not two as can be read.

It certainly does say that overtaking is permitted in the left lane if you were in the right or high speed lane.

But nothing i was commenting about suggested i was in the high speed lane. 

20190315_224147.jpg

20190315_224722.jpg

See your link, 2 or more traffic lanes.

Stop spreading misinformation, and your twisting and turning doesn't help you as well.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

See your link, 2 or more traffic lanes.

Stop spreading misinformation, and your twisting and turning doesn't help you as well.

I simply reiterated what had been published before. 

And in TVF. Rightly or wrongly. 

NO dispute about if its two lanes, and you are in the right lane, and yes you can be overtaken on the left hand side. 

I was actually overtaken on the right hand side the other day, driving from Sa Kaeo.

I was in the right or fast lane with several other people admittedly doing 115.

And a Dmax with 4 people in the back made his own lane and overtook us all.

But that's another story. 

And hey, he got away with it, so mai bpen rai.

Undertaking... nice word..

I must remember that when everyone is passing me on the hard shoulder or pavement. 

And I'm driving in the left lane, as was the original subject I commented on.

Before you started your own drivel about I must be in the fast lane and holding people up..

So, Instead of me saying "just look at those brainless idiot's passing me on the hard shoulder", I can now think to myself,

Ooh, I've just been undertaken again"

Please, no more time wasting waffling:)

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, Youlike said:

In that case they should hire foreign experts to train the Thai police....how many people have to die first? Soon the rest of the world will watch these video's and think the Thai must be lacking braincells.

Oh but they do invite foreign police personnel to train the Thai police. I know that for a fact.

But we all know that the only benefit related to such initiatives is to provide holidays in Thailand at the expense of foreign taxpayers...

On 3/14/2019 at 5:22 AM, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

It can't be fixed.  All it takes is a drive anywhere in Thailand and you'll see the most idiotic driving time after time.  It won't change no matter what the government says, no matter what they show on TV.

'It can't be fixed' - I don't agree with you on that, it certainly CAN be fixed.

'It won't change' - there I completely agree with you.

19 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Nothing new about this word.  In the UK, where we drive on the same side of the road as Thailand its a commonly used word.

Passing on the right = overtaking. Normally perfectly legal (in the UK)

Passing on the left = undertaking. Illegal in most circumstances (in the UK) but permitted when traffic in the right lane is turning right, in queues where all lanes are slow moving and certain other but very limited circumstances.

As far as I know, in general, undertaking is not allowed in most countries that drive on the left (and vice versa for those that drive on the right).  Its a ridiculous and dangerous practice.  I had often wondered if its legal in Thailand and from what you post - it seems it is (where there are 2+ lanes) - crazy!

On a UK motorway for example, you can overtake and pull back in, safe in the knowledge that nobody is going to be 'undertaking' at the same time - resulting in you both pulling into the same lane at the same time.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, dallen52 said:

I simply reiterated what had been published before. 

And in TVF. Rightly or wrongly. 

NO dispute about if its two lanes, and you are in the right lane, and yes you can be overtaken on the left hand side. 

I was actually overtaken on the right hand side the other day, driving from Sa Kaeo.

I was in the right or fast lane with several other people admittedly doing 115.

And a Dmax with 4 people in the back made his own lane and overtook us all.

But that's another story. 

And hey, he got away with it, so mai bpen rai.

Undertaking... nice word..

I must remember that when everyone is passing me on the hard shoulder or pavement. 

And I'm driving in the left lane, as was the original subject I commented on.

Before you started your own drivel about I must be in the fast lane and holding people up..

So, Instead of me saying "just look at those brainless idiot's passing me on the hard shoulder", I can now think to myself,

Ooh, I've just been undertaken again"

Please, no more time wasting waffling:)

Time wasting waffling ????

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Time wasting waffling ????

You're back again!!!

No wonder your review numbers over 14,000 +

Its constant drivel like you keep putting out and the sad faces, that discourages newer members like me, trying to actively contribute. 

I said no more.

Go and find your next target...

• 6 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:32 PM, dallen52 said:

You're back again!!!

No wonder your review numbers over 14,000 +

Its constant drivel like you keep putting out and the sad faces, that discourages newer members like me, trying to actively contribute. 

I said no more.

Go and find your next target...

Fair dinkum ey ! i'm off for a beer, dry as a dead dingos donga ???? 

On 3/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, schondie said:

I'm quite surprised at this low figure as I usually see people riding on the wrong side of the super highway, running red lights quite long after they have changed and turning onto busy roads without a care in the world, riding at night with no lights and the list goes on and on and on.

You cannot fix stupid!

On 3/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, Justgrazing said:

Its becoming hard not to arrive at the conclusion that these people are not best suited to driving motor vehicles .. They should return to olde times and just ride Buffalo's around for the sake of self preservation of future gen's if nothing else the way they are going here .. 

Spot on , years ago they came back full of laokao sitting on the buffalo cart , the buffaloes meet on a bend and passed each other , now they go home full of laokao only the riders are sitting on Honda Waves , Honda Waves can't think ..............CRUNCH !

It is truly sad. But if motorcyclists decide to ride helmetless, drunk, against traffic, no lights at night, etc,....let Darwinism simply continue. Can't legislate or force people who simply do not care about their own safety and are willing to die as soon as they get on a bike. Too bad the families left behind have to suffer the losses. Truly sad.

Archived