Carnage continues on Thai roads: 3,175 reported dead at the scene since the start of 2019

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

I think at that stage it is too late. Have you done the test for a Thai drivers licence? I did it two month ago and it is just ridiculous. NOBODY is required to have had driver lessons before the test. The most basic things are not covered, actions you are being taught in my country, the Netherlands, in Germany and many other countries... learning how to respect lines on the street, how to speed up your car, how to drive through a curve, where to pay attention and why and also making that a part of your examn. True, the 5 hour long interesting, but in the end boring movie you got to watch at the examn day, covers it, but really???? What do you learn from that? What stays in your mind?

I don't think it is the task of the police to arrest ignorant Thai drivers, who just don't have a clue what they are doing. TEACH them first, let them fail where safety is ignored. My test was mainly three things: how to park my car 25cm from the curve, stop at the yellow line (2 in one), then reversed parking and driving up and down in a narrow street. THATS IT! With that they let me drive on the road. Nobody in the school was concerned about overtaking another car, indicating, speeding, respecting all kinds of traffic rules.

How on earth do the Thai drivers know how to drive and how do they learn it? They learn all the mistakes as well. How long does it take for a motordriver in Europe and other countries to get his licence? 

Even if the teaching and the lessons would not be at our standard, I think a minor increase in teaching people how to behave in a proper and long way, will do more good to road accidents then any police enforcement.

My driving test on Samui, i never went outside of the test room, first i had to watch a silly movie (all in Thai) then did some braking reaction test on a machine and colour identification with different sized and coloured spots. Finished.   Embarassing really  but mai pen lai i know that i had to earn my Queensland licence.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why are you being overtaken on the inside? Could it be you're driving too slow on the fast lane?

You do know that on 4 lane roads overtaking on the inside is legally allowed?

Nothing was mentioned about being in the fast lane as also seems common practice here. I myself enjoy the better road surface and the chance to do maximum legal speed  when possible. 

I was referring to the constant stream of bike riders that are quite happy to overtake on the inside of the left hand lane. 

Especially when you are indicating the intention to turn left from that left hand lane. 

The classic example as in the video.

Basically driving on what westerners refer to as the hard shoulder. 

Or pavement.

The Thaiway code ambiguous as it is, does say on multi lane roads meaning 3 or more in the same direction. Its ok..

Dual highways, 2 in each direction its deemed illegal. 

Has been raised on TVF several times before.

4 hours ago, ocddave said:

Nothing new here, see it every day here in Bangkok, I would say 90% of the drivers on the road don't follow road rules, the other 10% I imagine have traveled or lived abroad and know better. Its pretty sad to see nothing being done by the police, in fact most of them encourage the reckless behavior, or do the same themselves. Take for instance the highway police encouraging drivers to enter on-ramps and off-ramps to pass at high-speed in heavy traffic and then cross hash-marks as they zoom down the breakdown lane at 120-140km hr, this is the most dangerous thing I can imagine, and the highway police support it.....they should all be fired, or hanged on public TV. I even had a motorcycle cop today fly down the wrong side of the road, then cut back in before a concrete center island I am approaching while in the far right lane, he did so right over a solid line and almost got squished up against the cement block and between my car. These people have no care in the world about their own safety, let alone anyone else on the road, I assume they are just suicidal. 

Trouble is Bangkok is probably  as good as it gets.

It goes downhill rapidly after that!

47 minutes ago, Benroon said:

If you’re being overtaken on the inside it’s YOU that’s in the wrong lane ! 

Not always, roads here in Bangkok are separated depending on where you are going, could be 4-5 lanes across 2 going along side of a bridge, with one lane for U-Turn, then two going forward over bridge, all kinds of directions. Passing on the inside to gain advantage, especially in traffic, and on a motorcycle.....usually without a blinker, is INSANE!!!

Some motivation to get the police to be more pro active than an occasional roadside stop might help. One wonders whether ther are woefully inadequate police numbers or an unwillingness to get out of the airconditioning. They certainly shouldn't need many in the office considering the numbers transferred to an "inactive post".

11 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Have to say that although the standard of teaching and subsequent poor driving habits / skills from Thais you see on the roads here  many many farang have gone "native" with their driving habits. I have friends that I see breaking the rules of the road through impatience and taking unnecessary risks to save 10 seconds or less. My comment is always if you want to do it, don't do it while I'm in the car and if you wouldn't do it at home why would you do it here? Just an observation.

Oh..it's the "farangs" out there causing all the accidents-once again-is it?

The Thai really do possess a unique and peculiar little brain.Any connection with reality is purely co-incidental and not to be taken seriously.

15 hours ago, Youlike said:

In that case they should hire foreign experts to train the Thai police....how many people have to die first? Soon the rest of the world will watch these video's and think the Thai must be lacking braincells.

LOL.

IMO no way they will have foreigners telling the cops how to do their jobs.

Anyway, how many foreign experts speak conversational Thai, and how much spare money does the government have to spend on that?

I suppose it's statistically unimportant, like, what are the chances of me being mown down; but, I must admit, psychologically I'm scared, every time I venture out on Thai roads, especially when I'm on a motorbike. Luckily, we have a pretty hefty pick-up, but even that is little protection if you meet one of these lorries. I can fully understand why Thais put faith in amulets. 

17 hours ago, z42 said:

In many of the crashes it is simply a case of carelessness, recklessness, or a complete lack of any driving skill or road awareness altogether.

The cops' MO is never about being proactive, as it is likely going to be confrontational and will be simply too much of an effort for them to be bothered with 

The BIB are loath to be proactive knowing full well that many of the traffic offenders are armed.  It is much safer to stay in the A/C office or shack and only react!

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Nothing was mentioned about being in the fast lane as also seems common practice here. I myself enjoy the better road surface and the chance to do maximum legal speed  when possible. 

I was referring to the constant stream of bike riders that are quite happy to overtake on the inside of the left hand lane. 

Especially when you are indicating the intention to turn left from that left hand lane. 

The classic example as in the video.

Basically driving on what westerners refer to as the hard shoulder. 

Or pavement.

The Thaiway code ambiguous as it is, does say on multi lane roads meaning 3 or more in the same direction. Its ok..

Dual highways, 2 in each direction its deemed illegal. 

Has been raised on TVF several times before.

2 in the same direction, not 3, is legal.

Bikes are supposed to overtake on the inside lane, so undertake.

It is not up to you to limit others by driving maximum speed on the fast lane. Move over to the left if possible, and stop moaning about being undertaken.

A friend of mine was here recently and we spent 1 week together...it was his first time here. After a few days he commented on how he couldn’t believe the Thais complete lack of spatial awareness and peripheral vision...this was in relation to every day life not driving.

i have noticed this for years (constantly flapping my arms for attention in a restaraunt, walking into people, meandering on the sidewalk etc etc). 

I think this general lack of awareness plays a huge part in the traffic carnage.

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Luckily, we have a pretty hefty pick-up, but even that is little protection if you meet one of these lorries

Offer Govt some money for one of their old tanks. Even the lorries will give you a W I D E berth! ????

And you won't notice a motorbike/scooter if it hits you.

There are three major factors that influence traffic accidents. 1) Engineering, construction, design and signage of roads, 2) Driver training and education and 3) Enforcement of laws-that includes DWI.

As a former partner in a transportation safety management consulting firm in the USA, I can attest that Thailand needs great improvement in all three areas. In the meantime, 'be careful out there whether driving or walking.  

19 hours ago, Youlike said:

In that case they should hire foreign experts to train the Thai police....how many people have to die first? Soon the rest of the world will watch these video's and think the Thai must be lacking braincells.

Its true, Thai dont worry to pass hundreds of law to protect stupid people from themself, like in some western country.

and why should they?

-look what happen when they banned people riding in back of pickup.

You must admit, the education system doesnt exactly promote the idea of think for yourself, weigh up the risk against the consequences of stupid behaviour.

Only have to look how some will handle things when major sหIt goes down...

when the lid blows off...

shooting or axe murder parents, teachers, ex partner

then spend life in horrible Thai prison. 

hmmm not a smart move!

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

As stated IN the article and by about 15 other people who can’t read before you ????‍♂️

If you can read why did you not note my response was addressed to another TVF member who did not appear to realise the quoted figures are not inclusive of all deaths.

It can't be fixed.  All it takes is a drive anywhere in Thailand and you'll see the most idiotic driving time after time.  It won't change no matter what the government says, no matter what they show on TV.

That's the problem. The people seem to be happy driving to their deaths, and refuse any law that would make it safer.

Only an extremely unpopular draconian approach would work: infraction, seizure of vehicle. Corrupt cop, mandatory 3 years jail.

Do this for two generations, and it may sink in.

Although, I still say, only foreigners should be allowed to drive here.

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Totally different thing altogether - you follow the traffic conditions of your lane if they are indicated as going in different directions for example - that is not undertaking.

If you want to move to the left in those circumstances you have to wait until it is safe to do so - if everyone on your left is booting it at 150mph you’ll just have to wait! 

I very much doubt there are many who drive at a speed in excess of 240kilometres/hour in BKK! 

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

2 in the same direction, not 3, is legal.

Bikes are supposed to overtake on the inside lane, so undertake.

It is not up to you to limit others by driving maximum speed on the fast lane. Move over to the left if possible, and stop moaning about being undertaken.

Why do people have to comment and assume?

I learned ages ago that there's no tea and sympathy on here.

But i will still contribute as i can.

Nothing was said about my driving in the fast lane and holding people up.

As for undertaking..

That's a new one on me.!!

Numerous previous post on TVF have mentioned the multiple lane as meaning 3.

One person failed the test for saying 2.

I'm just reiterating what was mentioned before. 

We will never fix it, just drive accordingly and expect the unexpected. 

so the average is 43 per day at the scene. And from hospital perhaps 86 wouldnt be a stretch. The mindset of most thais is to blame. But they dont seem to care so contunue on with killing each other to show the world how much you love fellow thais and your country.

As has been mentioned previously, the main reason for the high fatality rate in Thailand is directly proportional the high use of motorbikes as a main mode of transportation.   If the US, UK, Australia, Canada, or any other Western nation for that matter, had the huge numbers of motorbikes on their main roads and highways, as does Thailand, they too would see their fatality rates jump as well.  I was a professional driver in an urban center for over 20 years, and was accident free during that time. Have I seen examples of unsafe driving habits in Thailand? Absolutely.  Did I see untold examples of unsafe driving on numerous North American roads, highways and freeways?  Damn right.   Driving while putting on makeup, talking on cell phones, eating Big Macs, reading the newspaper, and even watching a dash-mounted portable TV.  Lane changes without signalling are the norm in North America, rather then the exception.  The difference is, when you make an lane change without signalling in the US or Canada, you are more likely to hit an SUV, then some poor sucker on his 125cc Honda Click.  The SUV gets a dent, while the driver on the Click gets face-planted into a concrete power pole.  

I read this thread and, though I am not Thai, I resent the smug implications of many posts that Thai drivers are somehow genetically worse drivers then those in the West.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Let massive numbers of L.A. drivers have to do their morning freeway commute on motorbikes, rather then automobiles, and you would see carnage like you have never seen before. 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Why do people have to comment and assume?

I learned ages ago that there's no tea and sympathy on here.

But i will still contribute as i can.

Nothing was said about my driving in the fast lane and holding people up.

As for undertaking..

That's a new one on me.!!

Numerous previous post on TVF have mentioned the multiple lane as meaning 3.

One person failed the test for saying 2.

I'm just reiterating what was mentioned before. 

We will never fix it, just drive accordingly and expect the unexpected. 

You said you were driving in the fast lane on the speed limit. That means others are behind you. Yes, driving too fast, but that is not up to you. What is up to you is to move to the left where you're supposed to be so they can pass you they easy and safe way, on the right.

You're spreading incorrect information. 2 lanes each direction means undertaking is legal.

Basic driving skills and understanding the road rules needs to be drilled into the drivers here. Things like texting, safely turning into traffic, staying in marked lanes, giving way to the right and just being aware of what's happening on the road ahead don't seem to be part of the Thai skill set.

In Australia years ago we had ads on TV teaching how to be a good driver covering many aspects of road behavior... they should try that here

TV ads repeated over and over do sink in, Thais love watching TV so go for it.

Archived