Be warned about strict rules at Padang Besar

Sad to hear of another IO with no self-control / sense of professionalism at any location, but ...

If entering Visa Exempt, you may be asked to show 10K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, plus a hotel-booking**, plus a flight-out leaving within 30-days.

** (maybe a letter from a Thai where you are staying - but I'd make a free booking)

If entering with a Visa, you may need to show 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.

These actual published rules can be enforced anywhere.  At Malaysian entry-points, one may also need to spend a night out of Thailand before returning Visa-Exempt.

CYA, folks - be prepared.  At least they only enforce "real" rules at most points of entry (unlike the Bangkok airports, where there are no rules).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Why is it always the women IOs that are the absoloute worst at borders....one at Mukdahan as well ?

There is one at Mae Sai coming back in also that was a nightmare...squashed in that tiny box with the guy. EVERY person had their head chewed off in front for not writing the address clear or their room number if apt./condo. luckily got the guy ???? 

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If entering Visa Exempt, you may be asked to show 10K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, plus a hotel-booking**, plus a flight-out leaving within 30-days.

** (maybe a letter from a Thai where you are staying - but I'd make a free booking)

If entering with a Visa, you may need to show 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.

Do you think that they would check to see if you had a hotel booking? I doubt it. I'm sure if you just give the name of a hotel you would be OK, but as you say, a booking costs nothing. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:11 AM, yellowboat said:

Did she have reddish long hair ?   Known others who have similar experiences.  If it is the same women and you give what she wants and tell her you will make a formal complaint if she does not relent, she backs down.  

IO rule number one: they have the right to reject any suspicious character from entering Thailand WITHOUT any reason or explaination. That is their prerogative.

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2019 at 8:51 AM, baansgr said:

I read many forums of Asean countries about visas etc yet it only seems to be Thailand that has constant complaints and no consistency, this morning about 7 threads already of refused visas and extensions....

It also seems that thailand seemed to have more than her share of overstayers and dubious tourists.  

2 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

It also seems that thailand seemed to have more than her share of overstayers and dubious tourists.  

Do you know the amount of Thais working and staying illegally in S.Korea dwarfs the amount of illegals in Thailand....I think everyone is for border checks etc, its just the inconcistancy and continual changes with the awful attitude of many I.O.s that people are unhappy about

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, freedomnow said:

Why is it always the women IOs that are the absoloute worst at borders....one at Mukdahan as well ?

There is one at Mae Sai coming back in also that was a nightmare...squashed in that tiny box with the guy. EVERY person had their head chewed off in front for not writing the address clear or their room number if apt./condo. luckily got the guy ???? 

Maybe the lady IOs have a low opinion of foreigners after reading about the sex mongers and deplorable tourist antics thus eyeing every foreigner at land border crossings as mongers visiting Thailand not for her culture and temples... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2019 at 7:43 AM, dinsdale said:

Throwing things and shouting is a big no no in Thai culture. Sounds like this women is a complete nutter.

Strangely enough that does not apply if they have more status than you - higher on the P-Nong totem pole.

BTW - They do not tell you that in those helpful websites and books about Thai culture. Go figure :biggrin: 

46 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

If a Thai deemed you are of a lower status from them, then all rules goes out of the window. Thailand is a feudal system with a pecking order. Civil rights are not known here. 

Sakdina

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Maybe the lady IOs have a low opinion of foreigners after reading about the sex mongers and deplorable tourist antics thus eyeing every foreigner at land border crossings as mongers visiting Thailand not for her culture and temples... 

Exactly. Can you imagine sitting there day after day dealing with dreadlocked elephants pants wearing backpackers with $50 between them who havent bathed in a month, fat tattooed guys in Arsenal wife beaters and flip flops who dont smell much better, furtive little kiddy diddling geeks, shaven head Russian Vors with pneumatic blonde f***dolls, Burmese laborers, Khmer witch doctors, annoying superiors, imperious agents, loudmouthed know it all farangs who just want to argue, sneaky off the books employed teachers, Ozzie bikers, Pakistani militants.......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

IO rule number one: they have the right to reject any suspicious character from entering Thailand WITHOUT any reason or explaination. That is their prerogative.

Yes and it is your prerogative to question their decision and make a formal complaint. I have seen them back down when you are able to produce B20K, bus or plane tickets out of Thailand and hotel reservations for a few nights, and tell them you mean to complain if rejected.    Also if you are an old hand with work permits or current long term visa from nearby countries, they have less room for exercising their prerogatives.    

The only immigration troubles I hear about are in Thailand.  If I did not work with such great people there, I would happily not go there.    You are better off in an up and coming country like Vietnam anyway where you can work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

Is that true about there not being immigration desks in the train station anymore? 

I doubt it unless they renovate the entire station, moving it back 1-3km.   There are 3 int'l trains (with more in the future possibly).

And how would you do it?  The train station is technically in Malaysia.  Walk and then stamp out of malaysian border office (without an entry stamp)?  Then walk or motorbike to the thai border immigration office?  Stamp "out" of thailand and then walk back into Malaysia?

I think @vinniekintana confused the fact that there are in fact two separate border checkpoints at Padang Besar (train and vehicle/foot)

-----

I agree with the advice to either take the train, or go via Sadao/Dannok.  No photos allowed inside the Thai Danok immigration arrival office.   (That's a story for another time).

Edited by 4evermaat

If you must visit Thailand, avoiding DMK and possibly Padang Besar would help not to ruin your journey.  

Heard bad things that happened Poi Pet, but have only seen one very odd thing.  An IO spent quite a bit of time looking at this westerner's passport.  She then called over a few others to look at it.  They stood around for a few moments talking amongst themselves.  Looking up and staring at traveler then talking among themselves.  Eventually, the IO stamped the pass port and just handed it back without saying anything.  

The worst part of Thailand is the emboldened, unaccountable civil service backed up by the military government.  Hope that and the army gets marginalized over time.

Edited by yellowboat

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

An IO spent quite a bit of time looking at this westerner's passport. 

They did that to me last time I left there ........ no idea what that was about.

Maybe they were envious of all my foreign travel in the past three years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ctkong said:

It's also illegal - because the Immigration Act was written in a way to prevent exactly that kind of behavior.  Appeals to the law won't help when dealing with a pack of criminals, however - and it appears those who are supposed to be reigning them to prevent anarchy in are either asleep at the wheel, or their silence has been purchased.

That said, the rules for Visa-Exempt entry allow them to ask for the 1) Money, 2) Ticket-Out, 3) Hotel-Booking or Rental Agreement.  Most times, you won't need any of them, but best to have them always at the ready to show.  Per reports to-date, those will get you in and Pedang Besar - plus at least one night out of Thailand.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Heard bad things that happened Poi Pet

The Poipet/Aranya entry point is another situation entirely vs Pedang Besar.  Poipet IOs will deny-entry there with a Tourist Visa and the required money, or Visa-Exempt even with the required 3 things (above).  They aren't just "rude" - they are law breakers.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2