U.S. 2019 March Madness College Basketball Tournament Upcoming

Yesterday, someone started a thread on the upcoming 2019 U.S. March Madness College Basketball tournament that will start in a week or so, and run for the ensuing month. It looks like the mods deleted that OP's post because it linked to an outside website, but in doing so, they also deleted my informational post response on the subject of watching the tournament's game broadcasts.

It looks like the various/many games are going to be spread among 4 different U.S. networks -- CBS, TNT, TBS and Tru TV, the latter 3 being cable TV networks, and the end/final games of the tournament will be split between CBS and TNT. I have no idea what if any plans might be afoot for re-broadcasting of any of the MM games on any of the Thai cable TV services.

For those who are interested, it is possible to watch the games via an OTT (over the top) streaming cable TV service of which there are several in the U.S. that can be subscribed to on a monthly basis -- services like YouTube TV, Hulu Live, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, etc etc. Those are going to require a U.S. IP address and probably a U.S. address and U.S. bank card for payment.

There also is a March Madness app again this year for Android, Apple and Fire TV devices, though what exactly the app gives you after an initial 3 hour free preview period is a bit unclear. The app's descriptions on the Google and Amazon app stores say it will provide access to ALL tournament games once authenticated with a U.S. cable/pay TV account subscription. Some other news reports are saying the app will cover all games EXCEPT those carried by CBS.  So that issue seems a bit unclear.

When I authenticated the Fire TV and Android TV apps today with my U.S. cable/streaming pay TV account credentials, I got the following messages in the respective apps:

801714327_NCAAMMAndroidTVActiv.jpg.cc8443a46ec018a9a143046553be34ad.jpg

979283742_NCAAMMFireTVactivation.jpg.1f1306c9742fc58fcaa6f7c85d150ee1.jpg

When I checked the list of the various pay TV services that enable you to authenticate on the app, I found the following:

--YouTube TV, DirecTVNow, Hulu Live, and Playstation Vue were all listed.

--Fubo TV and Sling TV were not, though that only means subscribers to those latter two services won't be able to watch the games via the app. They'll still be able to watch them on those two services to the extent their particular subscriptions include the CBS, TNT, TBS and Tru TV networks.

Archived