Electricity cut off

susae123

My electricity in condo is cut off since 3 days now. The due date of my bill was 18 March but my electricity went off on 12 March. I paid via k-bank app as soon possible. I still haven't got the electricity and when I went to see the electricity room, my meter wasn't there. My meter was cut out and the wires were taped. I went to the office but they said me to call the owner. Owner lives in Ayutthaya and does not understand English much too. She says I don't know about this kind of problem. I called the MEA and they say that the electricity is temporarily blocked under Thai law. But, they won't say me what is the problem. I am just a uni student here and it has been really hard for me. What can I do?

This does not sound like the whole story... why do you think the electricity has been cut off and the meter taken? 

If you don't know, I would talk to the building manager... they should know. 

Good luck but electricity is not cut off for no reason. 

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

This does not sound like the whole story... why do you think the electricity has been cut off and the meter taken? 

If you don't know, I would talk to the building manager... they should know. 

Good luck but electricity is not cut off for no reason. 

I have no idea why my electricity has been cut off. The due date was between 6-18 March and I paid to MEA via online banking on 12th. The building manager says to contact owner and owner says to contact MEA and MEA says to contact owner. 

OK. Take a Thai speaker to the MEA office. They can explain that the owner is not available, if a problem get MEA to speak to the owner (make sure your phone has plenty of credit).

• Take your payment slips from all your payments (print from online banking).
  • Do MEA acknowledge receipt of the payment?
  • How about previous months? (it could be last month's payment that's gone astray)
  • Take your bill with you to verify they've actually cut off the correct supply.

Good luck.

I have had those boxes taken out a couple of times. Where I am there are only a couple reasons the box may be removed... you don't pay a bill (it even costs about 40 baht to have the box there when not using any electricity), or you tell the company to remove it. 

Since nobody told them to remove it i bet there was an unpaid bill. They will take it even if you do not pay their little 40 baht... that is what i call the we dont take your meter box fee. 

You would need to go to some power office and have them put the box back. I have done this a couple times. It is a pain, and it can take up to a week believe it or not. Ask the building people where that office is and then do your best to tell them "no meter, building xyz, room 123" in your best broken english. 

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK. Take a Thai speaker to the MEA office. They can explain that the owner is not available, if a problem get MEA to speak to the owner (make sure your phone has plenty of credit).

• Take your payment slips from all your payments (print from online banking).
  • Do MEA acknowledge receipt of the payment?
  • How about previous months? (it could be last month's payment that's gone astray)
  • Take your bill with you to verify they've actually cut off the correct supply.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, that is right. You would need to show you are the owner and the chanote and all. Oh man good luck, really. I totally forgot that small detail lol. 

If you have a copy of the bill with the customer reference number on it, try calling the the PEA Call Centre on 1129. (press 9 for English when your call is answered)

They speak reasonable English and should be able to explain the situation and what you need to do to resolve it.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Our OP appears to be an MEA customer, any idea what their number is?

I noticed, but had assumed (erroneously) it covered the entire country.

As  you've forced me to check, I see it is a different number for the MEA - 1130

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

BTW I know the PEA number off by heart, as I call them regularly about our power outages - 64 in the past five and a half years.

You keep count?? :whistling:

If you get the PEA App you can report outages and pay your William :smile:

In reality the man turns up sooner if you call when the juice is off.

1 hour ago, susae123 said:

I have no idea why my electricity has been cut off. The due date was between 6-18 March and I paid to MEA via online banking on 12th. The building manager says to contact owner and owner says to contact MEA and MEA says to contact owner. 

I doubt it is being cut even if for a few days late... maybe they have not been receiving your payment for several months... I would check to see where your payments are going... I expect that it is a rather simple accounting mistake... or money sent to the wrong place... 

they sell electric, you want to buy electric and have the money... just figure out where the short circuit is occurring and yes, bring a Thai speaker. They are not obligated to speak your language... 

Good luck -- sometimes these things happen in life. 

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You keep count?? :whistling:

If you get the PEA App you can report outages and pay your William :smile:

In reality the man turns up sooner if you call when the juice is off.

I am bored, at home all the time, not much else to do.

Turns up sooner? Do you call them for reasons other than a power outage?

I must say when I call them, within a minute they can check their system and tell me if the outage has been reported already. If it's something like a transmission line fault, then the entire amphur muang will be down too.

If it's local to our village, I'm always the first, even though I wait for half an hour before calling.

Everyone else in the village just sit around asking each other when the power will be back on.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Everyone else in the village just sit around asking each other when the power will be back on.

Exactly!

We give it 15 minutes before calling or hitting the App.

On 3/14/2019 at 4:50 PM, direction BANGKOK said:

Oh yeah, that is right. You would need to show you are the owner and the chanote and all. Oh man good luck, really. I totally forgot that small detail lol. 

Not necessarily.  My electricity is under the name of my condo owner who I had never met and had no way to contact.  I screwed up and didn't pay my bill and my meter was pulled.  I took copies of my previous 6 months bills plus the outstanding one to MEA (Rhamkhamheng), settled the overdue amount and my meter was reinstalled by the time I got back to my room an hour later.  It appeared that absentee landlords are a common issue with MEA and they knew how to handle it.

Archived