Chiang Mai tops list of world’s most polluted city for three days running

snoop1130

Chiang Mai tops list of world’s most polluted city for three days running

By The Nation

400e6dbdff7015ea81f1ecc504c3195f-sld.jpeg

Chiang Mai has been topping the list of the world’s most polluted major cities for some hours every day since Tuesday.

As of 1.49pm on Thursday, Chiang Mai ranked No 1 in terms of air pollution. Its Air Quality Index stood at 293, a far cry from the safe limit of 100. 

The list of the most polluted cities is complied by AirVisual.com, which extensively monitors air quality across the world.

Coming in after Chiang Mai on Thursday afternoon were the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka and India’s New Delhi respectively. 

Chiang Mai also hit the No 1 spot for some hours on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

Agricultural fires are mostly to blame for the pollution in Chiang Mai, and Chiang Mai University has suspended its classes until Friday as a protection measure. 

Several children joined a rally on Thursday demanding their right to clean air and have written petitions to the Chiang Mai governor demanding immediate solutions.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365800

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-14

On Tuesday morning I drove a m'bike the 90kms from Doi Saket around Chiang Mai to Mae Rim and on to Chiang Dao. I never saw an actual fire, visibility was cut to about 500m and my eyes and throat felt itchy. I went on to Chai Prakan which was less polluted and eventually to Tha Ton still never seeing an actual fire. Its puzzling. But Chiang Mai's traffic congestion doubles the city problem and new road building will only worsen it. With Bangkok in all its horror right in front of our eyes and a problem for 30 years you would think the authorities would learn but they have failed miserably. If they were at school it would be an E, less than 20/100. 

11 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

On Tuesday morning I drove a m'bike the 90kms from Doi Saket around Chiang Mai to Mae Rim and on to Chiang Dao. I never saw an actual fire, visibility was cut to about 500m and my eyes and throat felt itchy. I went on to Chai Prakan which was less polluted and eventually to Tha Ton still never seeing an actual fire. Its puzzling. But Chiang Mai's traffic congestion doubles the city problem and new road building will only worsen it. With Bangkok in all its horror right in front of our eyes and a problem for 30 years you would think the authorities would learn but they have failed miserably. If they were at school it would be an E, less than 20/100. 

The fires are in the hills, in the forest.  Mainly burn at night.  Then the smoke falls down to the valley floor.

The rural farmers will not stop this annual task of burning their fields before harvest season until the government teaches  them an alternative way or educate the farmers reasons why not to burn fields. Campaign posters will not work. 

Correction!

Today Friday at 10:30 am we are number 1 for the fourth day running, with an all time record of 320 on the US AQI rating.

And our invisible Governor promised us that by now it would be getting better, not worse. He has smog in his cranium methinks.

I am considering whether to hand out masks to passengers arriving at CNX as a good gesture.

Archived