"no brakes"accidents in Thailand

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Nor is there in N. America

I was a commercial driver and instructor for 40 years there is random testing!  Enforcement is putting doubt in your head there isn't enough manpower for any country to catch everyone. That doubt is what keeps you in line! In 40 years I got tested at best 10 times it is no different for the general population Doubt keeps you from running a red light, drinking over the limit, etc etc.. Here you have enforcement at checkpoints that is 1% of the chance enforcement (doubt) is 24/7 365 days a year.

The problem could be the general standard of workshops. Especially smaller cheap workshops in the countryside. These workshops are often run by former motorcycle mechanics with no or very little education. Cars are only tested with regard to brakes after seven years. This should be mandatory every 2 - 3 years. Many people do not care so much about car maintenance, so many accidents could happen due to poor brakes. And even worse for motorcycles. Every time I have borrowed a motorcycle, the brakes have been in poor condition.

6 hours ago, CPH said:

And even worse for motorcycles. Every time I have borrowed a motorcycle, the brakes have been in poor condition.

just recalled when i was completely new to thailand

and was on the topic of poor brake on the front wheel,

my landlady said "only falangs care about front brakes cause they are stupid" ????

On 3/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, soistalker said:

My hobby is watching car and scooter crash videos from Thailand. Go check it out out on YouTube. I'll estimate 40% of all accidents are collisions BEFORE the Thai hits the brakes.

Are we then to believe that Thai braking systems are designed to only work on or after impact????

On 3/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Think more it's the "breaker" not the breaks itself that is the problem in Thailand.

Agreed. Failure to press the brake pedal does not constitute brake failure. 

Archived