Court rules that National Park can limit numbers to Similan Islands

snoop1130

Court rules that National Park can limit numbers to Similan Islands

By The Thaiger

14.jpeg

The Similan Islands national park will now be able to limit the number of visitors as a means to prevent ongoing environmental damage. This decision from the Supreme Administrative Court this week, overturning an earlier ruling from the Phuket Administrative Court.

The Similan Islands are a popular diving spot in the Andaman Sea off the coast of Khao Lak.

The ruling reverses an order of the local provincial Court last year which said a plan to limit numbers by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, was not legal.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phang-nga/court-rules-that-national-park-can-limit-numbers-to-similan-islands

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-14

I have been diving at the Similan Islands extensively during 2003-2004. I went back 2 years ago and was shocked by the difference. Very little fish and dying reefs is what is left. 

How can you not want to protect this area? Of course... $$$

On 3/15/2019 at 8:34 AM, Krabi King said:

I have been diving at the Similan Islands extensively during 2003-2004. I went back 2 years ago and was shocked by the difference. Very little fish and dying reefs is what is left. 

How can you not want to protect this area? Of course... $$$

That’s the last time I went diving there. Thanks for the warning...I guessed as much.

Archived