Motorbike Penalties 2019 in Chiang Mai ?

freedomnow

Anyone know what the penalty is for tax disc out of date in Chiang Mai...green book away right now so I cannot update the tax disc...

saw the diligent officers of the law looking at it other day at a checkpoint, but it was still in date thankfully......love going through those points

and they cannot take a single satang off me...haha...despondent faces as I drive off.

Generally also, what is fine for no license on you, or no helmet in CM now...?

It used to be about 200 baht each for 3 offences above a while back.

Surely the fines are the same everywhere in the country, I'm also interested to know this, for Phuket if different...!

Doesn't DLT put this on a website somewhere,  in Thai maybe...!? Or they rather officers make it up as they go... lol

As I remember, there were official rates and then they could combine fine you only 200 baht for 2 penalties...no helmet/no license vs 400 for each one...got hit with 400 in Hua Hin before but then they disounted it at the office..stuff like that.....variable officer discretion.

My tax is up to date but the whole tax disc holder broke off my scooter recently without me noticing.  Of course the friendly police checkpoint did notice and gave me a ticket - 200b at the police station.  I think my fine was for not displaying the tax rather than not having the tax, but not sure if the fine varies or not.

8 hours ago, thomo1978 said:

My tax is up to date but the whole tax disc holder broke off my scooter recently without me noticing.  Of course the friendly police checkpoint did notice and gave me a ticket - 200b at the police station.  I think my fine was for not displaying the tax rather than not having the tax, but not sure if the fine varies or not.

I put a colour copy of tax disk on the bike,  still carry original in pocket,  in case

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

I put a colour copy of tax disk on the bike,  still carry original in pocket,  in case

Great idea...I will be following suit once my 25 baht replacement arrives!  Maybe a copy on the bike in the holder and the original (or another copy) under the seat.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF has been fined for no helmet ( 400 baht ) and going through a red light ( 500 baht ). I got pinged a year ago for 1000 baht on a car tax disc, probably because I was a farang.

what has a tax disc offence got to do with you being a farang, either you have it or you don't? Just interested. 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, freedomnow said:

Generally also, what is fine for no license on you, or no helmet in CM now...?

1. Wear a helmet then.

2. Get a proper license then.

Then there is no need to constantly avoid road blocks/check points.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, Agusts said:

Surely the fines are the same everywhere in the country, I'm also interested to know this, for Phuket if different...!

Ha ha - tourist shItholes.

One of the (many) benefits of living in Nakon Nowhere, Changwat Real Thailand, is coppers know you, you know the coppers, and you can ride a bike thru a checkpoint with zero bike paperwork. Just make sure you have a license and something on your head.

They are not interested in bikes with no plates, no tax, no nothing, lots of working families with falling to pieces sidecars or working hacks held together with bailing wire, and, yeah, no tax.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, freedomnow said:

and then they could combine fine you only 200 baht for 2 penalties...no helmet/no license vs 400 for each one...

Ha ha,

and if you are daft enough not to have a license or wear a helmet, certainly not those prices...

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

what has a tax disc offence got to do with you being a farang, either you have it or you don't? Just interested. 

It was a roadside stop. My GF told me later 500 baht. I paid it on the spot to save going to a police station. I hadn't noticed I was about a fortnight overdue.

I recently renewed registration/tax disc. The vehicle before me at the inspection shop was a heap of crap that should not have been put back on the road, but it passed. Blew smoke, worn tyres, sagging springs.

I then got a hard time from the shop guy because he claimed my rear brakes didn't pass.

I've come to the conclusion farangs sometimes get targeted by Thais who envy their comparative affluence. Not sure if that answers your question, but I have tried.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It was a roadside stop. My GF told me later 500 baht. I paid it on the spot to save going to a police station. I hadn't noticed I was about a fortnight overdue.

I recently renewed registration/tax disc. The vehicle before me at the inspection shop was a heap of crap that should not have been put back on the road, but it passed. Blew smoke, worn tyres, sagging springs.

I then got a hard time from the shop guy because he claimed my rear brakes didn't pass.

I've come to the conclusion farangs sometimes get targeted by Thais who envy their comparative affluence. Not sure if that answers your question, but I have tried.

It does thank you and I agree. 

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. Wear a helmet then.

2. Get a proper license then.

Then there is no need to constantly avoid road blocks/check points.

Ha ha - tourist shItholes.

One of the (many) benefits of living in Nakon Nowhere, Changwat Real Thailand, is coppers know you, you know the coppers, and you can ride a bike thru a checkpoint with zero bike paperwork. Just make sure you have a license and something on your head.

They are not interested in bikes with no plates, no tax, no nothing, lots of working families with falling to pieces sidecars or working hacks held together with bailing wire, and, yeah, no tax.

Ha ha,

and if you are daft enough not to have a license or wear a helmet, certainly not those prices...

I wear a helmet, have a 5-year license....was just curious and I could not renew my tax disc about 12 days late due to not having my green book to take to tax place, but had to keep using the bike....so just wondered what my penalty would be.

I now have my tax paid, thanks..so no penalty risks now....gave up the very short cat-and-mouse game years ago about helmets/license/tax disc.

I usually say that is not true that they're aiming to farangs in the Chiang Mai checkpoints - because I always see locals being fined.

Today had my confirmation: riding with helmet, sunglasses and mask they stopped me. Asked me for the license in thai, I reply in thai; then asked for the tax, I didn't use the correct tone in the reply and only then he realized I was a farang :"oh, sorry, sorry, you not Thai people, sorry, thank you, can go" (sic)

And, in fact, they were fining a Thai lady with helmet, I suppose because lack of license or tax.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, thaiguzzi said:

...One of the (many) benefits of living in Nakon Nowhere, Changwat Real Thailand, is coppers know you, you know the coppers, and you can ride a bike thru a checkpoint with zero bike paperwork. Just make sure you have a license and something on your head.

They are not interested in bikes with no plates, no tax, no nothing, lots of working families with falling to pieces sidecars or working hacks held together with bailing wire, and, yeah, no tax.  ...

40 years ago in Loei, I had occasion to ride by a cop outpost/checkpoint every so often.  I was waved over a couple times.  I had a lifetime motorcycle license, a pink ID card and a helmet.  No green book, tax stamp or license plate.  They only wanted to chat with the farang.  I don't recall them ever asking for anything at all, though I may have shown them my ID that said I worked for the Land Development Dept.  One time a younger (Indian?) guy stopped and accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops completely ignored him.  555

Archived