Jump to content
BANGKOK 22 April 2019 00:00
anatta0

URGENT : PP Embassy asked for employment letter for tourist visa

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, KarlS said:

NB I did not use the word "typical", it was your choice to use that disparaging word.

i fail to understand Why is the word "typical" is taken to be disparaging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Time for you to head on to another country you’re clearly working here in Thailand And trying to circumvent the system


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So which job is he taking from a Thai?......O-Yea thats right hes not taking any Thai jobs....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Time for you to head on to another country you’re clearly working here in Thailand And trying to circumvent the system


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I wrote it because i found freelance worker wrote the letter for schengen visa application and they are fine, consider that people who run there are more likely to work illegally. 

 

My understanding is that working illegally is like being employed by a Thai or any Thai company without work permit and that is stealing the job from the locals. 

 

The nature of my job is analogous to a CEO of a company, when they visit a country as a tourist, often they have to still deal day to day operations of the business back at home country by phone, emails etc

Edited by anatta0
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, digbeth said:

 

Thai people getting a tourist visa to most 'western' countries have to provide proof of employment/income all the time

And in Australia they require a :genuine" connection to their home country, employment/land/house other commitments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, anatta0 said:

Ok, too late, i already give the letter saying that i have a part time work with company in my country that i can run remotely in my laptop while i travel. Also have some side job that i can run remotely, which is true. But i am not employed or do any business in Thailand. 

 

Lucky lucky said we will get the news today by 5 PM. Either approved or rejected. Before we submitted the visa, we already been warned by lucky lucky that these days, the embassy may ask employment letter. We knew going to Vientiane will be easier, but i like coming to siem-reap and pp as i have not been there before. Also we have no any SETV. 

 

I understand many are frustrated with the visa rules of Thai immigration here. Fyi, i am from Indonesia, have travelled to 9 ASEAN countries (not yet to Brunei) and had been a digital nomad for years in few countries. There is a good reason i picked Thailand.

you are NOT allowed to work in Thailand>
u just F@#KED yourself by admitting ur going to work while ur in Thaland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pr9spk said:

There are plenty of other countries in the world, it's just unlucky that you are trying to get into one which is going all-out to deter Western visitors. If I could re-wind my life a few years, knowing what I know now, I would never have gone to Thailand.

Is there barbed wire round Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KarlS said:

PP has always been known as 'difficult' and it sounds as though they have decided to ramp their requirements. IMO you should abandon attempts to secure a Thia visa in Cambodia and seek, as others have suggested, a visa from an Embassy in a different country. 

Not only PP asks for it. Some Thai consulates in European countries do too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

you are NOT allowed to work in Thailand>
u just F@#KED yourself by admitting ur going to work while ur in Thaland

You guys are funny. Countless genuine tourists work while in Thailand. Checking your email, doing small tasks online - it's all "work". If immigration actually enforced those rules to the letter they'd have to get rid of millions of tourists. They actually clarified in interviews that they're NOT going to go after people doing things like checking their work email.

 

I highly doubt he would actually get denied his first SETV based on that. But let's see - keep us updated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, anatta0 said:

The problem is me and my friend work in IT as programmer, we work as freelancer, develop website remotely for people and also run online store remotely. We are self employed,

Then there is no visa that qualifies for you to stay in Thailand. Digital nomads are allowed to stay for 30 days , as tourists , but trying to live in Thailand over a longer period is no longer an option with today's military rule.  

 

So my advice is to settle down in Vietnam or Cambo instead , the culture is not much different from Thailand, and the prices are about the same , if not cheaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You guys are funny. Countless genuine tourists work while in Thailand.

Do those people write letters to embassies essentially admitting that they will be working illegally in Thailand? Or are they just sensible and discrete about it? I suspect the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pr9spk said:

Do those people write letters to embassies essentially admitting that they will be working illegally in Thailand? Or are they just sensible and discrete about it? I suspect the latter.

You are literally required to show a letter of employment to get a METV. How exactly is one going to be "employed" for half a year without working remotely? Their focus is on making sure you have means to support yourself and won't take jobs from Thais, not to make sure you're unemployed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You are literally required to show a letter of employment to get a METV. How exactly is one going to be "employed" for half a year without working remotely? Their focus is on making sure you have means to support yourself and won't take jobs from Thais, not to make sure you're unemployed...

So you have highlighted another "quirk" of the Thai visa system. They want proof of employment for an METV (however, they will also allow documents for proof of self-employment), yet you are prohibited from "working" whilst in Thailand, as you will be on a tourist visa - "employment prohibited" printed in your passport.

 

If they were purely focused on proving that you can support yourself for your time in Thailand, they would also accept an up to date bank statement showing sufficient funds for your stay, yet they do not.

 

They are experts in creating catch-22 situations, the end result being that they can deny entry or remove you as and when they feel like it, and because things are so convoluted, no one really understands the rules and your experience will vary depending on the officer you speak to.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

So you have highlighted another "quirk" of the Thai visa system. They want proof of employment for an METV (however, they will also allow documents for proof of self-employment), yet you are prohibited from "working" whilst in Thailand, as you will be on a tourist visa - "employment prohibited" printed in your passport.

 

If they were purely focused on proving that you can support yourself for your time in Thailand, they would also accept an up to date bank statement showing sufficient funds for your stay, yet they do not.

 

They are experts in creating catch-22 situations, the end result being that they can deny entry or remove you as and when they feel like it.

What has happened to the visa friendly Thailand from not that long ago?....

Its so bad now I think Pattaya is down to 2 visa run companies...

The whole visa thing is turning into a real bummer....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...