EU says UK must justify any Brexit delay

webfact

EU says UK must justify any Brexit delay

2019-03-14T193510Z_1_LYNXNPEF2D1XK_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

An anti-Brexit protester holds up a sign outside the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain March 14, 2019. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union executive said Britain will have to justify any request to postpone Brexit beyond the end of this month and that EU leaders would put a priority on avoiding disrupting EU institutions in considering it.

Noting Thursday's votes in the British parliament to seek a delay in leaving the bloc, a spokesman for the European Commission said: "A request for an extension of Article 50 requires the unanimous agreement of all 27 member states."

The Council of national leaders, he said, would "consider such a request, giving priority to the need to ensure the functioning of the EU institutions and taking into account the reasons for and duration of a possible extension."

The Council is due to meet next Thursday and Friday. Several leaders have already said that Britain must either have left before a new European Parliament is elected in May to take office in July or must hold its own EU election in order to avoid any legal challenge to the legitimacy of the legislature.

Some have also said that Britain should not be allowed merely to continue to remain a member while giving no clear indication of what it planned to use an extension for after months of deadlock in London over whether or not to accept a Brexit treaty agreed by Prime Minister Theresa May.

(Reporting by Alastair Macdonald ; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-15

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Parliament has stepped up and taken control off the idiots in the Cabinet.

Or

We’ll use the time to make the plan that was never made.

Or

We’ll use the time to investigate who paid for Brexit and why.

Let me decipher the reamainers vocabulary into simple speak.

We will continue to frustrate the democratic process and scream and cry like babies until we get our way.

We will lie, cheat and try every trick in the book, to stop the referendum result because we can't and won't accept it.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We will continue to frustrate the democratic process and scream and cry like babies until we get our way.

Looks more like Brexiteers are increasingly frustrated and crying like babies because they didn’t get it their way. Just look at your post. 

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We will lie, cheat and try every trick in the book, to stop the referendum result because we can't and won't accept it.

Can’t see what you’re referring to, but then it would be just fair to lie, cheat and try every trick in the book to stop a referendum result that was only achieved through massive lieing, cheating and trying every trick in the book. 

12 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

'Simple speak' and falsehoods, that is what we usually get from Brexiteers......

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Looks more like Brexiteers are increasingly frustrated and crying like babies because they didn’t get it their way. Just look at your post. 

Can’t see what you’re referring to, but then it would be just fair to lie, cheat and try every trick in the book to stop a referendum result that was only achieved through massive lieing, cheating and trying every trick in the book. 

I can see your not the brightest. Read it again as it is a translation from your post.

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

⬆️ Look who’s the one being frustrated and “crying like babies”. Still dreaming of your Brexit? ????   

Nah not me I am laughing all the way. There is more chance of a Brrexit than a second referendum.

Even a no deal is still a possibility if the EU won't accept an extension.

I guess we will all have to get use to red bus stories and Russian spies again, for the near future here on TV.

I live back in the UK at the moment, you have to be here to realize how angry people in the street are, they feel betrayed by the government we pay a lot of money to with are taxes. £77,000 a year plus expenses i think is right.

Even remainers I know now hate the Tories and what they are doing. The next election will be a bloodbath for the Tories opening the gate for a Labor PM

Just how many times does she say this?????? It will open even if you don't use FB

https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficial/videos/2122550297828249/

Read the comments to get the mood

The troughing pigs in Westminster won't, can't or are unable to follow simple instructions given to them by the people they are duty bound to serve so please do the one decent thing EU and kick us out on 29 March. You won't of course but watch out in the upcoming EU elections if the delay keeps getting extended. Those parliamentary traitors voted for article 50, I hope come the next General Election every rotten MP from a leave constituency that voted against a no deal Brexit is booted out of office. 

4 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

I live back in the UK at the moment, you have to be here to realize how angry people in the street are, they feel betrayed by the government we pay a lot of money to with are taxes. £77,000 a year plus expenses i think is right.

Even remainers I know now hate the Tories and what they are doing. The next election will be a bloodbath for the Tories opening the gate for a Labor PM

Just how many times does she say this?????? It will open even if you don't use FB

https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficial/videos/2122550297828249/

Read the comments to get the mood

I agree with nearly all you say except the 'opening the gates for a Labour MP'.  With Jezza at the helm, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for such a pathetic man, who would sell his granny. It is a shame there seems nobody who has the gumption to take the Labour party, to the forefront of politics. i think that it will be a while before a Labour PM is in 10 downing street. Unless someone is lurking in the background, that I haven't seen.

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Pretty sure some tory minister say this has cost 4bn already what value for money for are we leaving or not and is this Boris's better deal out than in and where is he????

Whilst not a huge fan of Boris at least he did the right thing and resign over Mays appalling deal. Same with David Davis and Dominic Rhab. After the failed attempt to oust May as Party Leader, Boris has been sidelined. Far to many remaining Tory MPs and even more in the cabinet.

Whilst not a huge fan of Boris at least he did the right thing and resign over Mays appalling deal. Same with David Davis and Dominic Rhab. After the failed attempt to oust May as Party Leader, Boris has been sidelined. Far to many remaining Tory MPs and even more in the cabinet.
May's deal is certainly appalling, but watch the Brexiteers vote for it next Tuesday. [emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

May's deal is certainly appalling, but watch the Brexiteers vote for it next Tuesday. [emoji21]

When the majority against May’s Deal has been 230 and 149, how can she persuade so many Brexiteer MPs to change their position if the surrender details do not substantially change? Threats and coercion have not worked so far.
Has Bercow decided a third vote on it will be allowed? Supposed to be impartial, he’s obviously pulling various tricks, but according to Erskine May rules he should not allow a second vote on her deal in this session.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

May's deal is certainly appalling, but watch the Brexiteers vote for it next Tuesday. emoji21.png

I suspect your views mirror most of the MPs in Parliament that want to remain within the EU, however the country voted to leave the EU and our spineless self serving members of parliament are doing everything possible to thwart that democratic decision. That has left the very few decent democratic MPs in Parliament with Hobsons choice, either vote for a very bad deal or be left with the possibility of an even more watered down deal, and most likely no deal at all. Not an envious choice for anyone to have to choose.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I suspect your views mirror most of the MPs in Parliament that want to remain within the EU, however the country voted to leave the EU and our spineless self serving members of parliament are doing everything possible to thwart that democratic decision. That has left the very few decent democratic MPs in Parliament with Hobsons choice, either vote for a very bad deal or be left with the possibility of an even more watered down deal, and most likely no deal at all. Not an envious choice for anyone to have to choose.

Totally agree.

This is what is all about. Even if you don't agree with the referendum result you must believe in democracy and see that this is just not acceptable.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/eu-will-agree-to-extra-time-if-there-is-a-second-brexit-referendum-z6td8nvd7

"Donald Tusk, president of the European council, who will chair next Thursday’s talks between EU leaders, is pushing for a long extension so that Britain can either reverse or soften Brexit. “During my consultations ahead of the European council, I will appeal to the EU 27 to be open to a long extension if the UK finds it necessary to rethink its Brexit strategy and build consensus around it,” he said."

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The lying has been going on in the foreign billionaire owned anti-EU press for decades. The vast majority of the cheating was commited by the leave campaign, hence their convictions for electoral fraud.

4 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

The lying has been going on in the foreign billionaire owned anti-EU press for decades. The vast majority of the cheating was commited by the leave campaign, hence their convictions for electoral fraud.

That is the funniest thing today. Thank you.

The Press is anti EU. Are you serious. just look who runs the press and their loyalties to a certain Hungarian who spent over a billion supporting remain.

What you just don't seem to comprehend like many others on here. the man/woman in the street, don't give a hoots what the Russians or someone says. They choose their vote on their own personal experiences and beliefs. I suggest you have been hoodwinked into the phrase below.

Ask Joseph Goebbels.

A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth”

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The EU are bricking themselves. Nigel Farage runs rings around them every time.

Farage is one of the key reasons for anti British feeling in the European Parliament. He will be punished 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Give me a break.

Boris resigned as it was in his interests to do so. If it was in his interest to sit in a tutu on the treasury benches wearing a top hat as foreign secretary, Boris would do it.

Boris has only ever been about Boris. Brexit has simply been a useful vehicle for his ambitions. Like most of the people supporting it.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Farage is one of the key reasons for anti British feeling in the European Parliament. He will be punished 

You are possibly right as he speaks the truth. What a shame the other EU members don't have a Nigel Farage fighting their corner. The others seem to be happy to do as they are told.

The EU parliament are self serving anyway. I am glad Nigel Farage is there questioning them at every opportunity. Maybe after the MEP elections some other countries will find an MEP, who has a pair!

2 hours ago, watso63 said:

The troughing pigs in Westminster won't, can't or are unable to follow simple instructions given to them by the people they are duty bound to serve so please do the one decent thing EU and kick us out on 29 March. You won't of course but watch out in the upcoming EU elections if the delay keeps getting extended. Those parliamentary traitors voted for article 50, I hope come the next General Election every rotten MP from a leave constituency that voted against a no deal Brexit is booted out of office. 

I suggest you read and learn about parliamentary representative democracy BEFORE making foolish comments.

1 minute ago, samran said:

Give me a break.

Yes OK. Take 4 weeks.????

1 minute ago, samran said:

Boris resigned as it was in his interests to do so

Please provide some evidence for that.:coffee1:

2 minutes ago, samran said:

. Like most of the people supporting it.

I support Brexit and have no ambitions at all. So that's that theory blown out of the water

Archived