EU says UK must justify any Brexit delay

webfact

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sanemax said:

Rebate has the same meaning, wherever you are 

a partial refund to someone who has paid too much money for tax, rent, or a utility.

Read the link in full ... "the rebate is applied straight away ... so the UK never contributes this much".

What it means is that the "net" figure is sent to Brussels ... not the gross. When a company is calculating it's VAT payment, it deducts input VAT (on purchases) from output VAT (on sales), and pays the net amount. Same principle. 

Take it up with the fact checker Max ... you tell them!!!

8 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

And precisely how would you describe Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' - that was proven to be an outright lie?

It became unnecessary because of quick action by the BoE to slash interest rates even though the GBP was collapsing and massive QE. 

9 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Very true - and neither does anyone else as the calculations have never been published.....

Edit - Which is more than a bit odd.  As you point out, 39 bn is one hell of a lot of money and so needs to be fully explained!

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-can-we-avoid-paying-the-39-billion-brexit-divorce-bill

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Slashed by 0.25%? Come on!

Why bother responding?

Osborne didn't realise that the BoE would step in to help correct any problems?

Never mind how you look at it, Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' was an outright lie, and the worst type of attempted manipulation of the vote.

As it turns out, I suspect that this outright, obvious lie was the final straw for more than a few voters - so his lie probably helped the leave campaign!

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why bother responding?

Osborne didn't realise that the BoE would step in to help correct any problems?

Never mind how you look at it, Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' was an outright lie, and the worst type of attempted manipulation of the vote.

As it turns out, I suspect that this outright, obvious lie was the final straw for more than a few voters - so his lie probably helped the leave campaign!

Yes, the leave campaign was assisted by an assortment of unlikely and unwitting (i.e. witless) allies! Thanks George. 

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Read the link in full ... "the rebate is applied straight away ... so the UK never contributes this much".

What it means is that the "net" figure is sent to Brussels ... not the gross. When a company is calculating it's VAT payment, it deducts input VAT (on purchases) from output VAT (on sales), and pays the net amount. Same principle. 

Take it up with the fact checker Max ... you tell them!!!

Its quite a difficult thing to work out the exact figure , they can be forgiven for not getting the figure 100 % correct , rounding it up to a round figure .

Although I dont think that it would have made much difference  , people didnt caste their vote solely  BECAUSE of what was written on the bus , it may have helped voters form an opinion , but they would have formed the same opinion had the figure been 250 million, or whatever 

58 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its quite a difficult thing to work out the exact figure , they can be forgiven for not getting the figure 100 % correct , rounding it up to a round figure .

Although I dont think that it would have made much difference  , people didnt caste their vote solely  BECAUSE of what was written on the bus , it may have helped voters form an opinion , but they would have formed the same opinion had the figure been 250 million, or whatever 

If you watch the TV movie on that subject ... the people involved knew exactly what they were doing ... even they acknowledge it, even if you can’t bring yourself to. 

16 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but we still give the E.U 350 Million per week , so the words on the bus were the truth

(What they give to us is a different matter)

No. UK gives 250. The rebate is applied directly and is not paid back later.

????

John Bercow speaker of the H.O.C.  :

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-warned-she-cannot-hold-another-vote-on-same-brexit-deal-11669533

And here you can read the MP's reactions in the day live :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/18/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-vote-deal-boris-johnson-tells-may-to-try-again-to-get-eu-to-change-backstop-politics-live

16:08

Bercow suggests he will not allow another Brexit deal vote unless EU agrees further changes

On 3/16/2019 at 8:29 PM, sanemax said:

As I wasnt in the UK at the time and I didnt really follow the campaigns , I dont really know who said what , so, no, I dont know what people were saying .

You  are not alone ,   Most  TV preachers , have not been resident in their beloved  UK for a long time .

Carry on regardless ,  Whitehall has connections on TVF,   you have been warned .

On 3/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, AlexRich said:

If you watch the TV movie on that subject ... the people involved knew exactly what they were doing ... even they acknowledge it, even if you can’t bring yourself to. 

I don't know about the Common Law, but it seems to me that people who are stupid enough to believe charlatans deserve all that they get, and their neighbours should suffer equally until they realise the benefits of parliamentary democracy.

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't know about the Common Law, but it seems to me that people who are stupid enough to believe charlatans deserve all that they get, and their neighbours should suffer equally until they realise the benefits of parliamentary democracy.

What on earth are you on about?

On 3/17/2019 at 6:30 PM, candide said:

And do you really think that that caused people to vote Brexit ?

If , on the side of the bus it had 250M written , do you think that Remain would have won ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

And do you really think that that caused people to vote Brexit ?

If , on the side of the bus it had 250M written , do you think that Remain would have won ?

No idea. However, it is only one lie among others and the sum of them surely had an effect. By the way, the net cost is even lower: 170M.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:30 PM, candide said:

"Rebate" means to give money back  , a rebate isnt a discount .

A discount  is a reduction , a rebate is whats given back after youve paid

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"Rebate" means to give money back  , a rebate isnt a discount .

A discount  is a reduction , a rebate is whats given back after youve paid

No. It's not the way it works in this particular case. And anyway, why are you so obsessed with this theoretical cost of 350M?

Archived