EU says UK must justify any Brexit delay

webfact

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Can you please provide a link where it states he demands a second referendum if the first one was a close call or is this a Fake Post

I agree totally but regardless, what has that got to do with anything. Baseless post and trying to justify a second referendum. Tacky at best.

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

But he did say that in an interview with The Mirror:

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

His words, not mine.

Although "unfinished business" isnt the same as "demanding a second referendum "

7 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

But he did say that in an interview with The Mirror:

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

His words, not mine.

Put your glasses on fella. He said if remain win. They didn't  leasve did, so absolutely baseless.????

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

10 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

More time and resources wasted for dreamers chasing unicorns. I hope they tell the UK it’s either a short extension for May’s deal or a 2-years extension to prepare for a referendum or no extension at all. What a circus. 

There was a referendum to leave where the majority of people voted in favour of leaving. That SHOULD have been end of story, but the anti Brexiteers (many of whom are afraid of losing their MEP salaries and expenses) spat the dummy out, and want further referendums until things go their way. As you say - what a circus!

32 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This man knows. 20 years as an MEP. They can't keep him down.

20 years with his snout in the trough with one of the worst attendance records of any MEP meaning he did virtually no work for his generous salary.

Though he has had to pay a, to him, small amount back after being found guilty of fiddling his MEP expenses: Nigel Farage has MEP salary docked to recoup misspent EU funds.

His fans may say that his camapigning for Brexit is selfless as he will lose his MEP salary; forgetting he will recieve a very generous transition payment of €169,680 to compensate him followed by a very generous pension, currently £73,000 p.a., when he reaches the age of 63. Both funded by British taxpayers via the divorce bill.

Of course, he could choose to opt out of recieving both these payments, and given his oft stated arguments about the EU wasting British taxpayers money maybe he should; except when challenged about the hypocracy of recieving them he has stated on numerous ocassions that he will keep both the transistion payment and the pension!

14 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I thought my point (that Farage went back on his word about seeking a second referendum if the first one was close, making his a.m. statement a lie) was valid.

Here is an extended version. If the remain camp win (they didn't) by two thirds.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Here is an extended version. If the remain camp win (they didn't) by two thirds.

Did Leave win by two-thirds to one third?

No.

According to Farage and his fans a narrow win by Remain would be 'unfinished business.' The only possible interpretation of that being they would want another referendum.

But in the event a narrow win by Leave was hailed by them as a magnificent victory! 

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Neither side won by two-thirds to one-third, so by his reckoning that shouldn't "end it".

Just now, 7by7 said:

Did Leave win by two-thirds to one third?

No.

According to Farage and his fans a narrow win by Remain would be 'unfinished business.' The only possible interpretation of that being they would want another referendum.

But in the event a narrow win by Leave was hailed by them as a magnificent victory! 

What point are you trying to make ?

Just now, Blue Muton said:

Neither side won by two-thirds to one-third, so by his reckoning that shouldn't "end it".

Had remain won by the same margin , would you be quoting Ferange and calling for another referendum now ?

Do you think that the vote shouldnt stand because of the close margin , or do you think that the vote shouldnt stand because you lost ?

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He would make the point that the referendum wasnt fair because the Gov spent 9 Million on leaflets delivered to every home trying to convince them to vote remain 

Not an answer to the question; so I'll ask it again in a different way.

What does 'unfinished business' mean if not being a call for another referendum?

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

& you think it will end there?

I don’t care what a dying breed of geriatrics, racists and islamaphobes do or say ... better to have it out in the open ... I might even get a plane home for a couple of weeks to join the counter protests ... and then I get the opportunity to punch a few of them in the face (not the geriatrics, obviously).

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What point are you trying to make ?

Obvious, I'd have thought.

Just before the actual referendum when he though Remain would narrowlly win Farage not only held, but expressed the view that a narrow victory would be unfinished business, i.e. would require another referendum. A view echoed by most of his supporters.

The morning after the referendum when Leave had won by such a narrow margin, he hailed it as a magnificent victory the result of which was final. A view echoed by not only most of his supporters but also most Brexiteers.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this?

Just now, 7by7 said:

Not an answer to the question; so I'll ask it again in a different way.

What does 'unfinished business' mean if not being a call for another referendum?

Its quite clear what "I dont want a second referendum " means , which was said by Nigel just before the vote . 

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t care what a dying breed of geriatrics, racists and islamaphobes do or say ... better to have it out in the open ... I might even get a plane home for a couple of weeks to join the counter protests ... and then I get the opportunity to punch a few of them in the face (not the geriatrics, obviously).

:clap2::clap2:Congratulations you have just joined the ranks of Bomber. Another Keyboard warrior. I feel privileged that us brexiteers are so uneducated. I will have to go down Wetherspoons. You are really showing your class.

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its quite clear what "I dont want a second referendum " means , which was said by Nigel just before the vote . 

You have a link to that?

Plenty of reports and quotes of his 'unfinished business' remarks, but I can't find any from prior to the referendum where he says 'I don't want a second referendum.'

He's said it a lot since, though!

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Obvious, I'd have thought.

Just before the actual referendum when he though Remain would narrowlly win Farage not only held, but expressed the view that a narrow victory would be unfinished business, i.e. would require another referendum. A view echoed by most of his supporters.

The morning after the referendum when Leave had won by such a narrow margin, he hailed it as a magnificent victory the result of which was final. A view echoed by not only most of his supporters but also most Brexiteers.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this?

"Unfinished business" could have meant that he wouldnt dissolve his UKIP party and continue with his aim to get the UK out of Europe 

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You have a link to that?

Plenty of reports and quotes of his 'unfinished business' remarks, but I can't find any from prior to the referendum where he says 'I don't want a second referendum.'

He's said it a lot since, though!

Yes, I posted a link in this thread , page 8 , my post # 115 , about an hour ago .

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

:clap2::clap2:Congratulations you have just joined the ranks of Bomber. Another Keyboard warrior. I feel privileged that us brexiteers are so uneducated. I will have to go down Wetherspoons. You are really showing your class.

Happy that you are happy ... but you might soon want to change that avatar to “Crying Gravy” as you watch the Brexit dream flushed down the pan by Arlene and Jacob.

Every prediction from TV Brexiteers has been wrong ... a sad deluded bunch.

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You have a link to that?

Plenty of reports and quotes of his 'unfinished business' remarks, but I can't find any from prior to the referendum where he says ' I don't want a second referendum.'

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Farage denied that his suggestion he would fight for a second referendum would further stoke tensions in the Leave campaign.

"I'm not putting it on the agenda, I don't want a second referendum - I want to win this one," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

17 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Scotlands quite cold this time of year , a bit of running around the streets would warm you up though

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"Unfinished business" could have meant that he wouldnt dissolve his UKIP party and continue with his aim to get the UK out of Europe 

Could have?

From the Mirror article

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Farage denied that his suggestion he would fight for a second referendum would further stoke tensions in the Leave campaign.

"I'm not putting it on the agenda, I don't want a second referendum - I want to win this one," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

The key phrase being "his suggestion he would fight for a second referendum......"

No denial there that he would want one in the event of a narrow Remain win!

31 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Had remain won by the same margin , would you be quoting Ferange and calling for another referendum now ?

Do you think that the vote shouldnt stand because of the close margin , or do you think that the vote shouldnt stand because you lost ?

Neither of the above. I do, however, believe that there should be a second referendum. The Electoral fraud committed by the Leave campaign should be sufficient in itself. Regardless of that, the first referendum was flawed in that there was no clear alternative.

Yes, "in" and "out" are alternatives but there was, at the time no clear idea about what "out" would mean apart from the fanciful, nostalgic notion that nanny Farage knows best and everything would be rosy, with every non EU nation on the planet falling over themselves to give jolly old Blighty better trading arrangements than we enjoy as part of the EU. Now there is a deal, albeit not a very good one, to be considered and indeed voted on - as well as a "no deal" exit or remain.

A transferable vote would guard against the Leave vote being split should none of the first preferences exceed 50%.

Archived