Trump slams handling of Brexit by UK's May

webfact

Trump slams handling of Brexit by UK's May

By Jeff Mason and Makini Brice

2019-03-14T160243Z_1_LYNXNPEF2D1H1_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-BORDER.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump participates in a briefing on "drug trafficking on the southern border" in the Roosevelt Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 13, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized British Prime Minister Theresa May's handling of the Brexit talks for Britain's departure from the European Union and said another referendum on the issue would be unfair to the side that won.

Trump, who met May last summer at Blenheim Palace, England, said he had given her his ideas on how to handle the negotiation on Britain's break from the European Union but that she had not taken his advice.

"I will tell you, I'm surprised at how badly it's all gone from the standpoint of a negotiation," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office as he met Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar.

"But I gave the prime minister my ideas on how to negotiate it and I think you would have been successful. She didn't listen to that, and that's fine. I mean ... she's got to do what she's got to do. But I think it could have been negotiated in a different manner, frankly."

Trump said he planned to stay out of the negotiations.

He also said another vote on Brexit would be unfair, and reiterated that he would like to see a U.S. trade deal with the United Kingdom after it leaves the EU.

"I hate to see it being, everything being ripped apart right now. I don't think another vote would be possible because it would be very unfair to the people that won," Trump said.

Varadkar, sitting alongside Trump at the White House, said he looked forward to discussing Brexitwith Trump and that he would like to see a European trade deal with the United States.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Makini Brice; Writing by Susan Heavey; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama, Bill Berkrot and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-15

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think another vote would be possible because it would be very unfair to the people that won," Trump said.

Why would it be unfair? The people who voted the first time for Brexit would have the opportunity to confirm their commitment. However, if some of those who voted for Brexit the first time, have now changed their mind, because of all the implications they were not aware of at the time of the first vote, then the UK will remain in the EU.

It seems to me to be very fair to allow people to reconsider a decision that they later might realize was a bad decision.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

The good old days when it's countries voted and it counted according to the rules and the loosing party accepted it and didn't demonize the winner or opposition

Huge mistake by Cameron when establishing the 'rules'. it was a referendum which was full of misinformation. Sound familiar?

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Huge mistake by Cameron when establishing the 'rules'. it was a referendum which was full of misinformation. Sound familiar?

The investigation into Russia’s interference on Trump’s behalf has already turned up a list of names and organizations active in the Brexit Leave campaign.

Time the UK did some transparent investigation.

Start with Cambridge Analytica and or Rees-Mogg’s meetings with Bannon.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The investigation into Russia’s interference on Trump’s behalf has already turned up a list of names and organizations active in the Brexit Leave campaign.

Time the UK did some transparent investigation.

Start with Cambridge Analytica and or Rees-Mogg’s meetings with Bannon.

100% agree

2 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Why would it be unfair? The people who voted the first time for Brexit would have the opportunity to confirm their commitment. However, if some of those who voted for Brexit the first time, have now changed their mind, because of all the implications they were not aware of at the time of the first vote, then the UK will remain in the EU.

It seems to me to be very fair to allow people to reconsider a decision that they later might realize was a bad decision.

And  6 months  after that one another? and another and another.

Once again Trump is 100% correct. It was handled so terribly, that many people including myself wonder if it was not intentional. Due to May and her cabinet being remainers, it was always going to be a huge ballsup. If Gerard Batten was PM we would have seen a proper Brexit like the one we voted for.

Thanks anyway Mr Trump, for highlighting how useless May has been. It's appreciated.

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Wait!! I changed my mind! I wanna vote again!! I WANNA VOTE AGAIN!!! *stamps feet and cries*

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Trump and Brexit, a dream team. Both are bullies that lied themselves into the heads of the losers and uneducated, supported by Russian troll machines and manipulation software. Both don’t achieve anything than creating havoc and will ultimately fail. 

Both stiffing ordinary working people in favor of the hyper-wealthy.

21 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Wait!! I changed my mind!

I am 70+, I have often changed my mind based on new or/and unexpectedly revealed facts. 

"Stubborn and ardant clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity " 

-Michel de Montaigne-

43 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Trump and Brexit, a dream team. Both are bullies that lied themselves into the heads of the losers and uneducated, supported by Russian troll machines and manipulation software. Both don’t achieve anything than creating havoc and will ultimately fail. 

Both democratically elected and won fair ans square and as much as the losers can't handle the truth they continue to cry like spoiled children. The constant argument and directive of those that won are uneducated, stupid and bullies really says a lot. 

Both have created a lot. Thankfully both Trump and Brexit was a democratic vote. As for havoc the only thing that has created havoc with Brexit is the remainers in parliament who just can't accept the decision. As for Trump. he will probably win a second term, so no doubt there will be more 'crying rooms' set up across the US, as people just can't accept democracy.

36 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Both democratically elected and won fair ans square and as much as the losers can't handle the truth they continue to cry like spoiled children. The constant argument and directive of those that won are uneducated, stupid and bullies really says a lot. 

Both have created a lot. Thankfully both Trump and Brexit was a democratic vote. As for havoc the only thing that has created havoc with Brexit is the remainers in parliament who just can't accept the decision. As for Trump. he will probably win a second term, so no doubt there will be more 'crying rooms' set up across the US, as people just can't accept democracy.

Thank you for your post. It reminds me I had forgotten both share another commonality: a fan-base of far-right fanatics who consider manipulated votes “democratic” and blindly follow their Führer. 

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Thank you for your post. It reminds me I had forgotten both share another commonality: a fan-base of far-right fanatics who consider manipulated votes “democratic” and blindly follow their Führer. 

I will translate your post again. I disagree with someone I will call them far right. A democratic vote which I lost in, so I will stamp my feet and scream saying it was all manipulated and based on lies. This will make me feel better and justified

It seems to be the norm these days sadly.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Once again Trump is 100% correct

Yea, sure, okay. Just like he was 100% correct when he shut down the government.

Just like ...

Just like ...

and

Just like ...

I could just imagine the chaos if he'd been in charge of Brexit.

wait if theres no such things as trolls why does the comment section of every american news outlets filled with them? key words- nfl, border, anything about race, economics- these are a few of the top troll articles. the media being the number one target.  maybe they are not trolls- maybe its normal to have 30000 comments lol. funny thing- everyone over 10000 comments seems to like donald trump so much! lol. give it a try- go to the comments section and click on the name- it will tell you their past comments. i mean they are wise to it but its hard to keep the number down when your commenting so much. maybe I'm wrong- maybe these trump supporters love america so much they quit their jobs and write comments all day long lol. 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I will translate your post again. I disagree with someone I will call them far right.

If you don’t want to be called far-right, don’t be a far-right. 

A democratic vote which I lost in, so I will stamp my feet and scream saying it was all manipulated and based on lies.

If you don’t want to be called out for manipulation and lies, don’t manipulate and lie. 

This will make me feel better and justified

It seems to be the norm these days sadly.

Don’t be sad. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"But I gave the prime minister my ideas on how to negotiate it and I think you would have been successful. She didn't listen to that, and that's fine. I mean ... she's got to do what she's got to do. But I think it could have been negotiated in a different manner, frankly."

Given Trump's total incompetence in negotiating, and the general ineptitude of the UK Government over Brexit, the clues would seem to point to May actually taking his advice.

Archived