Chiang Mai haze shortening people’s lives, warns doctor

webfact

Chiang Mai haze shortening people’s lives, warns doctor

By SAKAORAT SIRIMA 
THE NATION

b3d8a5c2ce8477b410ab4b75eff33048-sld.jpe

MORE AND more Chiang Mai residents are suffering from health problems after a decade of inhaling particulates, a local medical expert warned recently.

“People in Chiang Mai have been suffering from smog problems for about 10 years already.

a2825067de9ef6de2c9850cf70ab25d0.jpeg

With such long exposure to harmful particulates in air, the number of deaths has been rising every year,” Dr Chaicharn Pothirat, who also lectures at Chiang Mai University’s Faculty of Medicine, said. “Overall, people’s lives are being shortened.” 

He decided to speak up to raise an alarm about air pollution, which has made Chiang Mai top the list of the world’s most polluted cities on several days this year. 

When the amount of PM2.5 dust particles – particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns – soars in air, so does the risk of lung cancer, stroke, lung inflammation and heart disease. 

“Many deaths are directly linked to PM2.5, so we should not ignore its risk any longer,” the renowned doctor warned.

50923e70ae3355fc0c0f7560d3c81a8c.jpeg

He also lamented that though the smog crisis has persisted for a decade now, the authorities have failed to seriously address the issue. 

“Not a single government has issued clear environment-related policies or prescribed tangible measures to deal with the dust problem,” he said. 

Chiang Mai’s PM2.5 annual average stood at 18 micrograms (mcg) per cubic metre of air between 2016 and 2018, well above the 10mcg safety limit set by the World Health Organisation. However, Thailand’s Pollution Control Department (PCD) insists that the safety limit should be around 25mcg per cubic metre of air. 

“For every 10mcg rise in PM2.5 particles, the number of deaths rise by 3.5 per cent every day,” Chaicharn noted. 

c723a573e83fff7e349fd7c381528fc8.jpeg

Given that air pollution in Chiang Mai has been at critical point for several weeks now, the doctor reckoned that the number of deaths in the city would increase by about 1.5 per cent over the next seven days. 

Chiang Mai is home to about 1.75 million people, including foreigners who have chosen to spend their retirement in this otherwise charming city. 

b669971f16b594a1aa353dd8cd1c5e25.jpeg

Chaicharn said every time there is an increase in PM2.5 levels, the number of patients rushed to hospital emergency rooms rose substantially. 

“There is also a noticeable increase in outpatients, who come to hospital with sinusitis, respiratory infections and tonsillitis,” he said, adding that these patients reflected the short-term impact of PM2.5. 

“As for long-term impacts, they will be multiplied by 10,” he warned, noting that a high level of PM2.5 affects children’s development and can even boost autism cases. 

“Among adults, there will be more cases of Alzheimer’s,” he added. 

He is not the only doctor worried about the health impacts of PM2.5. 

“Many doctors are wondering why the authorities have not addressed the PM2.5 problem seriously,” Chaicharn said.

Though agricultural fires have been identified as a major cause for air pollution, they continue taking place and the provincial authorities have no serious plans to address this problem, he said. 

“Many farmers don’t care about the ban on outdoor fires, because the enforcement of law is lax,” he said. Also, he pointed out, local residents don’t understand the serious threat to health caused by PM2.5, which allows the authorities to get away with doing little to tackle the problem. 

“But the threats to health are real. If we can cut the amount of PM2.5 in the air by 10mcg, Chiang Mai residents will be able to live four years longer on average,” he said, pointing out that the high level of pollution in the province has also cut tourism earnings by Bt10 billion. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30365841

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-15

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Not a single government has issued clear environment-related policies or prescribed tangible measures to deal with the dust problem,” he said. 

Chiang Mai is now the most polluted city in the whole world for the 4th day running. What an absolute disgrace! https://www.airvisual.com/

They seem to be more concerned about catching tourists who are vaping or smoking on the beach than these apocalyptic levels of pollution. 

why would people not try and do something about this? its a pretty wild thing. you would think that people would stand up for themselves at some point. purely from a business aspect at least. i mean chang mai is big on tourism, who would consider going to the most polluted place on earth?

Good on him.

He's the only medical man who has spoken out on this assault.

Anti smoking activists are active here...…………...but when it comes to this smog, nobody seems to care.

30 minutes ago, johnnykak said:

why would people not try and do something about this? its a pretty wild thing. you would think that people would stand up for themselves at some point. purely from a business aspect at least. i mean chang mai is big on tourism, who would consider going to the most polluted place on earth?

Lots and lots of chinese.

7 minutes ago, Ned said:

Good on him.

He's the only medical man who has spoken out on this assault.

Anti smoking activists are active here...…………...but when it comes to this smog, nobody seems to care.

Yes, I agree.

Knowing how Thailand works I expect him to come under intense pressure through his employer, his professional body, the MOPH, various licencing bodies to stop saying these publicly.

The only way any Thai government is ever going to enact meaningful change is if the MOPH force them to as they did with smoking. However since this is a difficult and large problem to deal with, I doubt any government has the political will to try and deal with it. If they can't deal with air pollution in Bangkok, they can't deal with it anywhere in Thailand.

Thailand’s Pollution Control Department (PCD) insists that the safety limit should be around 25mcg per cubic metre of air. 

Yeah, but. . . the Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation seems to think 50 microgrammes is acceptable.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/really-easy/1642636/pm2-5-levels-high-in-7-northern-provinces

Both figures are considerably higher than World Health Organisation recommendations for PM2.5 pollution, with many medical experts insisting there is NO safe level.

one of the locations in Chiang Mai was locked up at 499 AQI earlier.

I don't live in Chiang Mai but I have an Air Quality meter at home and two weeks ago they were spraying mosquito poison everywhere around here and my meter locked up at 499 too. (which means it was much higher in reality)

1552630120783.jpg

Chiang Mai is history for me. In talking with a well known poster via messaging on TV forum the poster basically told me that they are literally captives in chiang mai. The poster said her husband finishes his walk around chiang mai before 7 am and the start of the insane commute into the city with all the resultant air pollution being spewed from all sorts of vehicles. The poster and her husband are basically captive in their condo hold up in their room with air filters and a/c running to clean the air. The poster said they exercise in the gym in their condo so as to avoid going outdoors. When they go outside they take the large blue a/c buses or grab cab to avoid the foul air from all the tuk-tuks and songtaews and many other assorted vehicles spewing their toxic and poisonous exhaust into the air. To me this is unacceptable to be held prisoner in your condo and you can't even go outside to enjoy yourself. This is a hell of a way to be retired and I refuse to be subjected any further to the complete insanity that is going on. It is obvious nothing will ever get done because it all has to do with money and greed and burn those fields so more crops can be grown so more money can me made. So many innocent folks will die over time as a result of this out of control burning  but the prevailing mindset is that it is a cost to do business. and it doesn't impact the big players who are insulated from this insanity. I have also had enough of all the tuk-tuks and songtaews spewing their foul exhaust into the air and my time in chiang mai is ending. When I first came here 9 years ago I did have a little taste of what made chiang mai so special and I truly loved it. It was a magical place and  I loved exploring the many surrounding areas. Unfortunately each year that passed the conditions in chiang mai have worsened and now it is time to leave before I ruin my health totally. I feel bad for so many countless good people in chiang mai who are working or going to school to try and make a better life for themselves and are trapped here. I am thankful for my time in chiang mai but it is definitely time to leave.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

And to think you can get locked up for vaping and smoking on the beach 

Thats just for farang to supplement station tea money.

Burning is not farang but Thai and they will never pay any fines so why go after them, its pointless

21 minutes ago, watgate said:

Chiang Mai is history for me. In talking with a well known poster via messaging on TV forum the poster basically told me that they are literally captives in chiang mai. The poster said her husband finishes his walk around chiang mai before 7 am and the start of the insane commute into the city with all the resultant air pollution being spewed from all sorts of vehicles. The poster and her husband are basically captive in their condo hold up in their room with air filters and a/c running to clean the air. The poster said they exercise in the gym in their condo so as to avoid going outdoors. When they go outside they take the large blue a/c buses or grab cab to avoid the foul air from all the tuk-tuks and songtaews and many other assorted vehicles spewing their toxic and poisonous exhaust into the air. To me this is unacceptable to be held prisoner in your condo and you can't even go outside to enjoy yourself. This is a hell of a way to be retired and I refuse to be subjected any further to the complete insanity that is going on. It is obvious nothing will ever get done because it all has to do with money and greed and burn those fields so more crops can be grown so more money can me made. So many innocent folks will die over time as a result of this out of control burning  but the prevailing mindset is that it is a cost to do business. and it doesn't impact the big players who are insulated from this insanity. I have also had enough of all the tuk-tuks and songtaews spewing their foul exhaust into the air and my time in chiang mai is ending. When I first came here 9 years ago I did have a little taste of what made chiang mai so special and I truly loved it. It was a magical place and  I loved exploring the many surrounding areas. Unfortunately each year that passed the conditions in chiang mai have worsened and now it is time to leave before I ruin my health totally. I feel bad for so many countless good people in chiang mai who are working or going to school to try and make a better life for themselves and are trapped here. I am thankful for my time in chiang mai but it is definitely time to leave.

a year ago I used to live in Pai and there was some guy on a popular Facebook group that was constantly telling people to move away from the region for these months but he kept getting told to shut up by practically everyone.

everything he said happened and then worse, meters went all the way up to 470 I believe

for about a month and a half, all I would do was get up, take a shower, head downstairs to in my office (same house, just separated by stairs) and stay near the air purifier all day at the computer

I was absolutely not going to go walk or drive around anywhere in this smog

If I wanted to go to the market, we would go out at night around 10pm with the scooter and those proper masks always on. (hate those)

I'm a runner and quite fit which made my lungs better at processing air.. but it also makes it worse for me when there is polluted air.

before I left, I remember walking and you could SEE the smog within 100 meters and the short walk home - 3km (short for me) would leave me out of breath

I had to leave the girl I was with behind as she had a long term contract in the region, she wouldn't believe I would leave just for my health and thought i had someone waiting for me here (nope)

here's a screenshot of how it was yesterday in Pai too (she sent it to me)

1552617031009.jpg

12 hours ago, webfact said:

He also lamented that though the smog crisis has persisted for a decade now, the authorities have failed to seriously address the issue. 

Finally someone tells the truth, and speaks truth to power....   Unfortunately, no one in authority up there is even remotely interested in listening.

BTW, it's worth noting, most the photos that accompany the OP article showing various Thais wearing face masks...  from my look, almost all of them are the useless drugstore cheap variety kind that basically do nothing to filter out PM2.5.

When the air was somewhat bad in BKK a few weeks back, actual real N95 particulate filtering masks were almost impossible to find either in the regular stores or thru online channels -- all sold out.  I'd imagine, it's a similar situation in CM right now.  They simply don't have the supply to meet the demand.

Why would anyone live in CM voluntarily?  Especially during burning season. 

I moved to Pattaya , we have our share of pollution as well , but the fresh breeze from the ocean helps a lot. 

The worst pollution we've experienced been up to 160 PM 2.5 , but most of the days it shows green or yellow levels. 

4 minutes ago, balo said:

Why would anyone live in CM voluntarily?  Especially during burning season. 

I moved to Pattaya , we have our share of pollution as well , but the fresh breeze from the ocean helps a lot. 

The worst pollution we've experienced been up to 160 PM 2.5 , but most of the days it shows green or yellow levels. 

The main reason I chose Pattaya over CM was the air pollution situation.

But to be honest, especially this year, things get incredibly awful here too for a good while.

Worse I've ever seen it here.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Finally someone tells the truth, and speaks truth to power....   Unfortunately, no one in authority up there is even remotely interested in listening.

there are bigger worries.  and they are taking measures.  we are in a neutral ENSO condition which just barely went  to 'El Nino' a few weeks ago yet the officials are concerned for 2019 near term.  in the Philippines it is serious already, the projections near term.  if we have a 2015/2016 at any level more pervasive than it was back then,  we will have much more serious things to be prepared for than this smoky aerosol stuff.  there is only so much that can be done to stop folks from burning crop land.  just as with 'Climate' in a general sense, especially in the USA.        

34 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

there are bigger worries. 

My response to your comment above:

Air Pollution kills more people worldwide each year than does AIDS, malaria, diabetes or tuberculosis. For the United States and Europe, air pollution is equivalent in detrimental health effects to smoking 0.4 to 1.6 cigarettes per day. In China the numbers are far worse; on bad days the health effects of air pollution are comparable to the harm done smoking three packs per day (60 cigarettes) by every man, woman, and child. Air pollution is arguably the greatest environmental catastrophe in the world today.

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/

And from the World Health Organization:

Ambient (outdoor air pollution) is a major cause of death and disease globally. The health effects range from increased hospital admissions and emergency room visits, to increased risk of premature death.

An estimated 4.2 million premature deaths globally are linked to ambient air pollution, mainly from heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, and acute respiratory infections in children.

Worldwide ambient air pollution accounts for:

• 29% of all deaths and disease from lung cancer
  • 17% of all deaths and disease from acute lower respiratory infection
  • 24% of all deaths from stroke
  • 25% of all deaths and disease from ischaemic heart disease
  • 43% of all deaths and disease from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

https://www.who.int/airpollution/ambient/health-impacts/en/

Columbia University.  just released by email, March 19 AM in Thailand.

February update. 

for Thailand it has an added risk [which is my comment, not CU, after the quote]:

"If the 2019 El Nino is strong, it could presage a very high global temperature in 2020."

for SE Asia we tack on "too much rain".... meaning it falls in the ocean before ever arriving here, similar to 2015/2016 when the Maewang tributary near my village was bone dry, but today during a "drought" is almost full to the top.  anything much more pervasive or intense, or both, as a ENSO event compared to 2015/2016 and all of this current smoke problem will look like a blessing.  because it is a way to get a serious thinking done.  and be ready to mitigate risks on an individual and maybe village basis if we swing back to an El Nino. 

never forget this.  we have only 60 years of basic oceanographic data on the ENSO.  which doesn't mean we should not worry too much.  it means the total opposite.  and not use the word 'worry" but other words would be better.  "be prepared" is a good way to be.  once something becomes too obvious it is difficult  to rationally and unemotionally take action without a good prior plan in place.  that's just human, so to plan ahead is very important, yes? and then there could also be the "mob" aspect, hoarding and insufficient supplies of what we will need critically, unless we plan now.

February 2019 Global Temperature Update
Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions 
Earth Institute 
Columbia University

Archived