Attack on government minister walking to work shocks New Zealanders

webfact

Attack on government minister walking to work shocks New Zealanders

2019-03-14T235058Z_1_LYNXNPEF2D2EB_RTROPTP_4_NEWZEALAND-MINISTER-ATTACK.JPG

New Zealand Climate Change Minister James Shaw speaks to students during the global school strike for action on climate change outside New Zealand's parliament in Wellington, New Zealand, March 15, 2019. AAP Image/Boris Jancic/via REUTERS

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealanders have expressed shock after a government minister was punched in the face while walking to work, a rare attack in a country where politicians mingle freely with the public with no security cover.

James Shaw, the climate change minister and leader of the Green Party, was walking alone to parliament on Thursday when he was approached by a man who started talking to him before grabbing Shaw and punching him several times in the face.

Two people came to help the minister but the man quickly jumped into a vehicle and drove away. Police said a 47-year-old man was later arrested and charged over the attack, and is expected to appear in court on Friday.

Shaw, who suffered a black eye, went straight to work after the incident but later visited the hospital as a precautionary measure. It was not clear if the attack was politically motivated.

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the assault on Shaw was unprovoked and unexpected.

"We have an environment in New Zealand where politicians are accessible -- and that's something we should feel proud of," she said in a statement. "We are after all, here to serve people. But today's events really show we cannot take that for granted."

"I think all of us will probably be united in wanting to ensure we have the kind of political environment where everyone can hold their views, but they can do that safely," Ardern added.

The Prime Minister is the only New Zealand lawmaker given a security team. Other ministers and top officials walk freely and are often seen mixing with the public at shops and cafes in the capital Wellington.

Politicians condemned the attack on the minister and New Zealanders on Twitter cheered for Shaw's speedy recovery and said they hoped the incident would not reduce their access to ministers.

"Violence is never ok. We're thinking of you & look forward to seeing you back at parliament soon," the opposition National Party leader Simon Bridges said on Twitter after the attack.

Wellington mayor Justin Lester said it was "a sad day for democracy".

"This is outrageous behaviour and if undertaken by a Wellingtonian, shameful. Elected representatives of all hues show courage to represent New Zealanders & we are lucky to have unparalleled access to them," he added.

Serious crimes are rare in the New Zealand and attacks on lawmakers are almost unheard of. The only other recent instance was in 2016 when a protester threw a sex toy at Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce during a news conference.

(Reporting by Praveen Menon; Editing by Catherine Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-15

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

What are the odds this was not politically motivated rather he was banging a woman he wasnt supposed to be banging.

In Australia that would get you shot but in NZ you'll just cop a black eye albeit a nasty one.

Parker said Shaw had told him the perpetrator was "shouting things out about the United Nations."

So that will be a no on that then

What are the odds this was not politically motivated rather he was banging a woman he wasnt supposed to be banging.

In Australia that would get you shot but in NZ you'll just cop a black eye albeit a nasty one.

What are the odds that if this was a right wing minister you'd be singing a different tune entirely.

I thought that too!

But the assailant could have just been a nutter.

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

The odds of this not being politically motivated are about the same odds as me winning the Thai lottery.

Millions to one.

After I smoked enough MaryJane when I was a kid, I passed through some sort of no violence barrier and was allowed in.  I have to constantly remind myself though that most people don't even know it exists let alone try to break through it.  I think testosterone should be removed at birth.

22 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Your juvenile post is without merit. I suggest taking an inward look at your outward view.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, Lucius verus said:

Oh please why bring everything down to the lowest common denominator?

please inform us the last time a politician was shot in Australia, despite many indulging in extramarital relationships

"We have an environment in New Zealand where politicians are accessible -- and that's something we should feel proud of," she said in a statement. "We are after all, here to serve people. "

That is commendable and I hope this incident does nothing to change that. Would that the leaders of other nations were as accessible to their constituents.

42 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

That is commendable and I hope this incident does nothing to change that. Would that the leaders of other nations were as accessible to their constituents.

I think that it is still possible to get an appointment to speak to your MP at their constituency office.

39 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

NZ PM keeps saying things are 'unexpected' time to change PM! 

Risk management is part and parcel of any effective government - stop saying 'this was unexpected' and do your job.

Rubbish.

The NZ government has been operating like this for decades without any problem. They are correct when they say it is totally unexpected.

If you plan for the unexpected, please tell us all what unexpected things do you plan for?

On 3/16/2019 at 12:38 PM, billd766 said:

Rubbish.

The NZ government has been operating like this for decades without any problem. They are correct when they say it is totally unexpected.

If you plan for the unexpected, please tell us all what unexpected things do you plan for?

You have no understanding of risk management or contingency planning. The world is full of terrorist attacks or hadn't you noticed?  of course they should PLAN for it.

10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You have no understanding of risk management or contingency planning. The world is full of terrorist attacks or hadn't you noticed?  of course they should PLAN for it.

You sound like you’re trying to sound like an expert.

On the basis of your own posting history any terrorism risk management you’d have put in place would have failed on account of your myopic view of where the threat is coming from.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

So if nobody knows what all the risks are, then how will they know what to plan for?

How many schools in the USA have been attacked and students murdered? Was there a plan for that? If so, why does it keep happening?

People in the UK and France have been mown down by cars and trucks? do they have a plan for that? It keeps happening

People in bars, cafes, railway stations, trams, concerts etc have been murdered. Was there a plan to stop that? It keeps happening.

What YOU fail to understand is that there is only so much that governments can do to keep people safe from harm without banning people from leaving their homes.

If you are so smart why aren't you a government minister of security somewhere actually planning for all this instead of sitting behind a keyboard on a forum.

10 hours ago, tlandtday said:

no point trying to ascertain one's political leanings if insane... simply a nutcase

From what I have read about this guy is that he was simply very weak minded. He's a communist, he's a fascist, he's an admirer of China's authoritarianism and a tree hugger. In short, he's a mess. And speaking of short he is short in stature and seemed to be overcompensating. It happens.

Archived