American good Samaritan: Phi Phi police arrest one of three attackers

webfact

American good Samaritan: Phi Phi police arrest one of three attackers

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

One of the men who attacked an American man on the beach at Koh Phi Phi has been arrested. 

The American - Stephen Trimble, 25 from Florida - had tried to help a woman whose bag was taken while she was out swimming. He was set upon by three men suffering several injuries including a tear to a tendon of his knee. 

He related the incident on Instagram with a picture of himself covered in blood. He said he was told by Koh Phi Phi police to come back in the morning to report it. 

Krabi immigration heard of the story and went to the island. Koh Phi Phi police confirmed that the reason they asked Mr Trimble to come back was that he was drunk. 

But he never came back to report what had happened. Immigration found out that he had arrived with a US friend called Luke Barrow, 29, on March 5th at Phuket Airport from China. 

After the incident in Phi Phi he went to stay at the Moment Hostel in Ao Nang on the mainland before purchasing a ticket to Koh Pangan to attend next week's full moon party. 

Police want to talk to him so that he can help identify his attackers. 

Yesterday evening one man was arrested in connection with the attack. Two more are expected to be in custody shortly. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-15

Seems he did not tell the whole truth, he was drunk and the police send him to his hotel. Seems like a good idea to me. Better to interrogate someone who is sober. 

But at least the guy did not lie about the attack. 

2 hours ago, rebo said:

This is what police say.
I'm not sure at all whether it's true or not.

Three attackers, possibly Thais? I only presume since they never attack foreigners alone. What if the attackers know the Koh Phi Phi police? Many questions needs answer here, a new case for the TV detectives?  

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Seems he did not tell the whole truth, he was drunk and the police send him to his hotel. Seems like a good idea to me. Better to interrogate someone who is sober. 

Wow. You are quick to believe Thai police. Surprised you can actually read and post A LOT here. Let me ask you. Do you believe in different degrees of being drunk or is two beers and twelve beers and eight shots the same?  

Wonder if any of the VERY vocal posters who claimed the story was BS yesterday will come back and admit they were wrong. As I predicted in a post yesterday they rarely if ever do. But since it was just yesterday maybe some can have the balls to do it. 

5 minutes ago, mike787 said:

I was told during divorce...there's her side of the story...my side...and then somewhere in the middle lies the TRUTH!  Same here...

So what you are saying for this EXACT story and not you silly wife’s story is that even if he had a few drinks his side of the story is not true or even made up?? He was attached by 3 , he saw someone take belongings of someone else , he was injured , he saw a policeman and the police said to come back the next day. Please explain what the “ middle “ is since you just posted and your post is fresh in your head. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Oh, you are that well known TV detective! 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

The Full Moon Parties are the mother of all idiot magnets.

I've never been to one in Thailand, nor do I have any desire to go.

However, the Full Moon parties at the Bomba Shack on Tortola back in the 90's were a rockin' good time. I was at a few and never saw any idiocy.

Bomba would go out into the jungle and pick "mushrooms" and half fill a glass carboy then fill the rest with rum punch and let it simmer for a month. Then he'd break it out on the full moon.

Anyone ever do a Bomba full moon party?

4 hours ago, rebo said:

This is what police say.
I'm not sure at all whether it's true or not.

Here in this land of happiness they say:

Honesty is hard to come by,

Falsehood is trade like a commodity

Someone once told me "Honesty is only for those who can afford it"

If you are very rich could you really afford to be honest in your tax return in this land of happiness.

It doesn't matter if this guy had been drinking. The police should have questioned him immediately. Important details can be lost. The officer then could have identified possible witnesses (the girl and others) still in the area even if the victim was too drunk to make a coherent statement. The location possible witnesses, and time could at a minimum be determined if a preliminary report is taken... That gets fuzzy the next day... 

Also, if a drunk guy has been assaulted... As a public servant one should make sure he gets home safe or to medical treatment.

It sounds like the officer (doesn't say what kind) was on a personal motobike. He was likely headed home or elsewhere and perhaps not on duty...

His drinking doesn't mean he was wrong. I'd hate to be ignored in an emergency if I had a few drinks. 

2 minutes ago, jdlancaster said:

It doesn't matter if this guy had been drinking. The police should have questioned him immediately. Important details can be lost. The officer then could have identified possible witnesses (the girl and others) still in the area even if the victim was too drunk to make a coherent statement. The location possible witnesses, and time could at a minimum be determined if a preliminary report is taken... That gets fuzzy the next day... 

Also, if a drunk guy has been assaulted... As a public servant one should make sure he gets home safe or to medical treatment.

It sounds like the officer (doesn't say what kind) was on a personal motobike. He was likely headed home or elsewhere and perhaps not on duty...

His drinking doesn't mean he was wrong. I'd hate to be ignored in an emergency if I had a few drinks. 

Thai police work is different from western countrys, if you are rich here and have BIB friends they may help you, if you ar a low budget backpacker and get assaulted, get away from the island as soon as possible.  (me think the three offenders have police friends).

7 hours ago, robblok said:

What part does not seem he told the whole truth? Especially, since you say, " . . . at least the guy did not lie about the attack."  

7 hours ago, robblok said:

:biggrin:   Now why did I expect a post like this, first post, Kah Ching and there it is; The money shot. It may be all true ...... but but but ... 'like he was drunk ..... even if he .....  didn't lie'

Can we denigrate the guy a little more, for doing the right thing, at a real risk to his life and limb?!  :thumbsup: I think we can. Lets have a race to the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Really?

The lawyer take you for a motzah,did he?

Really?

Is this OP about a vicious attack of an American at Phi Phi or lawyers and divorce cases? Where is all TV desktop detectives, they usually solve cases like this in a few minutes? 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

How old are you?

It doesnt matter if you're young or old , it's stupid to get drunk and get high in Thailand. Live healthy and enjoy life. 

5 minutes ago, bander said:

Really?

Is this OP about a vicious attack of an American at Phi Phi or lawyers and divorce cases? Where is all TV desktop detectives, they usually solve cases like this in a few minutes? 

I have stated my piece.

I go with the Yank as the Thai police force is one of the most corrupt and inefficient on the planet.

What say you,Keanu?

Archived