Nakhon Nayok: Fisherman dies in minutes after his catch goes down his throat

webfact

Fisherman dies in minutes after his catch goes down his throat

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A fisherman in Nakhon Nayok had a tragic end when a fish he had just caught with his bare hands and put between his teeth went down his throat. 

Forty one year old Uthai Ngamwaja's friends tried to dislodge the "Pla Mor" (a kind of cichlid) but failed. 

Rescue services arrived but Uthai died on the way to hospital. 

Reporters at his cremation rites at Wat Na Hin Lat in Hin Lat sub-district of Nakorn Nayok were shown a picture of what remained of the fish.

It was the head that remained of a three inch fish. 

Relative Nareumon Khonman said that Uthai had gone with friends to catch fish at a pond near his house. He had got one in his hands and trapped another under his foot. 

While he was bending down to retrieve the one under his foot he put the first one between his lips and bit on it.

But the fish wriggled free and went down his throat. 

His friends tried to dislodge the fish but only blood came up. 

Rescue services said that within 13 minutes of the incident the man had died from lack of oxygen. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-15

Tried to teach my wife the Heimlich manoeuvre, she had never heard of it. Questioning other village Thais I know, none of them knew anything about it. As far as I can tell, it's never mentioned or taught in school, so this man may have been a victim of that lack of general knowledge. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Tried to teach my wife the Heimlich manoeuvre, she had never heard of it. Questioning other village Thais I know, none of them knew anything about it. As far as I can tell, it's never mentioned or taught in school, so this man may have been a victim of that lack of general knowledge. 

Very little is known or taught regarding first-aid to any age here !

I wonder how many people could have been saved over the years with a little knowledge before the emergency services arrive?

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Fins on fish likely a hindrance to dislodging it that way, but no harm trying.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I once, in a heat of passion tried to rip a women panntties with my teeth, forgetting that i wear dentures,, oh boy, that was embarrassing... 

nice. come on over here and bring paper towels and some windex

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Tell me about it.

Mind you, they don't teach first aid at any school. Here or in the west. They would rather teach that an invisible man is always watching you. He is all powerful, but will only save you when your dead, (if you do as your told) and for some reason he needs your money!

40 minutes ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Tell me about it.

Mind you, they don't teach first aid at any school. Here or in the west. They would rather teach that an invisible man is always watching you. He is all powerful, but will only save you when your dead, (if you do as your told) and for some reason he needs your money!

Many schools in Thailand and around the world teach first aid to their students. Such activities are very popular and beneficial. As an example, perhaps you did not read the good story from Pattaya the other week in which the first responder at a road accident was a high school boy who learned what to do in class. 

Rooster

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It is now deemed useless and no taught as a first aid skill.

A good short sharp thump between shoulder blades deemed to be more effective.

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Well, I only know the Heimlich manoeuvre from a german crime series where one of the actors plays a doctor and is a "friend" of the investigator. (Tatort) I never heard of it before and most certainly don't grasp how it exactly works (yes I have seen it and when I think it is necessary I will try it ... but no: it is not taucht in school or first aid classes)

Only hope would be a field trachy. Beyond the knowledge/ ability (preparedness) of most people. Heimlich maneuver unlikely to work. From the photos showing only the head it looks like they pulled it out piece by piece. 

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

It is now deemed useless and no taught as a first aid skill.

That's not quite true. It's no longer recommended as the primary method in many countries but most protocols (including those of the European Resuscitation Council and the Mayo Clinic) still include it, although they recommend encouraging the victim to cough first, followed by hard back slaps second and only if these don't succeed, then abdominal thrusts (the Heimlich Manoeuvre) or chest thrusts can be used as a last resort. 

I can personally attest to the fact that the Heimlich Manoeuvre is not useless, I once got a large chunk of steak firmly lodged in my throat - I couldn't breathe at all, my windpipe was completely blocked and a fellow dinner guest successfully used the Heimlich Manoeuvre to dislodge it, probably saving my life.

The main reason why the manoeuvre has been 'downgraded' according to an article on the NHS website is that, "even when done correctly, [...] bruising to the abdomen is highly likely and more serious injuries can occur" and other less risky techniques can be tried first, as mentioned above.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:05 AM, Pilotman said:

The Heimlich manoeuvre couldn't helped here at all if the fish went in head first. The anatomical physique of the fish makes it only go inside deeper. The fins and stuff makes it impossible to get it out backwards.

Archived